Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
High oil pressure

so I just did an oil change using mobile 1 15w50 and mobile 1 filter. Drove it for a while and got the oil temp up. Oil pressure reads 36 psi at idle and gets up to around 43 to 45 psi at around 5k rpm 's. I was running 10w30 oil before this and I don't remember the oil pressure getting this high. What could be causing this and should I be concerned?

Last edited by Outlaw77; 05-10-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
The thick ass oil you just put in maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
The pressure wont hurt anything but just wondering why your running such thick oil especially in Canada.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Are you going to the track with this oil ?
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
The manual states 5w-30 only.

That's what I just put in her. I'm sure someone on here knows why.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The manual states 5w-30 only.

That's what I just put in her. I'm sure someone on here knows why.

+1 on 5w-30
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Like others have said the owners manual calls for 5W30
Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Oil that thick would cause more frictional and pumping drag power loss. You might notice higher oil pressures and slight loss in mpg and hp.
I doubt any damage would occur at temperatures near freezing or above from using oil that thick. The oil could cause hard starting in super cold temperatures.
I wouldn't worry about it but I'd use proper oil at your next change.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslowss View Post
The thick ass oil you just put in maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMFAO.......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
You answered your own question. You put thick oil in. That's why it's a lot higher.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 AM   #11
Quicksilverman

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
Why are you running that thick weight of motor oil? That thick of motor oil doesn't flow as well to vital engine parts and will cause more wear over time. GM highly recommends only using 5W30 motor oil that is Dexos approved in our cars. We only use Valvoline Synpower 5W30 in our 2012 Camaro.
Quicksilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
Outlaw77

As you can see I do have a cammed and supercharged engine and I will be taking it to the track this summer. This is a summer only car and the weather where I live gets pretty warm. When my engine builder installed everything they told me it wouldn't hurt to run a 15w40 or 15w50 oil in it. I had some Amsoil 10w30 ZRod left over and used that up. I'm not too worried about the pressure. When the oil temp gets warmer the pressure does go down to just above the normal range anyways.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Outlaw77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
The pressure wont hurt anything but just wondering why your running such thick oil especially in Canada.
You would be surprised how hot and humid it gets where I am living right now. In southern Ontario at sea level.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
GM LS Hydraulic Roller Cam Bulletin
Attn:*GM LS Engine*Owners
Re:*Hydraulic Roller Cam & Lifter Failures Due To Improper Lubrication
As the marketplace stretches the power levels of the popular GM LS platform (especially in power adder applications), a marked increase is being seen in hydraulic roller cam lobe deterioration, along with lifter wheel and needle bearing failures. The root issue of this problem is a general lack of understanding about the lubrication needs of this engine platform.
Customers often do not consider the need for either a break-in oil or application specific formula due to the fact that their application utilizes a hydraulic roller cam. Since these LS engines are primarily for street/strip use, a typical customer may use a conventional 20W-50 “Racing Oil” or a similar off-the-shelf lubricant. The engines are thus not broken in with specialized break-in oil, meaning that the proper foundation for valve train durability is never established.
As street applications featuring the LS engine are not typically warmed up before driving, the heavy weight oil (such as 20W-50) is slower in flowing to the hydraulic roller lifters. The result is a lack of adequate lubrication. The LS platform pump and oiling system is designed for 5W-30 viscosity grade oil, so using heavier weight oil actually reduces lubrication and often leads to rapid valve train failure.
Driven Racing Oil™ recommends using*BR30 Break-In Oil*and*LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil*as a two-part solution to this growing problem.
By utilizing the BR30 Break-In Oil, the proper additive foundation will be introduced into the engine. This is accomplished first by breaking in the LS engine for 30 minutes to one hour much like a customer with a flat tappet valve train would. The customer should then drain the oil and change the filter, install a fresh fill of BR30 and continue to break-in the engine for the next 500 miles.
Due to the use of hydraulic lifters in these engines, it is critical that the oil be changed after break-in to remove the metal particulate created during the process. If these small particles are allowed to stay in the oil system for thousands of miles serious damage will occur.
After the break-in steps are complete, it is time to install the LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil, which is a properly formulated 5W-30 motor oil designed specifically for GM LS-based engines. The LS30 oil features mPAO synthetic base oil technology that increases High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) bearing oil film thickness, so the oil flows like a 5W-30 but protects like a 15W-40.
This innovative technology enables LS30 to provide the required viscosity for the LS oiling system and deliver the added protection required for higher lift cams and hydraulic roller lifters.
This two-step lubrication process provides the proper viscosity and additive chemistry for the unique requirements of modified GM LS engines with hydraulic roller valve trains. Properly completing this sequence of steps utilizing both the Driven BR30 Break-In Oil and LS30 Synthetic Street Performance Oil will establish the proper anti-wear film in the engine, remove harmful break-in particles and provide excellent ring sealing.

Yup its me with my copy and paste...maybe you should go read the technical bulletins and articles on not being able to fix stupid at....Drivenracingoils.com As the oiling system is designed for 5w30 so go figure...you are definitely someone who should know what the perfect oil is with your demands.......or you could just watch it go up in smoke.... As I doubt you truly have a 100 new engine like I do with forged stroked clearance everything and aftermarket this and that on your bottom end and top end..... you got a Maggie on a stock hypereutectic short block with stock heads..... that's not building a engine that's parts installation....