Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Zl1-84

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
I got the cap off the radiator, I dont see any fluid at the top, so I'm wondering if I lost all my fluid. Engine will start but I only started it very briefly and shut back down. Just trying to figure how to get it the 4 miles. Mechanic says I should be fine just watch guage, I am thinking of playing it safe and having it towed. Blown head gasket is cheaper than new motor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Zl1-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #16
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Looks like a radiator or heater hose blew out. That would spray the engine compartment.
Intercooler system is not pressurized and wouldn't spray all over like that.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Is that a GM mechanic that said it's ok to drive?
I'm too lazy to try to look up if the Camaro has cylinder head temperature sensors unlike older cars I'm familiar with typical coolant temperature sensors. Why does that matter? I've had similar situations back in the day, and assumed the gauge would warn me in time. Things that had oil film on them under the hood started smoking from the heat. I stared at the guage and noticed it occasionally jumping to max and back down. The coolant was inadequate to circulate and keep the sensor tip covered. So it was only reading heat soak from the block or head until a bit of coolant splashed on it maxing it out. The head on this engine was cracked from the heat and the piston rings lost their tension from the heat.

If there is coolant flowing what he said is true. From the amount that is lost I think I don't trust him at all and would not take my car there. 4 miles is likely 5 minute with the engine running at the minimum with no traffic signs or lights. Doing what he said stands a high risk of destroying that $10,000 engine instead of a $25 hose replacement. Wow.
Please don't be that guy who confronts the mechanic with what I said. I stand by it but it's all on you if you choose to do what I suggest or he suggests.
It could already be where you ruined the engine because I don't know how hot it got but it might be ok if you don't heat it up again, worse.
I would look to see what's leaking and fix it in place or have it towed to a different mechanic.

Edit: Giving the mechanic the benefit of the doubt we don't know if you minimized the problem. "There seems to be a small leak somewhere I noticed some fluid in the engine compartment and on the ground". Vs "My radiator is empty because it has dumped ALL the coolant". If he is not a 'tard he would say don't drive it given the second likely accurate statement.

Last edited by silversleeper; 10-03-2018 at 07:49 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Zl1-84

Thanks! I never had any warnings about overheating or any lights come on, so I dont think it got too hot but i will find out. I trust this mechanic, so I may not have conveyed well enough how much coolant I had lost already. I am tailoring it over to him, so should be good.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #19
Zl1-84

Turned out the hose came off the supercharger coolant pump. Simple and cheap fix. Car is back to good running order. Thanks for all the comments and help.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #20
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1-84 View Post
Turned out the hose came off the supercharger coolant pump. Simple and cheap fix. Car is back to good running order. Thanks for all the comments and help.

Glad to hear.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote