Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Ahhhhh memories.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
I miss being able to find a 10 or 15 year old pony/muscle car for dirt cheap, being able to mod it with abandon, and the total outlay could be kept under a couple grand... Oh wait, that was when no-one wanted those cars and gas was "horribly expensive" like it is today... now those cars don't exist.

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
That's why the new BRZ/FRS are exciting developments.
They are? Are you sure about that? A quasi-sports car from two automakers that are the kingpins of boring family sedans and econo-coupes?

A note about the original post... It's true. People are less interested in automobiles overall...a bad economy with a high price of gas doesn't make driving and automobile "hobby" as cheap or accessible as it once used to be.

A recent study was done on the sharp decline on young, eligible drivers foregoing getting their license, putting it off sometimes until their late teens or early 20's. Car culture isn't what it used to be.... getting your license used to be the first real piece of freedom...a doorway to adult life. Now, not so much.

But that doesn't surprise me with the last two generations which have essentially grown up through not one, not two, but possibly 3 major gas crises, and a time when the automobile market streamlined its production to the extreme edges of platform-sharing, model-consolidation, maximum economy....all with huge pressure from regulatory firms to comply with new standards.

The result? There's kind of a fringe of automobile enthusiasts these days. A lot of people who like older cars because they don't really conform to the boringness of new cars; and those that are still awake and alert to the modern trends and opt for the performance option of new models. From my general "seat of the pants" perspective, it doesn't seem like today's young drivers or even today's middle-aged drivers are enthused about their vehicle, or modifying them, or even driving them.

It kind of sounds like a doomsday picture, doesn't it? Automotive enthusiasm is still alive and well in many circles, but I run into more and more people who just don't care about cars or have those long-held prejudices about certain automotive makes, i.e. "Ford versus Chevy" or "Mopar is king". It seems like most people don't care if it's a Honda, Chevy, or a Subaru, as long as it gets good mileage and comes in gold or silver, doesn't need to be shifted, everything is cool. And the foreign automakers have certainly surpassed their colleagues in many ways, and then again, every automaker produces some absolute crap.

All this reminds me...I need to go to our local drive-in theater. It's been in jeopardy of being closed down for years...developers want the space, and the owners aren't exactly rich. Drive-ins were kind of going by the wayside during my time growing up, but my folks still took me sometimes. It's a great way to experience automotive culture of the past and also see some cool cars and catch a pair of good flicks.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
In high school I drove a 66 Biscayne. My dad would not let be buy a 65 Mustang with a 289 for $150. It needed a left front fender and a battery.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
My first ride was a 67 chevelle, followed up by a 70 ss and at that time where I grew up it was a muscle car parade even in high school. You also knew about every car that was on the road except for the real oldies that guys my age back then knew them all.
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
1st was a '67 Camaro. 327/325 Hurst 4m. Damm! I wish I still had that car.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Actually many of the baby boomers knew the cars were kind of special in that unique era of history. When I was a tyke we had a 55 olds rocket 88 and I can still remember the smell of it and wish my father could have kept it. Next came the 62 olds 98 our first car with ac. Those fit right in with music of the day and later the mini skirts in late 60s and 70s. Many just could not keep our cars because of maint costs. My 69 roadrunner stayed with me from 1976 to 1989. I planned to keep it until it was antique but later found I could not afford to store it. But that car would be worth about 15-20k in the condition I had it in then. It was definatly a more exciting time in history.
i guess i hear that. my father was telling me when the Grand National came out he knew it was a special car and he almost bought one and saved it...just never did i guess.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
I agree, check my garage....
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
ya i wish it was like back then (even tho i wasnt there for it hehe)
at least its kinda comin back a little bit
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
ResQtek

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

A note about the original post... It's true. People are less interested in automobiles overall...a bad economy with a high price of gas doesn't make driving and automobile "hobby" as cheap or accessible as it once used to be.

A recent study was done on the sharp decline on young, eligible drivers foregoing getting their license, putting it off sometimes until their late teens or early 20's. Car culture isn't what it used to be.... getting your license used to be the first real piece of freedom...a doorway to adult life. Now, not so much.

But that doesn't surprise me with the last two generations which have essentially grown up through not one, not two, but possibly 3 major gas crises, and a time when the automobile market streamlined its production to the extreme edges of platform-sharing, model-consolidation, maximum economy....all with huge pressure from regulatory firms to comply with new standards.

It kind of sounds like a doomsday picture, doesn't it? Automotive enthusiasm is still alive and well in many circles, but I run into more and more people who just don't care about cars or have those long-held prejudices about certain automotive makes, i.e. "Ford versus Chevy" or "Mopar is king". It seems like most people don't care if it's a Honda, Chevy, or a Subaru, as long as it gets good mileage and comes in gold or silver, doesn't need to be shifted, everything is cool. And the foreign automakers have certainly surpassed their colleagues in many ways, and then again, every automaker produces some absolute crap.

I think that a majority of the newer generation has been robbed of the childhoods of spending all weekend in the garage with dads or granddads, learning not only how to do basic maintenance, but any form of modification. More and more families are two income families where both parents work all the time to provide for their children. Like the quote from 1BADLS3 it is not as cheap to just cruise around town, and it is very impractical to have a car that only gets 8 miles per gallon of gas. Then when you add in that almost every car is computer controlled it almost takes a rocket scientist to modify a new vehicle.

I have seen it in the Fire Department for sure. Guys we get now that are 21-25 have never driven a manual transmission, or changed their own oil even. It seems like the older veterans of the service are the only ones that can diagnose a problem with the truck and maybe fix it.

It is just my opinion of course, but that is where I see the downfall of the car society. I think that our nation is going more and more to the public transportation because of $4.00 gas. People have to sacrifice something because we can't all afford to fill up a car and cloth and feed our families.
ResQtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't think people in general are into cars as much as maybe people used to be especially when expense is considered. The cruise scene in my town features lots of Rice & more so older trucks & diesel trucks. 4 years ago the scene was hopping with 4th gen FBodies, Mustangs, Rice, and a few Lightning's, etc.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
The scene now might not be what it was in the 60s... but let's not forget how bad the 80s were and how far we have come from there... I learned to drive on an 83 Plymouth Reliant wagon, can it get any worse?
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #27
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
That's why the new BRZ/FRS are exciting developments.

No, I dont believe so.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #28
airborne0073

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Bear Jew

Oh my God the Chevelle

CHEVELLE

BTW you have the best username EVER. Just saying.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android