Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
bhvrdr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS AT6 (L99)
New track toy...

Hi all,

I've had a ton of track toys (yes, Miata too) and I just traded in my last track toy which was a Civic SI. I was going to supercharge it but was concerned I wouldnt be able to get traction from the front wheels the more power I added.

I was able to grab a 2010 SS that is in absolutely perfect shape with 40K miles on it and one owner. This car is going to be used pretty much just for HPDE duty. Maybe a thousand miles a year.

My questions:

I've done some reading and it doesnt appear these cars have a glaring weak point (ie, BMW subframes need to be reinforced, Audi needs more brake, etc). Am I missing anything that absolutely needs to be done before I start learning this car on the track?

My plan for now is to simply make sure I have some Motul RBF660 or Castrol SRF in the reservoir and probably start off with a mild DS2500 pad and perhaps some Carbotechs in the future. Is there anything else that this car should have done other than basic tech inspection stuff?

Does it have to have a 160 degree thermostat or is that not needed? Do I have to do any additional oil cooling or transmission cooling? It is the auto transmission (I am going to tune the TCU in the future).

Thanks in advance.

Mike
bhvrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Welcome to Camaro5! Leave the stock thermostat in the car. The L99 and LS3 are made to run best in 190-200 range. Run the car a few times and figure out where you want to start with modifications. There is a ton of info here and don't be shy about asking questions.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
My only suggestion above what you have already listed would be brake ducts.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
bhvrdr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS AT6 (L99)
Thanks very much guys! I'll make sure the brakes are solid and look forward to the next lap day.

I'm thinking of getting some track dedicated wheels/tires so I dont burn though these brand new Pirellis.

strangely it seems a 20" setup may be cheaper to go than a 19" setup due to the inexpensive 275/305 mickey thompson setup that can be run. Any issues doing those sizes on a set of TSW flow forged wheels?

thanks again,
mike
bhvrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The 2010s have rear cradle bushings that are generally considered too soft. You will probably be fine just installing inserts. Also, you should update to the FE4 2012+ rear lower control arms which have a revised sway bar mounting. Go ahead and install the 1LE rear sway and rear toe links while you are at it.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I couldn't get the Mickey thompsons for the life of me. Don't count on that. Sounds like you know what you are doing so no there's nothing you should have to know... Most my hints are from my experience and stuff for general longevity of your toy.

A catch can can't hurt... I use 1LE clean side and a catch can for dirty side.

You should already know about cooling and I would expect you will want to separate your oil from your coolant radiator with its own cooler. I have my auto transmission on a cooler (do it do it do it) and I have a few thousand miles on road course and well over 70k overall.

The absolute cheapest "track wheel setup" is to run 4 stock rear wheels on car.

If it's track only, there is tons of weight to lose in so many places, many great threads, dietcoke and doc member names both did extensive threads.

Goodluck man, I DD 2 kids and track the car seasonally. It's a fantastic platform you will love your LS if you take care of it. You can grow and upgrade bushings and suspension to your liking since I am sure you have your own driving style and car feel preferences.

Last edited by SPCBA; 05-15-2016 at 11:14 PM.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
If you are going to be doing HPDEs, Mickey's are not a good tire choice!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The 2010s have rear cradle bushings that are generally considered too soft. You will probably be fine just installing inserts. Also, you should update to the FE4 2012+ rear lower control arms which have a revised sway bar mounting. Go ahead and install the 1LE rear sway and rear toe links while you are at it.
I disagree on the Inserts and I sell them. They are a Band-Aid approach to fix the Cradle. The correct way to go is to do a Full Cradle Bushing replacement. I suggest our BK024 Pro Versions

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=454
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote