Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
A few questions.

I am still debating which exhaust (SOLO or MRT v2) to get, but I've already picked out an intake (CAI, inc.) and want the VMax TB. I am wondering should I wait for my car to break in more before swapping out parts since it is still in the break in period. Even when I start my car it revs high for a bit before calming down and having a normal idle. I can feel my car is still "learning."

I am currently at approx. 1200 miles. I bought her new with 13 miles on July 30th. I don't plan on changing the oil until I hit 1500 miles then again at 5000 miles. After that I will start a 5000 mile interval. Anyways, should I wait a little longer to start swapping out bolt-on parts?

My other questions are about the RX oil catch can. I've noticed under people's hoods that have the oil catch can they have a plug (?) on their intake. Is that something I should do when I have an intake and the oil catch can installed? The filter oil cap that replaces the plastic oil cap under the hood, does it ever have to be cleaned or replaced?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Go for it, no point in waiting if you already have your finger on the trigger. It's nothing that will void your warranty out anyway so its not that big of an issue. That's just a breather valve, it doesn't hurt to get one, plus they look cool. When you're ready to order let us know. We've got some pretty sweet pricing on most of the products you mentioned. We can work you up a nice package deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
I am still debating which exhaust (SOLO or MRT v2) to get, but I've already picked out an intake (CAI, inc.) and want the VMax TB. I am wondering should I wait for my car to break in more before swapping out parts since it is still in the break in period. Even when I start my car it revs high for a bit before calming down and having a normal idle. I can feel my car is still "learning."

I am currently at approx. 1200 miles. I bought her new with 13 miles on July 30th. I don't plan on changing the oil until I hit 1500 miles then again at 5000 miles. After that I will start a 5000 mile interval. Anyways, should I wait a little longer to start swapping out bolt-on parts?

My other questions are about the RX oil catch can. I've noticed under people's hoods that have the oil catch can they have a plug (?) on their intake. Is that something I should do when I have an intake and the oil catch can installed? The filter oil cap that replaces the plastic oil cap under the hood, does it ever have to be cleaned or replaced?
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
GoldCartridgeGamer

What about the plug in the intake when there is an oil catch can present?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
The high revving will never go away. That high idle is programmed in to warm up the cats after the car has sat for awhile. In other words, it's normal. Congrats on your new ride and let the modding begin.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
GoldCartridgeGamer

Oh I didn't know. I figured it was because of the heat outside here lately and being a new engine. Thanks man! I've been reading this section of the forums heavily since I got my car a month ago. I've picked my intake by reading everyone's responses, listening to vids, etc. I decided the VMax TB was a no brainer. As for the exhaust, I am stuck on which to get SOLO or MRT v2. I also plan on ordering the oil catch can.

How to hug your camaro
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Oh I didn't know. I figured it was because of the heat outside here lately and being a new engine. Thanks man! I've been reading this section of the forums heavily since I got my car a month ago. I've picked my intake by reading everyone's responses, listening to vids, etc. I decided the VMax TB was a no brainer. As for the exhaust, I am stuck on which to get SOLO or MRT v2. I also plan on ordering the oil catch can.
I don't think you can go wrong with either exhaust. I have the SOLO mated to LT's and enjoy no drone which is remarkable considering the LT's and how much they change everything. It is loud though when you get on it WOT is women-and-children-run-and-hide loud.

SOLO sans LT's I cannot speak to other than I really liked how they sounded on the vids. I think you will lose a few more lbs going with the SOLO vs MRT.

Good luck.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Yea I know, lol. It's so hard to pick between the two. I am not concerned with weight as much as I am about sound, refinement, and performance (i.e., MPG, engine related, and how well work with LT headers down the road). Also, price is a little bit of a factor as in if I am willing to pay that much for the Solo. I also noticed that Solo make high-flow res-cats. Are they worth adding on? Do they work with headers down the road? Do they work with axle-back exhaust? Or do the res-cats have to be put on when you put on the exhaust?

I am just trying to fully understand exhausts basically. I understand more about the stuff under the hood then under the chasis, lol.

How to hug your camaro

Last edited by GoldCartridgeGamer; 08-26-2011 at 06:22 PM.