Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
U LUZE

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Super Cats bad after 4 months

Earlier this year I was at the track and running 10.8s. The next couple times out low 11s. Now this weekend I was running 11.7s and my 60s are up to 1.8 and 1.9s. It seemed my car was slowing more than it should with higher DAs so I pulled the cats. They are failing already. I know boosted applications are harder on them but it may be time to get offroad pipes? I'd post pics but I don't know where I can upload the to link to them any more, but I'm guessing it's causing this issue?
U LUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Easily. Supers eat cats. Just think about any sound restrictions you might encounter depending on what you do with your car - might need to get an exhaust controller to be able to command quiet mode all the time if you still have stock NPP functions.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
U LUZE

I still have the NPP exhaust. My only fears is that it will be too loud (I don't mind loud just not LOUD) and the smell. However, I did look at one ZL1 before I got this one and that was definitely louder than mine is now. I know that it was set up similar to but it didn't smell like it didn't have cats. Maybe with the tuning and how the engines are now they don't smell as bad?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I know it's kinda apples to oranges, but for my car with no cats I added the Magnaflow 11386 resonated x in place of the stock H (my exhaust is a take off ZL1 NPP) and it didn't kill too much sound, mostly just made it deeper BUT it did help with pure volume levels without distinctly changing the sound of the car. That would be my first vote, considering it would be cheaper than an exhaust controller too.

Smell is tuning based to a point yeah. My car's smell changed distinctly between no cats stock - first tune - second tune. I'm unfortunately a touch ignorant with how it works though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by U LUZE View Post
Earlier this year I was at the track and running 10.8s. The next couple times out low 11s. Now this weekend I was running 11.7s and my 60s are up to 1.8 and 1.9s. It seemed my car was slowing more than it should with higher DAs so I pulled the cats. They are failing already. I know boosted applications are harder on them but it may be time to get offroad pipes? I'd post pics but I don't know where I can upload the to link to them any more, but I'm guessing it's causing this issue?

Bet they look like these..

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ht=ZMEnow+cats
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
U LUZE

Wow, pretty close. Maybe mine is not quite as bad but really close. But I'm still guessing that's bad enough to drop my 60s and ET like I have.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
U LUZE

I just read the rest of the thread, how is the test set working?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I know it's kinda apples to oranges, but for my car with no cats I added the Magnaflow 11386 resonated x in place of the stock H (my exhaust is a take off ZL1 NPP) and it didn't kill too much sound, mostly just made it deeper BUT it did help with pure volume levels without distinctly changing the sound of the car. That would be my first vote, considering it would be cheaper than an exhaust controller too.

Smell is tuning based to a point yeah. My car's smell changed distinctly between no cats stock - first tune - second tune. I'm unfortunately a touch ignorant with how it works though.
+1 on the Magnaflow Xpipe , took away the raspyness and gives it a little deeper tone. I'm running a whipple with long tube headers with corsa's out the back. There is a bit of smell but not a problem for me.
Indyblue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
No cats here. I deal with the smell the louder noise. Don't want them failing and grenading my engine.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by U LUZE View Post
I just read the rest of the thread, how is the test set working?

Still good, they were smelly and dusty for a few hundred miles, but after a track event they have been normal.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
U LUZE

Thanks... They asked if I wanted a "test" set. I ordered and paid for the offroad pipes and I think I'll try them. I'm going to have them send me the test set or a new set of super cats. If I don't use them I could always sell them.