Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that includes shipping to Hawaii which isnt cheap.

Taz
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Fingers crossed for you.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Just got an engine from AES. Was very happy with the time it took (3 weeks) and it was with a dragonslayer crank, billet rods ect...so some serious parts that have to be ordered in.
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Kurt Urban is one of the best if not the very best LSx builder in the country. It's not as big a deal with the power you want to make but if you were building a 2500hp LSx that's where you separate people like kurt and everyone else. Most smaller highend shops like Kurt or even hke you gonna have a Long wait kinda of the norm with these guys. Once Lamar walden got my block And parts in he built the engine in less than a week.
This X1000!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
My old builder once told me, the biggest time taker is waiting for parts, especially if custom.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Thats what I have heard. Thats why we chose Kurt over Nelson Racing (Nelson Racing quoted 6-9 months to build which was to long of a wait and was one of the reasons going with Kurt). The engine was built about 3 months ago and at that time waiting to fix the dyno for engine break-in, then was told needed to replace the pistons and later (about 2 months ago) was told pistons are in and engine would ship in one-two weeks. No updates since then. Currently have no updated info on how much longer of a wait or whats the issue. Guess I wouldnt be so upset if I was better kept in the loop and I didnt have the car sitting in the shop since july just waiting for an engine. If I knew whats going on with the build, I wouldnt have a problem. Wish he would at least call and say "engine should ship on month/day. At least I could make plans and if I ever need to do this again, to continue to drive my car until the engine arrives.

Taz
If it was me.....I would have contacted the builder (if you have not already) & question the reason(s) the delay & have him commit to a firm ship date which is acceptable to you?

Best of luck -

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
$60k for twin turbos and custom built forged engine? That is app $20k more than a callies dragonslayer crank, best rods, forged pistons, balanced and blueprinted, premium CNC ported heads, and the best ceramic ball bearing turbo's available all installed would run.

And thats built with over 38 years of race & performance engine building by a shop that has multiple divisonal, national, and world championships in both NHRA & IHRA in several classes.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Thats what I have heard. Thats why we chose Kurt over Nelson Racing (Nelson Racing quoted 6-9 months to build which was to long of a wait and was one of the reasons going with Kurt). The engine was built about 3 months ago and at that time waiting to fix the dyno for engine break-in, then was told needed to replace the pistons and later (about 2 months ago) was told pistons are in and engine would ship in one-two weeks. No updates since then. Currently have no updated info on how much longer of a wait or whats the issue. Guess I wouldnt be so upset if I was better kept in the loop and I didnt have the car sitting in the shop since july just waiting for an engine. If I knew whats going on with the build, I wouldnt have a problem. Wish he would at least call and say "engine should ship on month/day. At least I could make plans and if I ever need to do this again, to continue to drive my car until the engine arrives.

Taz
Yeah I Understand your being upset with the contact issues for sure.... The plus side of this is Kurt more than likely knows the LSX RHS block better than anyone he knows for sure what works and what doesn't when it comes to big power. Sure Most any decent shop can deck and hone the block and put it together with good parts. Very few Guys like Kurt have broken parts over and over with the RHS pushing it to the max and figuring out how to make it better. I hope It All works out for you. Sounds like a great build.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Taz - I'm going to give you the average guy perspective. I realize your builder may be the best ever and good things take time but come on guys - seven months and little communication - really? That would be acceptable to any of you big HP guys?

I had the best custom home builder in my area build my house two years ago and he started with an uncleared lot and I moved in in 6 1/2 months. So one engine takes longer than that? I see this happening on many of these high HP builds. Should you tolerate slow unresponsive service and give people tens of thousands of dollars for it and feel like you have to beg people to do it for you - I just don't get it.

Taz - good luck and stick to your guns - ytou deserve better than this IMO.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Taz - I'm going to give you the average guy perspective. I realize your builder may be the best ever and good things take time but come on guys - seven months and little communication - really? That would be acceptable to any of you big HP guys?

I had the best custom home builder in my area build my house two years ago and he started with an uncleared lot and I moved in in 6 1/2 months. So one engine takes longer than that? I see this happening on many of these high HP builds. Should you tolerate slow unresponsive service and give people tens of thousands of dollars for it and feel like you have to beg people to do it for you - I just don't get it.

Taz - good luck and stick to your guns - ytou deserve better than this IMO.
Yup. The aftermarket/performance business gets by with this crap. How long does it take to return a phone call or email? No other business does this and gets away with it for long. I've crossed several shops off of my list because of this very issue. I'm not one that needs his hand held during a build, but if the builder tells me things will be done in a particular time frame.......and they aren't.....it's not asking too much for a little communication as to why it's not done and when it will get done. ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE MY MONEY!!! It's a pretty helpless feeling to be in this situration. I used to do all my own work for this reason, but I don't enjoy turning wrenches as much as I did when younger. Hope this gets done sometime soon to Taz's satisfaction
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
Update.

Thanks for all your responses and advise. I really do appreciate it.

Update:

Well, I finally got the scoop.

After paying to have the engine built by Kurt Urban back in May and being told that the engine would be finished and shipped by July. I was looking forward to enjoying my new engine. After many delays such as engine completed but dyno broke, to gotta replace the pistons, to will ship in 1 to 2 weeks (early November), to not having the time to put it together (at this time we requested that he ship the parts to us and we would have to build the engine locally). Well my installer and owner of a local performance shop needed to find out what was going on since he had paid for two engines to be built by Kurt and both cars are sitting just waiting for the engines, he decided to fly out to North Carolina to Kurts shop unannounced to find out what was going on. When my installer showed up bright and early Monday morning, he was surprised that Kurts shop was closed and he had gone out of business. All of his employees were let go and they were looking for jobs elsewhere. And even worse he knew that he couldn’t build the engines back in May, but went ahead and took the money for the engine builds. Unfortunately there is no money left for us to get back from Kurt, so basically I have lost all the money I had saved for a new engine and now have a 2010 camaro that’s in a need for an engine since my old engine has been sold to help pay for the new engine. How disappointing! I cant believe anyone would actually take money from someone else knowing he was going to have issues to produce the end project. At least I now know what is going on, even if its bad news.

Taz
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
I feel for you. I've been in your situation, but not to this extent. Hope you recover and prosper.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Wow that's crap. Time to start the legal process.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Holy f***ing sh!t. What a nightmare. I experienced this same thing when I had a trans built for my 4th gen. Luckily I was covered through VISA and got all my money back. Good luck getting yours back bro I feel for ya. Thats crazy and even though it didnt happen to me it makes me pretty mad that someone would do this. You should tell everyone and post what happened on LS1tech.