Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #127
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I understand your rational but I disagree. The Z06 is no longer a focused track car. It's more of a grand touring car. Putting a blown small block, auto Trans and convertible model show a shift of priorities.
Not disagreeing with your opinion outright, because the new Z06 can be "grand toured". We are not accustomed to a focused track car having a nice interior and actually riding decently, in comfort mode, as the new Z06 does.

However, considering almost every performance category, including road course lap times, the new Z06 is going to match or surpass almost any car in the world, except for crazy expensive HYBRIDS with AUTOMATICS like the LaFerrari, Porsche 918, and the McClaren whatever.

From now on, track focused doesn't necessarily mean rides like crap with a cheap interior!

But, your point is well taken.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #128
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Oh, no doubt the Alpha platform should spawn a superb performance car. I'll bet the 6th gen SS handles as well as the current 1LE.
It would be nice but I don't see them taking handling that far for the base SS. It would be earth shattering for the entry level V8 to corner steady over 1G on tires that won't go as far performance wise as the F1 supercars. It can be done but I would really be surprised.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #129
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Oh, no doubt the Alpha platform should spawn a superb performance car. I'll bet the 6th gen SS handles as well as the current 1LE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
It would be nice but I don't see them taking handling that far for the base SS. It would be earth shattering for the entry level V8 to corner steady over 1G on tires that won't go as far performance wise as the F1 supercars. It can be done but I would really be surprised.
I agree. I don't see the 6th gen regular SS equaling the current 1LE in the handling/track department. The current SS really isn't a bad handler like some would like to think it is. The 2012 model was a nice leap forward in that department. That said, I would suspect the 6th gen to feel lighter on its feet, and should equal or surpass the current SS for sure, just not the 1LE.

I DO think they should make a track pack available for the Camaro from day one, like how Mustang offers the PP for the GT, and it SHOULD match the 1LE or better it. I think it would be a mistake to wait a year or two to offer a good handling package, but wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #130
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
So many good points above...

The CA6 SS should be considerably more balanced (less understeer) than the CA5 SS, due to the new chassis and better suspension tuning. The new SS will still need to have a good ride to sell to the masses, so this should keep it from handling as well as the current 1LE, especially with tires better suited to four seasons.

I expect the new 1LE will, obviously, have a stiffer and well damped suspension as it does now. I think, for the new 1LE, GM may go with a very high performance tire, but not quite as extreme as the current 1LE tire for better cold weather capability... and I think the new 1LE's performance will still be better than the current 1LE, due to lighter weight and more power and a thoroughly tuned chassis. I hope they go with a true square tire/wheel setup for easy rotation.

Give me a Silver 2016 SS 1LE, 1SS, Recaros, upgrade stereo, @ 440 HP/435 TQ, a full tank of gas, and I'll be happy! Right, forgot, NPP a must!

Last edited by natmad; 11-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #131
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
So many good points above...

The CA6 SS should be considerably more balanced (less understeer) than the CA5 SS, due to the new chassis and better suspension tuning. The new SS will still need to have a good ride to sell to the masses, so this should keep it from handling as well as the current 1LE, especially with tires better suited to four seasons.

I expect the new 1LE will, obviously, have a stiffer and well damped suspension as it does now. I think, for the new 1LE, GM may go with a very high performance tire, but not quite as extreme as the current 1LE tire for better cold weather capability... and I think the new 1LE's performance will still be better than the current 1LE, due to lighter weight and more power and a thoroughly tuned chassis. I hope they go with a true square tire/wheel setup for easy rotation.

Give me a Silver 2016 SS 1LE, 1SS, Recaros, upgrade stereo, @ 440 HP/435 TQ, a full tank of gas, and I'll be happy!
That would be a great Camaro. Don't forget the NPP exhaust.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #132
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post

However, considering almost every performance category, including road course lap times, the new Z06 is going to match or surpass almost any car in the world, except for crazy expensive HYBRIDS with AUTOMATICS like the LaFerrari, Porsche 918, and the McClaren whatever.

From now on, track focused doesn't necessarily mean rides like crap with a cheap interior!
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #133
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I DO think they should make a track pack available for the Camaro from day one, like how Mustang offers the PP for the GT, and it SHOULD match the 1LE or better it. I think it would be a mistake to wait a year or two to offer a good handling package, but wouldn't surprise me if they did.
I totally agree, and the handling package should be available for every version from the base car on up (as it is with Mustang).
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #134
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I agree. I don't see the 6th gen regular SS equaling the current 1LE in the handling/track department. The current SS really isn't a bad handler like some would like to think it is. The 2012 model was a nice leap forward in that department. That said, I would suspect the 6th gen to feel lighter on its feet, and should equal or surpass the current SS for sure, just not the 1LE.

What I see is the Gen 6 SS being "nearly" equal to the Gen 5 SS 1LE. And I then expect the unknown battle to be whether or not there is a Gen 6 1LE OR Z/28 or a Gen 6 1LE AND a Z/28. In either case, there will be something in the Gen 6 that puts a Gen 5 1LE in the weeds.

There haven't been many magazines that have had many kind things to say about the base SS handling and I think the Alpha architecture brings much more than light weight. Think of the M3/M4 that the ATS V will be competing against. That bones are there and I believe they will use them wisely.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #135
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
none of the magazine's have bothered to test a regular SS since 2011. :( i think 2012 they made some change's though.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #136
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What I see is the Gen 6 SS being "nearly" equal to the Gen 5 SS 1LE. And I then expect the unknown battle to be whether or not there is a Gen 6 1LE OR Z/28 or a Gen 6 1LE AND a Z/28. In either case, there will be something in the Gen 6 that puts a Gen 5 1LE in the weeds.

There haven't been many magazines that have had many kind things to say about the base SS handling and I think the Alpha architecture brings much more than light weight. Think of the M3/M4 that the ATS V will be competing against. That bones are there and I believe they will use them wisely.
I see it the same way. The base SS should realistically run with the current 1LE, (at least compete with it) or certainly what we've seen from the Mustang GT PP. Which brings up the question: do you really need a 1LE at that point or do you go straight to a Z/28?

Anyone who's spent some time in an ATS can tell you that Alpha will raise the Camaro bar dramatically.

BTW, the 1LE and FE4 are total reactions by GM to the bad reviews the SS got early on compared to the Mustang TP. I predict no such scenario will occur with the 6th gen.

Last edited by Z/284ever; 11-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote