Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Berje

Drives: 1994 z28, 2010 ss, 2010 titan
how to change clutch fluid through the reservoir

I have searched for a while now and can not seem to find how to do it. was wondering if anyone could explain how to do it or post a link.
Thanks
Berje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Get a turkey baster and suck old fluid out or the reservoir. Then pour new fluid in. Drive around a few weeks and repeat.

Remember that brake (clutch) fluid absorbs moisture from the air, so you need to work quickly to minimize exposure.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
Get a turkey baster and suck old fluid out or the reservoir. Then pour new fluid in. Drive around a few weeks and repeat.

Remember that brake (clutch) fluid absorbs moisture from the air, so you need to work quickly to minimize exposure.
Ah...

Hmm.....

I wouldn't recommend doing this. In the V8, it's a shared master cylinder (brakes/clutch use one reservoir).

There should be a DIY writeup in the tech session. Basically you'd "bleed" fluid out the bleeder valves on the brake calipers and if there's a slave cylinder down below, you'd bleed that for the clutch. Basically opening one valve at a time, pumping the brake until clean fluid bleeds out the valve (being careful not to let the cylinder drain so far as to suck in air...keep refilling). Then working your way to the next closest line/valve on up and bleeding the clutch.

It's been a while since I've done it, but no, you do not suck fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster becuase there's still bad fluid in the lines and you are at risk of letting air enter the system. THEN you really have to bleed it.

Brake/clutch fluid is highly corrosive to paint, FYI, so absolutely keep it off the paint, do not get it all over your hands and then touch a fender, close the hood, etc.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post

This is how I've done it too. I have changed it 5 times since 2009. Every time it gets discolored I change it out. If you drive the car hard it will get dirty pretty quickly. If not the fluid will stay clean for months and months.

When I drain it I don't take all of it out nor do I let air get into the lines. That way nothing needs to be bled. The little bit of dirty fluid will get diluted with the new fluid.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
You cannot easily get to the clutch slave cylinder to bleed it from there on either the V-6 or V-8. The most effective way to handle the shared reservoir is the "turkey baster" method. Most of the dirt on an M-6 car is coming from the clutch part of the shared fluid, as the slave cylinder piston picks up particles thrown off the clutch face and transfers them, a little at a time through the boot protecting the piston/sleeve seal, into the fluid.

Fortunately, the fluid recirculates through the clutch fluid lines, and by exchanging the fluid by pumping the clutch, changing out the fluid via the baster-thing and repeating, all the clutch portion can be flushed pretty well.

I'd do the above, then bleed the brakes. But that's just me.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote