Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #99
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Bringing this thread back from the dead because this is awesome!
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #100
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I missed this one....that is a cool mod.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #101
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Thanks folks!

I have made SOME progress on it. Unfortunately not as much as I'd like, life has kinda gotten in the way lately haha. I had considered updating this but thought people may have lost interest. For those that might be, here's a few more pics.

to make the cowl piece I clay sculpted it on the car. This was the only possible way to get the right shape.

Then I picked up some plaster cast material just like they'd use if you broke your arm. It's a mesh tape impregnated with plaster. Very easy to clean, dirt cheap and won't hurt the paint.

I used some vaseline as a mould release and it popped right off. Just hit it with some sand paper and primer to seal it up and it's ready to fibreglass!

Lay up the part nice and thick. I used 3 layers of glass, it's good and sturdy, ended up about 3/8" thick.

Then you pop it out of the mould, do a little trimming and test fitting until it's right! This was my first test fit, it fits much nicer now

I've since glassed some plywood support into the back that fits through the bottom grill slot. I'm going to mount this cowl to the grill itself so it will all be one piece and can be removed like a stock grill insert. So the wood sticks through, I'm going to add one screw to the wood against the back of the grille bars to hold it in place, and then do a layer of glass on the back to make it solid and permanent. All these connections will be hidden by the cowl itself.

Right now it's just about ready for body filler and sanding to make it nice and smooth, some paint and she's done! And it will only take 2+ years haha
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #102
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Dude i'm impressed.....it def has that shock value when you see it! The BMW Halo's are some of my favorite! Great Job!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #103
wylde1
I am the Stig

I got a little further today. I was able to shape the new piece a little better and I've grafted it to the billet grille by glassing in some wood reinforcement and using some screws through the bottom of the piece. You can't see any of the attachment points from the front, which is Perfect! I put a coat of primer on it, and that's how it sits here.

Next step is to body fill and paint the new piece, then re-install on the car! I'm going to do the whole grille black as well, then the chrome bowtie outline (it's black in the middle) should really jump off it!

ALMOST THERE!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #104
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Can't wait to see the finished product. Definitely one of a kind!
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #105
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
:
Couldnt help it A for effort tho!!

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #106
wylde1
I am the Stig

HOLY SWEET BABY JEBUS.... I'M DONE!!

It only took a couple of years haha, but the front end is complete! Just be stubborn, and keep at it and eventually you can do anything!

Please don't mind the dust on the car in the garage pics, they were taken pre-wash.

Is it professional shop quality? no, it isn't. It's hand sanded and formed basically, so there are still some wavy bits that I will probably try to straighten out next winter.

Is it pretty good for a dude in his garage with minimal tools and working on it the odd weekend? Hell ya! I think it turned out great, and I am going to just enjoy driving it around for a while before thinking too hard about what I want to do next.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #107
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
HOLY SWEET BABY JEBUS.... I'M DONE!!

It only took a couple of years haha, but the front end is complete! Just be stubborn, and keep at it and eventually you can do anything!

Please don't mind the dust on the car in the garage pics, they were taken pre-wash.

Is it professional shop quality? no, it isn't. It's hand sanded and formed basically, so there are still some wavy bits that I will probably try to straighten out next winter.

Is it pretty good for a dude in his garage with minimal tools and working on it the odd weekend? Hell ya! I think it turned out great, and I am going to just enjoy driving it around for a while before thinking too hard about what I want to do next.

been following your build on this for quite some time - glad to see you finally able to finish it.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #108
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
wow it looks fantastic! great job!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #109
camaro10ss

Drives: 1979 camaro z28,2010 camaro 2ss/rs
now I think i'd like to see something like that on the 6th gen! AMAZING ENGINEERING SKILLS MY CAMARO FRIEND LOVE IT
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #110
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
One of a kind, that's so sick! Any plans on marketing it?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #111
wylde1
I am the Stig

Thanks folks!

I don't think I'll be marketing it any time soon. It took me about 2 years to complete this haha. I just don't have the time to develop all the parts, it's pretty involved. That's kindof why I started this thread, so that if someone were interested in it, they could see how I did it and it would help them get there.