Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 07-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Trailers

What trailers is everyone using and what is your opinion of quality? I’ve been look8ng st open, enclosed, and air bagged. Everytime I think I’ve settled on what I want I find to many bd reviews online and second guess myself. Looking for some honest feedback on here since I’m sure I’ll find negative reviews on every trailer company.
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
I have a Diamond C 12CHS with the rock guard, tongue tool box, aluminum wheels and spare. Honestly, I have only had the car on it for about 250 miles behind my 1500 GMC. It pulls like a dream. Mods done to it. Cut a foot off the top of the rock guard. Relocated the switch for the under car lights next to the jack(got the drop leg). Mounted 1 round LED light at each end of the rock guard and moved the license plate to the center on a removable bracket.
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Thanks
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I run the 102 Ironworks Challenger. I have the box on the front of the trailer as pictured.... The box protects the front of the car while traveling... from rocks, road tar and bugs..... In rain, you are looking at a clean-up, aisle nine upon arrival at your destination...

Issues:
If you order one of these, or really any trailer, check the bering nut before you pull it off the lot, have them check the bearing nuts on each wheel.... Mine were all loose and it cost me a set of tires before I ever got it home.... Never had another issue sine the bearings were checked and the nuts properly tightened.... Three of the four bearing sets were replaced due to wear from the nut being loose....

Mods:
I added a 3,200 lb straight line pull winch to it.... Worked great. Battery sits in the box. I'll move the winch inside the box and use the fairlead at the box penetration... I just haven't set that up yet....

I added E-trac to the trailer deck and use the E-clips for my tire webs.... I don't like tying the suspension down, so I use the webs and let the cars suspension do what it's supposed to.... I broke the start and stop of the E-trac at the dove tail drop and that gives me a consistent location for spotting my car on the tailer at the good balance point each and every time.... As an aside.... My doors open over the top of the fenders.... and I did add the removable fender on the drivers side.... I use it occasionally for cars lower than mine... Vette's etc....

I added rope lights to the key slot as well as the back of the box, the inside of the fender wells lighting up the deck, and inside the box so I can see in there.... The key slot and rear ramps makes for a great place to get under the car for specific work items... Back the car off the trailer, or drive it onto the ramps and stop where needed.... Crib the back of the trailer and you have good access under the car...

Trailer tows like a dream, has 4 wheel brakes, and 5200 lb axles...

If I could do it again, I would buy the same trailer with the tilt deck rather than the ramps.... Having said that, my car is lowered and I don't know how the tilt deck angle will affect the Camaro front end...

http://texastrailerman.com/New28.htm
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
20' open air from AAA in Texas. Paint sucks but amazing deal and solid otherwise. Couldn't pass up the price and customization options, 6ish week wait for custom built to your specs.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I run the 102 Ironworks Challenger. I have the box on the front of the trailer as pictured.... The box protects the front of the car while traveling... from rocks, road tar and bugs..... In rain, you are looking at a clean-up, aisle nine upon arrival at your destination...

Issues:
If you order one of these, or really any trailer, check the bering nut before you pull it off the lot, have them check the bearing nuts on each wheel.... Mine were all loose and it cost me a set of tires before I ever got it home.... Never had another issue sine the bearings were checked and the nuts properly tightened.... Three of the four bearing sets were replaced due to wear from the nut being loose....

Mods:
I added a 3,200 lb straight line pull winch to it.... Worked great. Battery sits in the box. I'll move the winch inside the box and use the fairlead at the box penetration... I just haven't set that up yet....

I added E-trac to the trailer deck and use the E-clips for my tire webs.... I don't like tying the suspension down, so I use the webs and let the cars suspension do what it's supposed to.... I broke the start and stop of the E-trac at the dove tail drop and that gives me a consistent location for spotting my car on the tailer at the good balance point each and every time.... As an aside.... My doors open over the top of the fenders.... and I did add the removable fender on the drivers side.... I use it occasionally for cars lower than mine... Vette's etc....

I added rope lights to the key slot as well as the back of the box, the inside of the fender wells lighting up the deck, and inside the box so I can see in there.... The key slot and rear ramps makes for a great place to get under the car for specific work items... Back the car off the trailer, or drive it onto the ramps and stop where needed.... Crib the back of the trailer and you have good access under the car...

If I could do it again, I would buy the same trailer with the tilt deck rather than the ramps.... Having said that, my car is lowered and I don't know how the tilt deck angle will affect the Camaro front end...

That’s a nice trailer. Thinking of stopping in at happy trailers on way past Dallas next week and getting a maxx’d air bagged drop trailer. Was on fence about front shield but you may just have convinced me.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I bought a new diamond c 18 ft CHS deluxe open car trailer a couple of years ago. Took about 2-3 months for mine to be made. PPG silver painted to match my truck. Brakes on both 3500# axles. Extra tie down points where I wanted them. Bullnose coupler and tire upgrade. Also did the built in racer/storage box. This was by far ones of the nicest looking open trailers I've ever seen no question. It pulled very nice and straight empty or with a load on it. I had only seen one around here in my area ever and that was almost 10 years ago. I told myself then that if I was ever going to get a car trailer then that's the model I wanted.

Well I ended up selling the trailer just shy of 2 years after I took delivery of it. The manufacturer didn't clean and prep the metal properly before painting it. I noticed after about 7 months the fenders we're starting to bubble like really bad. Upon closer inspection I started to notice it all over the trailer. Well diamond c paint warranty is only like 30 or 60 days so I after talking with one of the managers at diamond c and sending plenty of pictures to the man he finally agreed to take care of the worst part which was the fenders. Told me to use whoever I wanted and they would cover it up to $500 dollars. When the body shop sanded down the fenders they said another year and I would've had holes 100% So they fixed my fenders up really nice but with the rest of the trailer gaining more and more bad spots I decided to let it go instead of having a huge mess to deal with. I sold it within $300.00 two years after I had it built. But it was just a shame.

Such a awesome looking and riding trailer but if you don't prep the metal properly, it doesn't matter if you use PPG paint or not. Most all quotes we're in the $3-4,000 range to strip and repaint the trailer which on the high end was getting close to what I paided for it. FYI Google diamond c trailer paint problems and you will find plenty of other customers complaints. And if I was looking at another steel unit I'd look at ironworks trailers. Good luck
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Issues:

Mods:

Holy crap! I'v seen that car on I45 once (on the trailer of course! I was on my Goldwing, but sure was perty! I think it was around Conroe.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
Holy crap! I'v seen that car on I45 once (on the trailer of course! I was on my Goldwing, but sure was perty! I think it was around Conroe.
Thats very possible, I've been over there a number of times to get some special tuning done....

About three years ago,, I hauled a friends (Tag Ur It) Camaro to Bowling Green from Houston.... It's a ZL1 close to the same color as mine.... and the following year he used my truck and trailer to haul up there again....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #10
Roader

Where do you all use for toe down points? Was two front tires and then a secondary strap in front and rear. Just not sure in best place to hook it up to. Read to much online and got a million opinions so figured ask the guys with camaros.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Where do you all use for toe down points? Was two front tires and then a secondary strap in front and rear. Just not sure in best place to hook it up to. Read to much online and got a million opinions so figured ask the guys with camaros.
I have Mac's tie down tire blocks on the front and I grab the lower control arm in the back. I will be going to tire blocks for the rear before I tow again though. They are super easy to hook up, very secure and like SSE 4 2SS said above me they allow the suspension to work like it is supposed to which is a plus.

As for what kind of trailer I have. It is a home made trailer very similar to SSE 4 2SS's just with some extra bars on top of the box for extra storage and a tire rack. I have added a swing up fender to and a winch point on the front of the deck by the box. Added e-track to the front half with anchor point winches for the tire blocks. Will be adding e-track to the back half of it for more tire blocks in the future. Will also be painting it and correcting some of the wiring and lighting. I'm taking the whole built not bought thing the the extreme.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have a 28' enclosed CargoMate with 15000 btu ac. Love it.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
Roader

Thanks for all feedback. Things got in the way and wasn’t able to get a trailer for the summer racing season. I’ll be near a large sundowner dealer in a few weeks and going to stop in and look at one of their open trailers.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
I purchased the ZL1-Addons tie down points at CFest. They worked great on my trip home. Going up I went through the wheels on the front. https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...5-strap-points

They have them for both 5th and 6th Gens