Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Bo Yo

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Livernois vs. LMR

So I've got the car on order, and now the planned mods begin. I've been doing my research on shops. I've narrowed it down to Livernois and LMR. Now I live in Houston so the appeal of LMR is obviously that my car stays here and if issues arise down the road, I can easily take it in for repair.

However, it looks like Livernois has amazing prices. Based on what I want to do, it appears that Livernois would save me $5000-$6000!

From what I read on here, it sounds like they both do awesome work. I love to save money, but I'm thinking about convenience as well. The powertrain warranty won't seem that effective if I have to ship my car back to Michigan.

Any input? Guys that are shipping your cars to Livernois from out of state, what are your thoughts? Guys who have had work doen from LMR, do you feel it was money well spent? Would you have gone somewhere else if you could have saved a significant amount of money?

This car, while modded, will still be my daily driver.
Bo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Livernois is good with me...I'm running their cam in my car, no issues so far, and made good power.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
sweaver

Drives: 10' CAMARO SS2 LIVERNOIS BUILT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
So I've got the car on order, and now the planned mods begin. I've been doing my research on shops. I've narrowed it down to Livernois and LMR. Now I live in Houston so the appeal of LMR is obviously that my car stays here and if issues arise down the road, I can easily take it in for repair.

However, it looks like Livernois has amazing prices. Based on what I want to do, it appears that Livernois would save me $5000-$6000!

From what I read on here, it sounds like they both do awesome work. I love to save money, but I'm thinking about convenience as well. The powertrain warranty won't seem that effective if I have to ship my car back to Michigan.

Any input? Guys that are shipping your cars to Livernois from out of state, what are your thoughts? Guys who have had work doen from LMR, do you feel it was money well spent? Would you have gone somewhere else if you could have saved a significant amount of money?

I can tell you this, Livernois does a top notch installation, They are very professional, And will help you take the right route for your setup, When i picked my car up is was detailed and spotless, Its amazing how clean and precise everything is, I'm from the Detroit area so when I open the hood, and people see it was built by Livernois they know its a badass car!
Everyone that sees this car is blown away, not only by the performance and sound of the car, But the factory like look!
sweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
1BadaSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS 6spd
LMR is a great shop! What are your plans for the car?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
As far as the Forced Induction section is concerned...

Based on what I know about the aftermarket parts install market I'll tell you that most famed Pro Shops are nailing consumers hard on parts markup + install labor, a literal double whammy to your pocket book to become a part of the even increasing "I'm a Toys R-Us Adult" syndrome!

Recent exception I found after doing some basic math...

Livernois is literally selling you parts at the lowest possible MAP (minimum advertised price) allowed by the parts manufacturers they carry. Several others are matching suite BUT something unique Livernois uses to distinguish themselves...Offering FREE install to the end user by recapturing a shops regular install fee's from the small left over profit from parts sales which is the difference between WD (Wholesale Dealer) price - MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). Basically: Instead of charging you install on top of parts sale they are giving you a break for buying parts from them by including install. These guys are literally banking on one thing...Customer Retention/Future Modification Loyalty!

Pretty damn smart business model in my opinion! A literal win-win for the consumer!

Depsite being a vendor (competitor), on a personal level I have become a big fan of Jannetty/Livernois for how well they actually represent the common enthusiast.

Almost forgot...Livernois has my vote!
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:

Well I plan on shipping to Livernois soon and I have some of these concerns as I am in DC. Here are some of the answers the guys at Livernois gave me regarding warranty and repair work.

There are 2 different warranties at play with this. One, of which, is the parts warranty, in which magnacharger is the supplier for said warranty. The second would be us, and all related work performed to the car by us.

If you purchase the 3/36k warranty then all work is arranged by the warranty company. It does not need to come to us for it. The cost incurred in transport is always a case by case situation. I can honestly say we have never had to pick up a car for warranty related work

the 3/36 is handled by an outside company, and they do have shops around the country that they pay to cover items.

It is a bit worrisome and I will check with Magnacharger regarding the 3/36 warranty just to confirm how it works and make sure that I do not have to take my car back to Livernois exclusively if I have any problem with the maggie.

Beyond that I was very comfortable with the response I got from this shop regarding repairing my car if necessary. They even mentioned that they may ok a shop in your area that they are familiar with to do work if youhave a problem with the install that they warranty, but this would be on a case by case basis.

Hope this info helps.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
sweaver

Drives: 10' CAMARO SS2 LIVERNOIS BUILT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Livernois is good with me...I'm running their cam in my car, no issues so far, and made good power.
Did you make to the track yet?
sweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
PM sent. There are lots of great shops in Houston.

Last edited by Mike TexaSS; 10-30-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaver View Post
Did you make to the track yet?
Just once, mid -11's. I'm probably not gonna buy wheels/tires to run it again, I have another vehicle I'm working on and trying to get to the track this fall, so it will take priority. Maybe again in the spring....it has the potential to run low 11's @ 125-127 in the weather we see around here.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
What are the prices you're being quoted? I can't believe you would be able to ship out of state two ways anywhere near as effeciently as having it done locally. Houston has some good shops. I had my TVS done in San Antonio at Nelson Performance. Dallas has some great shops too. East Texas Muscle Cars had a special on a while back that was pretty damn inexpensive. Back when I bought my TVS, the best price I found for the kit was $7K. Now, I think you can get them installed for that. If it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling to pay more, by all means, do it. Just be advised, that they're other good options out there.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Bo Yo...

Quote:
...I've narrowed it down to Livernois and LMR...However, it looks like Livernois has amazing prices...Based on what I want to do, it appears that Livernois would save me $5000-$6000!... Any input? Guys that are shipping your cars to Livernois from out of state, what are your thoughts?
My Camaro is currently at Livernois Motorsports getting a complete performance and suspension package. Living in Alabama, there are plenty of performance shops closer to me, but when it came down to price, quality of work, and service, no one could beat Livernois. That is why, even with the transportation fees, I'm saving $$$ and my set up will rival the best. Send a PM to Andy@Livernois and he will send you a quote.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
I spoke with both on the phone. Livernois for sure man. They talk to you like your a customer not someone just bugging them. Customer service, Price, and quickness Livernois has it.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
1meanss

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS/RS
I went with Livernois!
1meanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Hennessey Performance

Drives: THE EXORCIST
Good luck with your build!
Hennessey Performance is offline   Reply With Quote