Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
msapers

Drives: 2010 SS L99
HELP! I killed my car and now I'm losing my mind!

Hi All,

I hope you can help me. This is my first post here, but I've been reading for a while. I've tried searching here and other places to no avail.
I have a 2010 SS L99 with 36,000 miles on it. I am the second owner. It’s bone stock with the exception of Flowmaster mufflers installed by the previous owner. I love the car…or at least I did until last month. Now I am at my wits end and seriously considering fixing it with a flame thrower, checking myself into a psychiatric facility for a nice rest …or possibly both.
I was using my Diablosport Intune to adjust the tune from stock to fun before a roadtrip. It went haywire during the writing of the tune. It ended up writing a partial tune and not backing up the stock tune. This caused a no start/no crank condition. Once I got the tuner sorted out (reset, updates, etc) it showed “No PCM detected”.
Thinking that the tuner had erased my factory tune and hosed my computer, I bought a remanufactured computer programmed to my VIN. I followed the instructions that came with the new computer to the letter: Battery charged, disconnect battery for 30 minutes, install new computer, reconnect battery, key on for 5 minutes, key off, try to start. NOTHING. I noticed that security light was on. Tried key relearn procedure: Key on for 10 minutes until light turns off, Key off for 30 seconds, Key on again for 10 minutes until light turns off, Key off for 30 seconds, Key on again for 10 minutes until light begins to flash – LIGHT NEVER FLASHED.
Now, when I try the key relearn procedure, the light doesn’t go off after 10 minutes. The car still won’t crank or start and I don’t know what to do. Everything else works, windows, lights, horn, radio, seats, key fob remotes…just not the $##@## engine!
I have been building custom cars and motorcycles for 30 years. I can machine parts from a block of metal, assemble an engine in my sleep. I have never been beaten by a car before but I admit defeat.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
msapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
You might have to tow to a dealership for a proper reprogram of the new PCM to the car.

I'm thinking you bricked your original, and the new one just isn't pairing.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Reason #14307983146963154 to NEVER use a handheld. cost is damn near the same to get your car dyno tuned and most reputable shops offer discounted re-tunes to keep your business. before everyone jumps me with the "my 75,000 whp car is tuned with diablo I've never had problems" I've known too many people who didn't know 100% of what they were doing to get to this point with one of these things and spend twice as much as a damn good dyno tune.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp

Last edited by LETHAL2SS; 03-19-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: gremmerderfurder
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
You might have to tow to a dealership for a proper reprogram of the new PCM to the car.

Agreed. Take my advice with a grain of salt but sounds like there's a broken piece of code somewhere. May have to take it in for a solid reprogram.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
msapers

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. Any idea how much this will cost?
msapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by msapers View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Any idea how much this will cost?
I would give them a call, it should really only cost an hour's worth of labor for your shop if you already have the spare PCM, and it works.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had the same issue with my 95 z28 years ago. Bought a tuner from lingenfelter... loaded partial tune. Car would not start. Had to send the pcm to them for them to straighen in out. That was the end of handhelds for me...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
rofl..believe what you wish...and why would there be a HUGE ongoing market for these? OP's problems could be related to WTF and who the f cars...lol

seriously...battery fully charged?(or better yet a new one if yours is over 5 yr old) and DO you know WTF your doin?

canned tuned from the manu of the hands helds are SH!T IMHO...the only thing the hand held is good for is xfer'n your custom remote tune...preferably by dynoSteve at RDP.

until I go big N/A or F/I...Mr. Steve has my back...and would prob make the trip to have him do the dyno!

OP...get the stealership to save ur a$$ and consider it a lesson learned...sell the Diablo and get RDP's XCT/tunes free for LIFE deal! On my 3rd tune and they just keep gettin better....peace

btw - check out my other thread back to the track 2018....
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
rofl..believe what you wish...and why would there be a HUGE ongoing market for these? OP's problems could be related to WTF and who the f cars...lol

seriously...battery fully charged?(or better yet a new one if yours is over 5 yr old) and DO you know WTF your doin?

canned tuned from the manu of the hands helds are SH!T IMHO...the only thing the hand held is good for is xfer'n your custom remote tune...preferably by dynoSteve at RDP.

until I go big N/A or F/I...Mr. Steve has my back...and would prob make the trip to have him do the dyno!

OP...get the stealership to save ur a$$ and consider it a lesson learned...sell the Diablo and get RDP's XCT/tunes free for LIFE deal! On my 3rd tune and they just keep gettin better....peace

For the record, I was speaking of the canned tunes and how detrimental they can be to a vehicle if you don't know exactly what you're doing...
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
frankwjr

10-4 bro...clarification is awesome! peace
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post

Your logic of “because lots of people buy it so they must be good” is laughable. Lots of people buy Jet peformance chips and throttle body spacers, must mean they are great too!

Your buddy and his SCT tunes isn’t perfect, I know that personally. Best bet it to find a shop that you can trust and get a dyno tune. The reason there is a cost for every tune is that a lot goes into tuning a car correctly. Hard work isn’t cheap, cheap work isn’t hard.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I would give them a call, it should really only cost an hour's worth of labor for your shop if you already have the spare PCM, and it works.
This, so it really just comes down to how much they're going to charge you for that hour. I think it was like $50 for me to have new PCM programmed, they installed it and reinstalled the old one too when they were done for free granted I told them I was fine doing that myself.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Your logic of “because lots of people buy it so they must be good” is laughable. Lots of people buy Jet peformance chips and throttle body spacers, must mean they are great too!

Your buddy and his SCT tunes isn’t perfect, I know that personally. Best bet it to find a shop that you can trust and get a dyno tune. The reason there is a cost for every tune is that a lot goes into tuning a car correctly. Hard work isn’t cheap, cheap work isn’t hard.
so this is you pissin off at me for another issue entirely? sir? if you want to add to the conversation...awesome...if you want to attack me on my opinions based on my personal experience and the ONLY reason I post is to HELP peeps...u r doin wat?

don't reply since it would only prove that it is u that is the fool sir! good day!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
OP if you bought a Diablo they should be able to provide you with some support? I know some folks have had SCTX4 issues at times and they can usually recover the stock tune it seems. Might be worth a phone call to them and see?
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote