Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #351
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Seen it on fb! What a jagoff!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #352
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Hmm most semis are governed at 62 mph???? That's a joke, they pass me all the time when I am doing 70. I doubt seriously many are governed at 62....
Ditto, they move along about 75 to 80 on the interstates here. You guys on the east coast need to head west to see how fast a semi can move.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #353
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
Most are governed between 60-65, it just depends on what they're hauling or the carrier. Owner-ops or trucks carrying sensitive/live cargo tend not to be governed or the cap is higher.

I agree that I don't think the semi intentionally changed his speed. Any speed change IMO is because of road incline change.
Well they all must carry sensitive/live cargo around here, if I set my cruise control on 70 it's not often I will pass one unless it is going up hill...
Old 04-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #354
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well they all must carry sensitive/live cargo around here, if I set my cruise control on 70 it's not often I will pass one unless it is going up hill...
It does depend some on your location. I'm near Memphis, so every large carrier comes through here pretty much and those are the slow ones.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #355
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
I just really am amazed that anyone could place blame on anyone other than the guy who tried to pass in the median.

I don't know how I would have reacted in the pickup's position, but I don't think it would have been trapping the guy behind me if that's what he did. But, I do my own bit of Traffic Batman sometimes. If a lane next to me is ending soon and someone tries to zoom up and cut in front of me, making me and those behind me wait longer because he was too good to do so, he's not getting in front of me. Same for people trying to get by everyone on the interstate in the emergency lane. Once the lane ends, if there's any runoff room, I'll make my vehicle two lanes wide. I used to do that way more in my truck than in the Camaro.

I've had a guy get out of his car on the interstate to scream at me for gunning the accelerator (heads/cam/LTs LS1 Trans Am - he heard it) to make sure he couldn't cut in front of me from the breakdown lane. Sorry dude. Now it's taking you even longer to get wherever you're trying to go.

No turn signal? I'm not going out of my way to let you in, even if I can pretty much tell you want over. Signal, though, and I'll back off every time.

Riding my ass? Prepare to slow down because I'm letting off the gas if I can't see your windshield cowl over my spoiler. As someone else said earlier in the thread, you'll be getting a red LED sunburn after a little while. (note: not on the highway)

I'm not the hero the highway deserves, but I am the one it needs right now.

Mostly, I hope I never run into any of you guys on the road, because it sounds like I would really piss you off! But, hey, I treat folks how I want to be treated.

Basically what I'm trying to say is: don't be a butthole, and don't run to the defense of buttholes.

That Camaro driver is a butthole.
While agree with you on the turn signal, you know, just let me know you're coming over, and I'll let you in.

Also about using the shoulder as passing lane, that's just plain stupid, as the video shows.

However, at one time I thought as you did about merge lanes. However, I then learned that the guy going up that lane is actually the one doing it right. It's called a zipper merge. The problem is that everyone else gets over from that lane too early, and that's what causes the back ups. check this out:http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/07/...d-drive-ruder/
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #356
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
However, at one time I thought as you did about merge lanes. However, I then learned that the guy going up that lane is actually the one doing it right. It's called a zipper merge. The problem is that everyone else gets over from that lane too early, and that's what causes the back ups. check this out:http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/07/...d-drive-ruder/
Totally agree that it would be better if folks would do that. But specifically what I'm talking about is a specific spot on our local interstate where two lanes merge to one but there's a lot of runoff area where it's really just one lane but it's wide before the shoulder actually cuts back in - like a lane and a half. People like to jump out into that (after the marked outside lane has ended) to try to jump up a few cars and squeeze back in.

THAT drives me crazy.

My driving pet peeves are constantly evolving, though. Right now I mostly get worked up about tailgating after being next to someone who got rear-ended at a redlight - only to then cause a chain collision with the car in front of them because they felt it necessary to be right up on the other person's ass. Hate it when I come to a stop and someone tucks in behind me as close as they can.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #357
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
My semi is governed at 78 mph on foot and 75 on cruise. I refuse to drive for a company with slow trucks eff that.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #358
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
My driving pet peeves are constantly evolving, though. Right now I mostly get worked up about tailgating after being next to someone who got rear-ended at a redlight - only to then cause a chain collision with the car in front of them because they felt it necessary to be right up on the other person's ass. Hate it when I come to a stop and someone tucks in behind me as close as they can.
There's that, and then the people who leave a car and a half gap between themselves and the car in front at the light, and make sure that gap increases before giving any gas when the light turns green.

I don't know if this is that bad anywhere else, but I see it around once a week around here.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #359
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Must be an NC thing. They do it here in Jacksonville too. I appreciate the safety margin or courtesy or whatever it is but all it really does is slow down the flow of traffic and waste time.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #360
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Must be an NC thing. They do it here in Jacksonville too. I appreciate the safety margin or courtesy or whatever it is but all it really does is slow down the flow of traffic and waste time.
One of these days, just for the laughs, I want to see someone switch lanes to fill that gap.

But seriously, though, that annoys me more than anything else, because if you get stuck behind someone like that, you KNOW you're missing that light. You just know it.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #361
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
My semi is governed at 78 mph on foot and 75 on cruise. I refuse to drive for a company with slow trucks eff that.
A lot of states, Arkansas being one of them, are actually starting to raise their speed limits for trucks, because they're realizing it is dangerous. My company's liability insurance actually decreased after we moved the fleet from 65 to 70.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #362
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Same speed limits for cars & trucks in Texas.

Several years ago Texas removed the "different" speed limit between cars and trucks. Limits are the same for both.
At the same time, they removed the "different" speed limits between day and night.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #363
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I don't know how I would have reacted in the pickup's position, but I don't think it would have been trapping the guy behind me if that's what he did. But, I do my own bit of Traffic Batman sometimes. If a lane next to me is ending soon and someone tries to zoom up and cut in front of me, making me and those behind me wait longer because he was too good to do so, he's not getting in front of me. Same for people trying to get by everyone on the interstate in the emergency lane. Once the lane ends, if there's any runoff room, I'll make my vehicle two lanes wide. I used to do that way more in my truck than in the Camaro.
I like when people say this, because it's been scientifically proven that doing this has a negative impact on the flow of traffic. So, essentially, you're a hypocrite. You think someone is an asshole for trying to cut you off which makes the wait longer for everyone, but your own actions to prevent that person from cutting you off accomplish the exact same thing for everyone in traffic, except you, making you as selfish as the asshole trying to cut you off.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #364
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
I like when people say this, because it's been scientifically proven that doing this has a negative impact on the flow of traffic. So, essentially, you're a hypocrite. You think someone is an asshole for trying to cut you off which makes the wait longer for everyone, but your own actions to prevent that person from cutting you off accomplish the exact same thing for everyone in traffic, except you, making you as selfish as the asshole trying to cut you off.
This reminds me of what was probably my own personal best #sshole move. There was an accident up ahead on the interstate just past the upcoming exit. So, people were driving the short distance up the shoulder to take the exit. Made sense to me. Well, apparently the guy in a van in front of me didn't like them doing that. So, he would move halfway on the shoulder to stop them, but they kept on a comin'. So finally he moves all the way on the shoulder and sits there. Well, I just rolled up to the spot where he was, right next to him, and left him hanging there. His only option now was to drive up the shoulder to the exit. Shoulda seen his face when I took "his spot".
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote