Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #99
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blam2526 View Post
Can one of you guys show me a pic of how the jack stands are supposed to be placed. I have 2 ZL1 jack pads and pucks. I lift the car with those but no matter how I position the jackstands on the pinch welds, it seems sketchy. What am I doing wrong? I've watched the Lethalcamaro video. Someone educate me!!!
Yes, I would also be curious to see how these pucks sit on the jack stand against the pinch welds.....Thanks very much
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #100
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
the pucks don't sit on the jack stand, just the floor jack or a lift.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #101
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
the pucks don't sit on the jack stand, just the floor jack or a lift.
That's what I thought. I must have misread....... Thanks.
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #102
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I hope this helps?

Thank you Sledge...

Much Appreciated.

Kindest,

Donner
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #103
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
If you have a 4 point lift available and don't want to use the 4 pinch weld areas, this is how it worked for me. Use 4 to 6 inch vertical spacers on lift pads to keep from damaging rocker panel plastic with lift arms. Put a 6 to 7 inch piece of 2x4 with a thin cushioning material on top of the wood and lift the front of the car at the orange area on each side of the car as shown on page 1 of this thread. It's the steel section of the body with the 2 holes in it. The wood distributes the load over the entire area and doesn't deform the steel.

For the rear end, I didn't want to use the metal cross member behind the differential Sledgehammer suggested because I've got the e-LSD and there is a cast metal part bolted to the rear of the cross member. Just being careful in case the jack pad might contact the cast metal and maybe cause it to crack. I used the trianglular areas of the steel body which are located inboard of the rear pinch welds. It's the triangle area witha hole in it on each side of the car in front of the rear tires. You can see them in the pics on the 1st page of this thread. Again, used 3 to 4 inch section of a wooden 2x4 with a piece of cushioning material. Used vertical extensions on the lift arm pads to keep from screwing up the rocker panels.

Able to lift all 4 tires off the ground at one time to bleed the brake fluid without any damage to the car body.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #104
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
So why can a 4 point lift use the triangle area with a hole without bending it, but a normal jack can't?
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #105
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
So why can a 4 point lift use the triangle area with a hole without bending it, but a normal jack can't?
The weight is evenly distributed across four points, as opposed to a single point.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #106
Bassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
The weight is evenly distributed across four points, as opposed to a single point.
But with a 4 point lift you're lifting all 4 corners, and with a single jack you're just lifting one corner, so wouldn't it be the same weight? (900 lbs)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #107
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
But with a 4 point lift you're lifting all 4 corners, and with a single jack you're just lifting one corner, so wouldn't it be the same weight? (900 lbs)
It's actually closer to 1/2 the car's weight from a single point, since the frame is so rigid. This is apparent when you start to see the corresponding front/rear tire lift off of the ground.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #108
Bassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
It's actually closer to 1/2 the car's weight from a single point, since the frame is so rigid. This is apparent when you start to see the corresponding front/rear tire lift off of the ground.
I've jacked it up twice now and it hasn't done that
Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #109
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I disagree with almost everything said there.

I have jacked up my car more times that I want to admit too. I have the ZL1Addons jack pad and pinch weld adapter. Works great.
You can disagree. But, someone has to be wrong.

Here was a video that was posted showing the "aluminum" jack point.

https://youtu.be/azDER9QSKE8?t=2m3s

The problem is . . . that's not aluminum. Nor is it soft. It's steel. Proof?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...76#post9646176
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #110
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
That front cross brace is mostly sheet aluminum, soft and def not a jack point. That other pad looking area is most likely used for locating body on assembly jigs and too thin to bear any concentrated loads.

Correction - that lower tie piece is retail $300
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote