Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #29
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Yes, because there's just not a good section of straight pipe. I think you're better off using a Vibrant clamp.
Thanks for the advice!
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I think I finally have time to install this later today. Did everyone have to drop their exhaust? I was wondering if I could just pull off my mufflers and slide the exhaust back a little?
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #31
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I think I finally have time to install this later today. Did everyone have to drop their exhaust? I was wondering if I could just pull off my mufflers and slide the exhaust back a little?
I hope you've already found time to complete this install Booher, but if not and you can slide your mufflers off (I figured you had the NPP), spray some WD40 on the rubber exhaust hangers (as suggested by Laststandard- They'll slide off like they'd been buttered!) and I expect you can unbolt your 2nd cats and have plenty of room to slide back the pipes. Take off the forward most set of hangers and tip the exhaust down to gain some working space. Actually, at that point I don't think you've got much holding the pipes in place. Just remove the chasis cross brace, drop the pipes and cut in comfort.

Keep in mind those smaller silver metal lines on the outside of either exhaust pipe (right where you need to cut of course) is your fuel lines (!) so cut with caution if you are still in that area.

Also keep in mind you don't need absolute precision with the sleeve clamps, in fact you want a little gap between your new 60663's and the OE pipes.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #32
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
I was able to cut the rear pipes 7" from the suite case and unbolt the front end and slide everything out. Didn't need to remove the muffler.

Without the clamps it's about ~8lbs lighter than OEM pipes
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #33
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
I was able to cut the rear pipes 7" from the suite case and unbolt the front end and slide everything out. Didn't need to remove the muffler.

Without the clamps it's about ~8lbs lighter than OEM pipes
Yep, that's a good benefit of the 60606... so if Booher can move or remove his mufflers, I'm thinking he can do the same sort of maneuver with his 60663's
Old 09-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #34
Booher

Bitchin, the more tips the better! Unfortunately, it didnt happen, but I already reserved a day for my car for this weekend haha. I have the sw axleback, so I'll just slide those bad boys off, and you make a good point, if it's only a couple more bolts, may as well pull it all.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
Ventmaster

You're gonna love it!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #36
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Actually, at that point I don't think you've got much holding the pipes in place. Just remove the chasis cross brace, drop the pipes and cut in comfort.
That's pretty much what happened for me.. started removing all the hangers to get enough wiggle room, realized the only thing holding the exhaust up was the cross brace. Figured it would just be easier to pull the brace and get the exhaust out.

If you have any furniture dollies, throw them under the car and you can just lay the exhaust down and slide it out easily. It's not the lightest thing. I didn't have any so we just wrestled with it..
Old 09-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #37
Booher

I got my exhaust off and looking where to cut. You guys have part of the dimple in the exhaust clamp correct? Only way I see doing it, that or cut the new ones back a little
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
Booher

So I just went for it, it was alot less complicated than I thought. It's fairly easy, and less stressful than I thought it was going to be. It's really easy to drop the exhaust, what I did was after the car was jacked up and on stands, I removed the cross brace and raised the jack just under the xpipe I wrapped a bungy cord around it, just to stabilize it a little more. Then removed the bolts near the main cats and dropped the system down. Before you drop it though, you need to pull apart and bend the factory driver side coupler that holds the two pipes together a little. It is attached at the top with a little tab. I just wiggled it back and forth, maybe for 5 minutes then it finally snapped with a little force. Having the jack made removing and moving the exhaust around much easier as this was a solo job. Once removed, I found measuring 2 1/2" off of the flex joints to be fairly sufficient. All I had was a dryer vent clamp so I used that to help cut a straight line. The passenger tubing is perfect, but the driver side was a little flat on one side. Both cuts were before the dimples. I wanted them to be as round as possible so I didn't interrupt the air flow. Filed everything, slid the couplers on and put it back on the car. I hung it on the center hangers and jacked the other end up, slid the pipes in and tightened them down. Then proceeded to the back and put my mufflers on, so I could adjust how much pipe was needed and where. Went back to he cat deletes, slid it around a little, doubled checked my mufflers then tightened it down. Went to the back and adjusted the mufflers, having couplers in the front and back help alot, you can have a gap in the coupling. The deed has been done, I haven't tested it out yet except for checking for exhaust leaks. Double check your bolts and alignments and enjoy. Any questions just ask, I couldn't find much information except for the help from this forum, I hope this helps someone. Also, I weighted some parts:
Secondary cat system with 1 coupling -17lbs
Borla secondary cat delete with 3 couplings - 13lbs
Stainless works axleback mufflers with 2 couplings - 36lbs
From front exhaust flex joints to muffler cut off - 19lbs
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #39
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Good work and nice pics!

How does it sound
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #40
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Neat. Looked at stainless works rear section earlier as well
Old 09-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #41
Booher

It made it louder than I expected, but I really diddnt expect much volume. I need to mess around a little bit later and try to for more deceleration pops. It was definitely worth it, you guys were right, I love it! Didn't give any or increase any drone, which was my main concern. I'll do a cold start tomorrow to measure the db difference. It's not way louder but definitely can tell, that's for sure.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #42
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Where in AZ are you? PMif preferred.