Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
MACE Stage 4 Ported IM failure

Well, today I was getting misfires in cylinder 6, so I did some trouble shooting and I finally decided to take off my throttle body and found this picture. My car was only misfiring at 5k RPM's and I'm damn lucky, I'm running the IPF supercharger.

This is supposedly after they fixed the issue. I've e-mailed Jay, but I've lost faith in the ported manifolds now.

Also, this is only after 3 weeks.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
After seeing 2 other failures within the last month or so, I checked the plug then and just again today. All looks good but may pry it out for piece of mind.

Mine is a stage 3 Mace ported IM with about 7k miles since install.

I don't think it helps with airflow anyway. Not worth the worry.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Well, today I was getting misfires in cylinder 6, so I did some trouble shooting and I finally decided to take off my throttle body and found this picture. My car was only misfiring at 5k RPM's and I'm damn lucky, I'm running the IPF supercharger.

This is supposedly after they fixed the issue. I've e-mailed Jay, but I've lost faith in the ported manifolds now.

Also, this is only after 3 weeks.
Magnum,

I know this won't help you out but I had my stage 4 installed and I did notice before the installation that the area that is filled in on yous, mine didn't have any filler at all. I questioned it at first but I am glad the filler step at MACE was skipped. I think you are the 2nd or 3rd person this has happened too. I got my stage 4 in the mail on 21 June, installed on 27 June.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
MagnumForceGB

Got a message from Jay, he said that there shouldn't have been a filling on top of it and he has no clue how it got through.

He is going to try to take care of it, but don't know if I trust having parts fly off in my intake right now.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
So much for the "fix"!

And I was just about to re-install my Mace ported IM...

I really felt it was a big part in the higher torque my car made at relatively low RPM (3-4K) compared to some other IPF installs.

Wish we had a way to confirm GTO's theory of limited benefit with the filler in place.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
So much for the "fix"!

And I was just about to re-install my Mace ported IM...

I really felt it was a big part in the higher torque my car made at relatively low RPM (3-4K) compared to some other IPF installs.

Wish we had a way to confirm GTO's theory of limited benefit with the filler in place.
Well I had my best 1/4 mile times with the stock manifold compared with my last runs with the ported IM under very similar conditions.

With that said, I'm happy with the MACE IM. The porting job looks to be top notch and support from Jay is great.

Just looks like that filler came unglued for a few folks and I'm just not concerned about taking it out and rather not worry about it.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
If you guys have any concerns with the manifold please contact Jay on Velocityport410@gmail.com
I'm confident that we can get it sorted
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Got a message from Jay, he said that there shouldn't have been a filling on top of it and he has no clue how it got through.

He is going to try to take care of it, but don't know if I trust having parts fly off in my intake right now.
So wait...the stage 4 intake is NOT supposed to have the filler?? Not sure if I understand that correctly.

I'm actually a bit worried that taking out that filler will take away most of the performance benefits of the ported intake. RacnJasn recently did this on an LFX intake and filled the depression in on it. He flowtested the intake and said that about 75% of the increase in flow was due to the filling in the depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post

Just looks like that filler came unglued for a few folks and I'm just not concerned about taking it out and rather not worry about it.
I'm seriously thinking about popping the filler out on mine too. Let me know if you do this and how it difficult it is. I'd be worried that poping it out may leave some left over debris that the engine could suck in, but I guess as long as you are careful and vaccum it out or something it should be OK.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I think what he meant was that there was a layer of filler on top of the main slug that shouldn't have been there. In other words, the filler wasn't poured in in one shot as I would believe would be intended. That's what it looks like to me, as both the IM and top of the remaining epoxy-fill look to have been abraded prior to a layer being poured on.

And yes, back when the ported manifolds came out, I recall reading that the filling of the oil-sump area was very important to the flow improvements. With RacnJasn's flow testing, I think that serves as confirmation. Though it's hard to argue with 67GTO's track results either...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
MagnumForceGB

Going to send the ported one back so they can fix it, I still have my stock one so I can drive my car. Only problem I have now is that at the range where I was getting the misfire my exhaust now pops, engine struggles then takes off like crazy. Don't know if the learned stuff is screwing the car up now. Not gettingvcodes or lights.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
wow thats crazy. how can that slip by when its been addressed already and jay said any new ports will be fixed of the problem? so another words anyone resending their ported ims back to fix the problem really isnt still being fixed properly. just poor work who ever is filling the glue

iam sorry ieven got mine ported with problems like this. iam just going to try and pry mine out before it breaks off and causes engine damage which chevy will never cover under warranty.
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Going to send the ported one back so they can fix it, I still have my stock one so I can drive my car. Only problem I have now is that at the range where I was getting the misfire my exhaust now pops, engine struggles then takes off like crazy. Don't know if the learned stuff is screwing the car up now. Not gettingvcodes or lights.
Surely (I know- don't call you Shirley), they will fix it right on the 3rd try and I think it's worth it for the performance gains. Jay does have talent with a die grinder!

I looked mine over and it looks solid, so it's going back on. If it does pop out and get past the IM, it'll be like the 90yr old groom speaking about his 30yr old bride on their wedding night, "If she dies, she dies!"

I don't know how many they sold (Jay?), but so far failures have been very few. I'm betting the odds are pretty good.

I know- famous last words!!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Mine didnt have the filler in on my stage 3 ported manifold, and I definately noticed a huge gain, paired w/ the black ice. Jay told me the depression didnt need to be filled in, and judging from percieved gains, I'd say he's correct.
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
What happens if the depression is not filled but just smoothed out as much as possible. Any gains?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote