Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #141
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I don't like this one bit... even if the warranty was "legitimately" denied, don't they have an obligation to re-assemble the car? Getting it back with a box of parts in the trunk seems un-professional at the very least.

And while I'm no professional mechanic, I just can't fathom how in the world a catch can can cause oil starvation under "certain circumstances".... Exactly what circumstances? Even if it was forced induction, I don't see how it's possible.

Also why is it so hard to get a physical inspection by the people who are denying the warranty? For such an expensive car and such a costly repair, it seems like glancing at a picture is hardly enough.

It's situations like this that shake my sense of brand loyalty. A $12k engine is peanuts to GM (and likely a write off anyway), but to the average consumer like you and I, that could be the difference between driving your Camaro or ditching it for a civic. If I was in this situation I may as well push the car into a lake, I couldn't afford the downtime let alone the engine replacement out of pocket.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #142
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
The oil separator catch can sits in line with the PCV system, allowing the oil to condense out of the return air to try and help prevent “gunk” build up on the valves. It functions just like the one provided by GM with the 1LE Camaros, just in a different spot in the line.
Sorry, I'm not a mechanic... Is it the standard installation of a catch-can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasco View Post
The catch can manufacture should have attorneys to help solve the issue of GM is insisting that is why they will not warranty it.
An important point, because GM is stating their product can cause catastrophic engine failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
That sucks big fat greasy n@#$ for sure, sorry to hear this. It would be interesting to have the oil pump checked to see if it was the actual problem. If so, have an attorney write a letter stating the failure was due to a known oil pump failure and threaten legal action if it is not taken care of. Letters of this nature should not cost too much and may be worth a try! If they still deny the claim you don't have to follow through with further action unless you want. Finding an attorney that specializes in this type of issue would be helpful. Good luck however you decide to handle it.
I would have the oil pump checked at a reputable shop that specializes in GM performance vehicles. If the fuel pump has failed, I'd get a notarized statement from the shop.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #143
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Very sad to read this, I wish you all the best getting this resolved.

Call your State Attorney General's office and file a complaint against the dealer and mention any conversations with GM. This wont cost you a dime.

The AG will have a letter to them the next day and your phone will be ringing immediately with the Dealers General Manager wanting to talk to you. They do not want to take a chance on an investigation by the AG's office. They will be wanting to work this out and for you to contact the AG and let them know the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, I had to go this route when I had a little dance with a dealer and GM awhile back.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #144
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
okay, here's my 2 cents worth:

That "elite dealership" is the one not wanting to do the repairs.
Being that they are "elite" means they have some special connection with the TAC, so special in fact, that the TAC is willing to take the heat on this one.

"Elite Dealer" my @$$!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #145
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

GM DOES have the burden to prove the modification or service was the direct cause to the failure in question. That is US law period.

The issue is the dealer is being a bully and has not been taken to task by a atty versed in the Magnasun/Moss act of 1975. It covers all in question here, and a simple letter from one of these law firms should be enough:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

This is a condensed version pertaining to the law:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

The dealer may be trying to "double dip" and get you to pay AND collect from GM. This is rare, but occurs and is hard for GM to police.

Unless you installed a breather or a "vented" type catchcan/tank, than they have no grounds to deny your claim, especially as it is such a wide spread issue with these engines (do a Google search and find hundreds of failures of oil pumps) and if you have a closed system catchcan such as any of the Elite systems, then it is impossible for it to have any impact on oil pressure or the oil pumps failure.

You have done alot of good work, but time to search for a law firm versed in the Magnasun/Moss act and at least get a letter going out. DO NOT let this dealer bully you, you have the federal law and FTC on your side.

Let us know if we can of more assistance.
I knew I liked you guys!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #146
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Signed. Good luck OP. I have a catch can installed and would absolutely flip if this happened to me. I feel for you!
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #147
norf

Drives: 2023 2LT RS
This thread has me so irritated that if GM doesn't step up i am buying a Japanese car. Wife wants a new car this year so we will probably not be buying GM this time.
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #148
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Very sad to read this, I wish you all the best getting this resolved.

Call your State Attorney General's office and file a complaint against the dealer and mention any conversations with GM. This wont cost you a dime.

The AG will have a letter to them the next day and your phone will be ringing immediately with the Dealers General Manager wanting to talk to you. They do not want to take a chance on an investigation by the AG's office. They will be wanting to work this out and for you to contact the AG and let them know the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, I had to go this route when I had a little dance with a dealer and GM awhile back.
+1
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #149
Kcchiefscraig

Drives: 2010 LT synergy green
Signed!
Mods so far Monster Clutch,first ever! Hurst shifter, RS Headlights with halo always on harness, Heritage Grill, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 20% tint, RX catch can, RX clean side seperator, Vmax Iceolator. BBK long tube headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, gill stripes, GTO Clutch resevoir, plastic dip wheels emblems.
Kcchiefscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #150
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Honey look out the window ???? Something must have happened to your car It's on fire!!!!!!! WHAT ??? how could of that happen?????? Glad I have COMP. LOL
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #151
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Gm only knows what the dealer told them. Bottom line is the dealer screwed you, the service writer and manager are lying to you.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #152
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I am moved by the support offered to the OP
I have respect for Elite for being the only CC company to post.

I did have to go back and check the post date to make sure this was not an April 1st joke.

sorry OP I must be the only one asking why you have not named the catch can in question. I may have missed the pictures referred to as causing GM to deny warranty.
I can't believe OP has not got a legal opinion. My bad for having a suspicious nature.

I believe the OP, but cannot accept that a CC would be used to deny warranty
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #153
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
It is an Elite catch can

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #154
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
If he got the timing cover off, youre like 40% done with the fix. J/S... if you wanna do it yourself. Its a fun learning experience and a lot less headache than making a million phone calls.

Be careful with that pickup tube bolt though... omg
Yes, I'm sure he can fix it. It sounds like the crank, bearings, and maybe a rod or two might need replaced as well.

The real problem is not getting the car fixed. The real problem is the powertrain now has block on the warranty. It's in the system now. From this point forward, getting any powertrain warranty work is going to be next to impossible. Not only that, but it is certainly going to show up somewhere when it's time to trade or sell, Carfax, Autocheck, Service history, etc.

Now, if the OP is going to keep the car well past the warranty period, it may not be huge issue, sure, fix and be done with it. But the point is, he shouldn't have to.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote