Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Learning the line is the most important thing, then getting off and back on it. By the third session you will be pushing it hard.

Try running the track in a higher gear than you might normally (don't downshift) to force you to focus on carrying speed through the turns rather than relying on nailing it after the corner.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #30
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Learning the line is the most important thing, then getting off and back on it. By the third session you will be pushing it hard.

Try running the track in a higher gear than you might normally (don't downshift) to force you to focus on carrying speed through the turns rather than relying on nailing it after the corner.
Solid advice. Focus on carrying speed instead of going as fast as possible.
Pushing the car at 90-95% instead of 101% means a ton of stress relief for the overall car. Especially for thermal management.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #31
Rob O

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Thank you all for the great advice. I wasn't expecting so many to respond and I'm very grateful.

I even had a few helpful PM's too. One was a tip about a good place to do the brake burnishing close by. I went there and did that yesterday evening. Wow, that is an interesting process. Feels like your just beating on the car. The brakes were definitely smoking a lot and stunk pretty bad. As it progressed the braking performance got worse, but on the 40th stop the brakes started bitting hard again. I did it a couple more times and at that point I personally had enough. I've gotten car sick as a passenger before, but never even close while driving myself. I think a few more stops and I probably would have thrown up. Anyways, got right on the highway and drove home. I'm pretty sure I did it right as I can see the white edge on the pads. The white extends out past the edge in some spots.

I have an appointment for the track alignment on Wednesday. I'm having them change the oil and brake fluid to srf while it's there too. I'm having the Tasca Mod shop do the work. They work on Shelbys mostly, but they were working on a couple C6 Z06's when I visited the shop. They seem to be the most experienced on prepping a car for the track around here that I could find.

I'm all about being safe and really listening to the instructors. What I'm hearing from you guys is to be smooth, learn the line first, and then work on braking and throttle inputs. That makes sense to me. I don't plan on pushing the car 100%. I'm thinking I'll have a lot of fun in this car at 80%. I bet I would be faster at 80% anyway. I used to golf a lot. If I swung at 80% and kept it under control and smooth I would hit it straight and long. If I made a full swing at 100% maybe 1 in 10 times the ball would go farther than my 80% swing. Not worth it for me. Driving seems like being smooth is the faster away around for all except maybe the very best. I'm doing this just for fun, crashing my car would ruin the day. Being better on the track at the end of the day then where I started will make me very happy.

I got my helmet and it fits my head well. I'm surprised at how little room there is above the helmet to the roof. If I sit comfortably with the seat all the way down I have 1/4" clearance at most. Moving around just a little and the helmet hits the roof. I'm only 5'10" and didn't anticipate that. My guess is my head will be bumping the roof a bunch while on the track. I tried the seat in a bunch of different positions and 1/4" space seems like the best I'm getting. I'm guessing that this must be a common thing here considering I'm not very tall.

Just over a week to go. I can't wait. I'll take some pictures and post them after.

Thanks again everyone!
Rob
Rob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #32
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
ooops forgot this....you MUST bleed the clutch when putting in SRF...get it in there too. I didn't when I switched over and had a clutch issue that we never really figured out what caused it but it could have been that.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #33
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
In case it hasn't been mentioned already, start saving money for the next track day! Once you complete your first track day you WILL be looking for the next one you can sign up for!! It's addicting!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #34
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
All good advice here. I'm not sure what the difference is in consumption between the LS7 and LS3, but I went through an entire tank of gas on my first track day at WG this year, which is similar in length... we had 4 sessions, so I probably got in around 20-24 laps?. Also helpful to keep in mind that the faster you start going, the farther back you have to adjust your brake points as well, which is something I kept screwing up.

If you get a good instructor, you'll have an absolute blast.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #35
MEM
Learning every day

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #889
Send a message via Skype™ to MEM
I average 4mpg on the track, and I run tracks anywhere from 1.3 miles long to 2.8 miles long, and I am running WOT whenever possible. You will want to start with about 26psi if you are running the Trofeo-R's, and within 3 laps they will be at 31psi is is dead on money for max grip and control. Where you will lose it quickly is on your downshifts, go out and practice heele/toe in a neighborhood and get to where you can pull up to a stop sign without dropping below 2000rpm. Yes, people will look at you funny, but the first time you go from 105mph in 4th down to 3rd and don't rev match properly, you will be sideways and no PTM setting is going to help you. Learn how to downshift. You will also use more fuel than you think you will, so take extra. Watch a ton of video of other drivers on that track and start to memorize the course. Lastly, have fun, push yourself, and at least be in PTM 4 by the end of the day!!
MEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
MEM
Learning every day

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #889
Send a message via Skype™ to MEM
oh, and the carbon ceramics are MAGICAL! You will find yourself braking waaaaay before you actually have to, so practice going deeper and deeper into corners before braking. Entry, Apex, Exit- that's all you need to focus on. As for burnishing them, you can follow the GM advice, or, just do it on the track, you will not hurt them, but you WILL smell them, and that's ok!
MEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #37
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
oh, and the carbon ceramics are MAGICAL! You will find yourself braking waaaaay before you actually have to, so practice going deeper and deeper into corners before braking. Entry, Apex, Exit- that's all you need to focus on. As for burnishing them, you can follow the GM advice, or, just do it on the track, you will not hurt them, but you WILL smell them, and that's ok!
That is so true. Sure enough after my first session I came back to the garage and I could smell mine for sure. This was after I did the street burnishing. My third session was when I learned to trust the CC brakes, and go way deep before applying them.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #38
Rob O

Thanks again for all the advice everyone! If anything I was over prepared.

My first track day at Palmer was awesome! I'm trying to figure out which one I'll be going to next. I'm hooked. As much as I'd like to do this every week, I don't have the time or money for it. I'm thinking once a month is doable though. I'm looking at Limerock next month and Thompson the month after.

I was really nervous the whole morning before I made it out on to the track. Getting nausea while burnishing the brakes had me thinking I'd get sick on the track and that would have been really disappointing. Didn't fell sick one bit. I also didn't want to crash the car. I envisioned more cars and being closer together most of the time. There was a lot of space on the track and I did some passing, but it wasn't constantly happening. It was more common to have an uninterrupted lap than not. Maybe I was lucky.

Steve (s.hammer) came too with his white Z. It was a pleasure meeting and hanging out with him. He even helped me remove the hood vent rain tray. Thanks again. I only got one picture of Steve's car parked next to the Paddock. I tried to take a few of his car on track but those pictures came out awful.

There was another white Z there too. I introduced myself to him and we chatted for a little bit. I can't remember his name. I don't think he is on the forums here.

My instructor was great. He made it really easy to learn the line and taught me a lot yesterday. It's amazing the difference in confidence from the first session to the last. By the end of the day I new the line and was a lot faster. He said it was a pleasure to teach me for the day because I listened and did what he asked of me. He said some people just don't listen or understand.

Below are some pictures from yesterday.

Rob

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
Rob O

Oh, I forgot to add - This car is amazing! So glad I own one!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #40
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Awesome ! .....tracking in HPDE events is very addicting ! glad you had fun !
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #41
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Heading back on August 5th and I believe September 3rd for anyone interested. They run an HPDE 1 group with some great instruction for those looking for a new addiction, and open lapping for those with a fair amount of experience that usually includes at least one prior day at that track. HPDE 1 usually gets four 30 minute sessions, and if you get cleared for open lapping they may let you out during the last hour of the day as most of the open guys take off a little early. Open lapping guys get five 1 hour sessions throughout the day.

I would say by the ear to ear smile on Rob at the end of the day, we have our newest track addict on this forum. Great to meet you and great job out there.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #42
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Time to make a list of tracks you MUST run. Let me help you.

1. VIR
1a. Road America
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote