Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #155
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Way back in '97 my now ex-wife and I were buying a new Mustang GT. It went back and forth in $500 increments with me standing firm at one price. The salesman would leave, come back $500 lower, I would say no and he would leave again. This went on until finally he was within $500 of what I was willing to pay. At this point I'm having fun watch him go back and forth.

So here we are seperated by $500 and I tell him no, I'm sticking to my price. He looks me square in the eye and asks, "Do you mean to tell me that $500 is going to keep you from buying a new car?"

My answer, "Do you mean to tell me that $500 is going to keep you from SELLING a new car?"

I got my way.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #156
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
When I was going to buy my Solstice GXP I researched the heck out of it. Took a year. I really wanted one in deep blue or deep green. I think the colors were called 'Deep' and 'Envious'.

Well I found the car I wanted, a Deep Sol GXP, at the former Damon Pontiac. But the dealership had just folded! I was told it was being 'sent back to GM'. Yeah, right!

The next day I went looking some more and I test drove a second one at Bezema Buick-Pontiac-GMC. I didn't need to, but I wanted a non-car person with me to criticize the car. My mom. She doesn't know power-to-weight, torque curves, nothing like that. is it uncomfortable? Loud inside? I don't know I'm just digging this rollerskate rocket and I'm not being objective.

I'm 36 at this time. And the dealership makes the mistake of thinking my Mommy is co-signing. Cute. OK, let's see what we can see..

I made them take the showroom car out of the showroom for the test drive. Mom loved the silly little thing. Couldn't find anything bad to say about it. To be honest, the one I bought was one of the few that never had problems, I guess. Just noisy door latches, fixed under warranty. Somebody got a nice roadster when I traded in... Anyway, we drive back and I tell them, well, you know, that's a lot of money, and the color, yellow, well, no, not for me, thanks...

"We can find the color you want, no problem" (this is 2008)

'OK, I want Deep.'

"Oooh, that one has to come from...[taps on a computer]...Pennsylvania"

'Really? That far away huh?'

"yes. Only one with a manual trans an no rear spoiler in the GXP model on the east coast. 600 dollar delivery charge"

'Are you sure? Only one?'

"Oh yes, GM tracks all the VINs"

'There's not one at the former Damon Pontiac, right now, waiting to be sent to another local dealer for sale?'

"No"

'Really? But you said they track the VINs'

"Yes"

'So you're telling me that I am going to pay 600 bucks for you to drive 30 minutes down the highway, pick this car up, and pretend it's from PA? I had a ten grand bank check in my pocket for you. Buh-bye.'

The look on this fibber's face went from "oh, mommy's paying, CHING!" to 'Shit I just blew a good sale' in 10 seconds flat.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #157
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I have to admit I used to visit car lots and see if I could catch a salesperson in a flat out lie.
One time I was driving by a lot that was one of my favorites to do this at because I could always catch them doing something sneaky and saw on the from row a S10 with funky cheap ground effects on it with Xtreme emblems. I suspected they were pulling one of their tricks again so I pulled in. I was looking the sticker over and the Factory sticker was for a base model S10 no options and if I recall it had a MSRP of about $12,000. Beside it it had a fancy sticker made to resemble the Factory sticker with all the add ons they had installed calling it the Xtreme package. You could tell it had a set of cheap alloy wheels, cheap ground effects and the Xtreme emblems on it. Their add on price for this package was $4,000.
The salesman came out and started talking about the factory Xtreme package made the new S10s look so much better than plain ones. And I said well this isn't a factory Xtreme. He insisted it was and asked why I thought it wasn't. I said first it has the wrong wheels and aero skirts on it. Also their Xtreme package was on a seperate added on sticker and not the Factory Sticker. He said let me check on that. He turned around and walked back into the showroom. I saw him talking to the owner then he just walked away out of my sight. He never came back out....
By the way a couple years later Chevy pulled their franchise for bad business practices, he then started selling Fords, Dodges and Kias...
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #158
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaro223 View Post
My favorites when I've tried to trade my car:
5. Well, that's what we can buy it for at the auction. (this is usually when I leave)
I've used this line-

And how many folks from the auction come and buy your new cars?
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #159
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...addendum to the list. I was the first guy in line to order the car.... Handshakes and smiles even.....
Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #160
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
We were out shopping for a car for good preowned car for my son, and we came across this dealership said they had a 2001 Camaro V6 for $6900 with 165k miles. I asked why it was so high and she said it had a special 2008 Camaro motor in it.

Matte Black Jeep GC SRT8 20 inch wheels, SRT8 Sway Bars, Custom Hood, black Plasi-dip Custom Cross Road Runner Stripes and decals, Custom Rear Diffuser, Plasti-dip rear black out Panel. Halo Fog lights.

Please Help if you can Paypal: icanbe_reached@hotmail.com
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #161
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
What's that movie with DMX and Steven Segal? He did the same thing when walking into a high end dealer. Looked at the 225k car, asked for a test drive and a "black" salesman started hassling him. The "white" salesman throws him the keys and DMX opens a bag of cash and says make sure HE (pointing to the "white" guy) gets the commission!
"Exit Wounds"
Now I'm going to listen to DMX on my way to work
Old 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #162
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
About 10 years ago, we were shopping for an Explorer. The salesman at a local dealer did a search, and kept claiming he couldn't find one with the options they wanted, and that the closest he could come was one with about $2k worth of options they didn't want. The salesman claimed he was still looking, but finding nothing.

After a week, we went to a Madison dealer, and they found an exact match the same afternoon using the same search system. After a few more days, the first salesman finally called back to let us know that he had "just" found one in the Chicago area, but that it had already been traded to a Madison dealer and was gone. We told him "we know." And he actually had to ask how we knew.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #163
PSxP

Drives: shopping now
I'm about to start the madness of purchasing a 12' or 13' after x-mas so I'm committed to reading every relevant post on CAMERO5 to know more than the dealer's lovely sales-force knows (I'm a marine mechanic and there are some major differences). After reading this thread, lmao, I'm pretty sure I already do. "Thanks" to you all, frikin' hilarious and gave me the confidence to keep the upper hand and get my deal. great thread ;]
PSxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #164
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSxP View Post
I'm about to start the madness of purchasing a 12' or 13' after x-mas so I'm committed to reading every relevant post on CAMARO5 to know more than the dealer's lovely sales-force knows (I'm a marine mechanic and there are some major differences). After reading this thread, lmao, I'm pretty sure I already do. "Thanks" to you all, frikin' hilarious and gave me the confidence to keep the upper hand and get my deal. great thread ;]
How far are you from Detroit? Contact BeckyD@rodgerschevrolet on here and she will give you a great deal and not steer you wrong.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #165
PSxP

Drives: shopping now
She's less than 2 hrs away. I got her 2nd email yesterday (she was the first person I contacted) saying "calendar marked, I'll see what I can do then, glad to help". she sounds like she knows her sht and has a great car too! thanks for the advice, good peopl here.
PSxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #166
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I ordered my car in 2008 and the only thing I had to order from was a faxed copy of the Camaro brochure. The dealer told me my 2SS/RS would have the rear back up sensors and HUD. As everyone knows the R6P early order Camaro's don't have either.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #167
loliveira08

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Dropped by the local Quirk Chevrolet after seeing the price of their 2014s on True car. The internet sales manager then points me to a salesman. Truecar price was about 30000 for a 2LT. I walk in and asked for a price on my trade which they priced at 22,000. The salesman than starts to put the numbers on paper and is basing everything off the MSRP.

I kindly let the sales man know what the price of the car on Truecar was and where I'd like to be at. He shows the sales manager the deal that the internet sales manager had already shown me and proceeds to tell me he is only giving me 19,500 on my trade.

I looked at the salesman's face and asked him if he thought I was stupid or something.

Needless to say I walked out immediately.

For all the locals, steer away from the Quirk family of Stealerships.
loliveira08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #168
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I was told there was no such thing as a 1le package and no such car is available. Two weeks later I'm driving a black SS 1le
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote