Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #71
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Not exactly.... this has been misquoted and misunderstood often. Al said that the 1LE is for "the 2% that want to drive the car to the limit." Surely less than two percent of ALL Camaros see track time.... but maybe that is another thread.
How is that not what I said? I think it is a great deal because of what it lets me do with the car. I want the 1LE's ability on the street as well as when I ever get it to the track. I can promise, right or wrong, I will push our new car to my limit in certain applications. It may not be the car's limit, but the abilities of the 1LE will let me go further with my limits than a standard SS will, and thus the package was well worth the money.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #72
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Nothing is wrong with what you said ... save this idea that 2% of Camaros see track time.... that just isn't so.... not even close.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #73
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
How is that not what I said? I think it is a great deal because of what it lets me do with the car. I want the 1LE's ability on the street as well as when I ever get it to the track. I can promise, right or wrong, I will push our new car to my limit in certain applications. It may not be the car's limit, but the abilities of the 1LE will let me go further with my limits than a standard SS will, and thus the package was well worth the money.
This I totally agree with and have experienced.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #74
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
smexy is what the 1LE is i dont know what that means,but it fits.
smexy is smart and sexy. so no, it really doesn't fit...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #75
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Nothing is wrong with what you said ... save this idea that 2% of Camaros see track time.... that just isn't so.... not even close.
If that is how Al presented the 1LE package, it may have been a bit of "politically correct" speak. It would probably be bad business for Chevrolet to imply that this new Camaro would be bought by folks that would be "pushing the cars to the limits" on public roads!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #76
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
smexy is smart and sexy. so no, it really doesn't fit...
I am not sure. I gave my car an "A" for the way it handled a corner today....so that's a pretty good grade....kinda smart......
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #77
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am not sure. I gave my car an "A" for the way it handled a corner today....so that's a pretty good grade....kinda smart......
Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #78
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
a lot of emotion in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
What gives? From what I see around here everyone wants to 'upgrade' to a 1LE around here. Is your street driven SS so bad that your are destroying your tires and brakes at an excessive rate? Does the stock SS just not meet your standards of handling ability on the freeway entrance ramp? Also, you don't want to buy the tires for them very often.
maybe they are upgrading because of the newer features they've added through the years.. maybe its the package itself?

depending on the depreciation maybe it was worth all of the following without having to install it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post

Performance
FE6 Performance Ride and Handling Suspension
1LE-specific front and rear stabilizer bars
Four-piston BremboŪ disc brakes with red calipers
GoodyearŪ EagleŪ F1 SupercarŪ Gen 2 tires (P285/35ZR20)
Upgraded halfshafts designed to handle the higher grip and handling of the rear tires
Tower-to-tower brace to enhance structural feel
TremecŪ 6-speed manual transmission with specific gearing
Electric Power Steering
Available dual-mode exhaust with quad outlets
3.91:1 axle ratio

Exterior
Low-gloss Black hood wrap
20-inch 10-spoke black wheels with low-gloss clearcoat

Interior
Sueded microfiber-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel, shift knob and boot
I do hate that the tires have a real short life span (from what I've read)

Quote:
I'm mainly just wondering why you would want to trade your street driven SS, or your SS that you drag race for a 1LE, it's a track oriented car. Does it ride better,
It does ride better.. in fact if you google "1LE review" you'll find that they rave pretty hard about the differences.

Quote:
can you really tell the difference on the street or do you just feel like you are driving an SS with more expensive tires and a flat black hood?
i'm sure that many of the people checking off the 1LE package weren't sold on expensive tires and a flat black hood alone.

Quote:
Actually I have a 2012 SS with FE4 suspension I drive around pretty aggressively but the street is no racetrack. Obviously the 1LE will outperform on the track but if I went to a track it would probably be a drag strip.
I don't find myself wishing my car would corner or brake better on the street, if I bought one it would just be completely posing.
for the right price I always opt for better when I can afford it.

not really sure how opting for better performance is posing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Let me know if Im wrong, but electric power steering is standard on all SS models as of 2013 right?
i'm guessing he's assuming that one isn't trading in a 13 SS as the 1LE became an option then.
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #79
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
I was recently able to drive a friend's 1LE, he has the same engine mods that I do (Intake, headers, JRE tune)

I have a 2011 SS, aside from engine mods, I have drop springs, and wider wheels and tires. (9.5w (275) 11.0 (315) )

For me the difference wasn't night and day, at least not on the street. Turning was a bit more crisp and responsive, but it wasn't enough to make me want to trade in my SS. The different gear ratio also wasn't enough to make me want to go to the dealership.

Don't get me wrong, the car drove beautifully! If the option was available in 2011 when I ordered my car, that box WOULD have been checked. Honestly, if you're ordering a new camaro and you don't see the value in this option you're not a car person.

All of that being said, I personally, feel as though it would be better to continue modding my SS at this point. I think an FE4 upgrade with some PFADT sways would be amazing, and a set of 1LE gears would top it all off. This can all be had for less than what it would cost me to de-mod, and trade in.

However some people HAVE to have the factory 1LE package, and that's fine too! The idea of a track ready car with a full warranty is pretty appealing. The hood wrap is dead sexy, the wheels are awesome. Such an amazing value for those buying right now.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #80
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
I believe 2014/2015 1LE sales are going to be strong. A lot of Gen5 owners were waiting on the Z/28. Once everyone sees the pricing and understands the lack of daily driveability, the 1LE will be the affordable Camaro of choice. It'll be interested what lineup starts with the Gen6. I got to believe it goes back to the grass root models of LTs, SSs, and Z/28; no ZL1 or 1LE.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #81
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
I believe 2014/2015 1LE sales are going to be strong. A lot of Gen5 owners were waiting on the Z/28. Once everyone sees the pricing and understands the lack of daily driveability, the 1LE will be the affordable Camaro of choice. It'll be interested what lineup starts with the Gen6. I got to believe it goes back to the grass root models of LTs, SSs, and Z/28; no ZL1 or 1LE.
THIS ^^

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a z/28, but I personally don't mind dealing with the negatives that it would bring to the street. Keep in mind, I daily drove a 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler until I got my SS in 2011. So I'm not big on creature comforts or a soft ride.

Make no mistake; the 1LE IS the best value around for a streetable daily driver that can tear the shit out of a racetrack right out of the box. It's also a wonderful base for future modifications.

If only it had been available in 2011
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #82
Chat01

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
So this thread =

-SS owners not understanding the hype cause they already have an SS.
-1LE owners defending their purchases.

You almost got it right, but here is a little tweak for you..

-SS owners were once at the top of the Camaro food chain until that damn ZL1 came out, now WTH is with this 1LE thing putting mine even lower down and making me feel even more inferior
-1LE owners defending their purchase because they really wanted a ZL1 but couldn't afford one.
-ZL1 owners laughing their azzes off at all of the above
(Future edit) -Z28 owners......

Chat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #83
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat01 View Post
You almost got it right, but here is a little tweak for you..

-SS owners were once at the top of the Camaro food chain until that damn ZL1 came out, now WTH is with this 1LE thing putting mine even lower down and making me feel even more inferior
-1LE owners defending their purchase because they really wanted a ZL1 but couldn't afford one.
-ZL1 owners laughing their azzes off at all of the above
(Future edit) -Z28 owners......

-Modded SS owners who don't care either way

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #84
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
then theres those pesky little COPO guys that hide in the shaddows..............

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote