Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #57
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
I went BRM 1" drop and have had them on for a couple of months. I love the look, no scraping or rubbing issues any where I drive so far. They did settle about a 1/4" during the first 500 miles. I made other changes at the same time so I can't say if by themselves they improve the handling. Bigger bumps result in a sharp jarring feel versus the stock springs. The install guide that came with the BMR springs did not mention trimming the bump stops whereas the Phadt 1.25" drop springs did have you trim them. I wish I had trimmed them as the sharp feel might be from hitting the bump stops. At some point I will take them apart and mod the bump stops but not for awhile since I just had the alignment done. Think a 1" front and 1.25" rear might give the best look with the gaps being more equal.

The biggest handling improvement came from replacing the front radius arm bushings (much improved steering feel) and the rear cradle bushings (got rid of the squirm).

I wanted to add an update to this post. As I said above, I wondered if some of the poor ride quality was due to not trimming the bump stops. Well, last weekend I tackled the job of trimming the stops. So I didn't have to get another alignment I cut the front stops while still installed on the shocks. On the rear shocks I removed them to access the stops. I cut 1" from the stops per the Phadt online instructions for their springs.

Well, this made all the difference in the world. The overall ride is much better, especially over rough roads, with none of the "sharp" feel I was seeing before. Well worth the effort!

For all of you installing BMR 1" lowering springs do yourself a favor and trim the bump stops to get the best possible ride for your Camaro.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #58
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I wanted to add an update to this post. As I said above, I wondered if some of the poor ride quality was due to not trimming the bump stops. Well, last weekend I tackled the job of trimming the stops. So I didn't have to get another alignment I cut the front stops while still installed on the shocks. On the rear shocks I removed them to access the stops. I cut 1" from the stops per the Phadt online instructions for their springs.

Well, this made all the difference in the world. The overall ride is much better, especially over rough roads, with none of the "sharp" feel I was seeing before. Well worth the effort!

For all of you installing BMR 1" lowering springs do yourself a favor and trim the bump stops to get the best possible ride for your Camaro.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this. I do intend on installing 1" springs, so I will be sure to do this. I have not decided on BMR or Hotchkiss yet though, I hear the later has the best ride quality. Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #59
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
@Apex Chase - noted and fixed. Thank you!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #60
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Posted by Chrystal Red Tintcoat, above, post #52;
Quote:
"Negative camber is becoming increasingly more popular because of its visual appeal. The real advantages to negative camber are seen in the handling characteristics. An aggressive driver will enjoy the benefits of increased grip during heavy cornering with negative camber. During straight acceleration however, negative camber will reduce the contact surface between the tires and road surface.

Regrettably, negative camber generates what is referred to as camber thrust. When both tires are angled negatively they push against each other, which is fine as long as both tires are in contact with the road surface. When one tire loses grip, the other tire no longer has an opposing force being applied to it and as a result the vehicle is thrust towards the wheel with no traction."

I don't know where that quote originated; but it seems to apply more to street driving.

Negative camber has always been popular for cornering in racing. Not for its "visual appeal" (?).
It works to allow the outside tire to remain more vertical under heavy side loads, thus creating more force to counter the effects of the turn.

There is nothing "regrettable" about the outside tire creating thrust toward the inside in a turn in racing.
All race cars depend on that. The more the better.
As demonstrated by this picture of my Pony with Hoosier A6's on a stock suspension in Auto-X:

This also illustrates what happens when you bottom out the suspension to the bump stops on one side.
Click to view full size image, and if you look carefully behind the tires you can see the little bits of rubber that are coming off the gumballs; which indicate they're warm and working hard.

Last edited by lostwon; 05-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #61
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
TTT for reference...
Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #62
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
I have my 1LE track pack ordered and it's on its way and having a shop install it. While it's going to be down(here in a week or two), I have been thinking about lowering springs as well since I have a pretty big wheel gap, but I don't want to sacrifice the beautiful handling of the 1LE. Has there been any extensive testing on a track or anything to say whether or not any of the springs have not hurt handling? I did see that the Pfadt(perhaps now the APEX) springs improved handling or took corners and twists better from someone's review. Would the 1.25's settle even lower and thus sacrifice geometry though?
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #63
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
I have my 1LE track pack ordered and it's on its way and having a shop install it. While it's going to be down(here in a week or two), I have been thinking about lowering springs as well since I have a pretty big wheel gap, but I don't want to sacrifice the beautiful handling of the 1LE. Has there been any extensive testing on a track or anything to say whether or not any of the springs have not hurt handling? I did see that the Pfadt(perhaps now the APEX) springs improved handling or took corners and twists better from someone's review. Would the 1.25's settle even lower and thus sacrifice geometry though?
No, you will be happy with the results.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #64
Anaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
No, you will be happy with the results.
Cool. I may end up going with yours. Now I have to wait for the Black Friday deals to see if they'll be on special. I'd rather have the springs installed once the track pack goes on to cut down on labor and get it aligned and be done with it.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #65
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
I'm personally getting a set of Hotchkiss springs. They are only a 1" drop and are known for their great ride. I figure the drop will be sufficient for looks and will improve handling. The geometry should stay very similar.

Plus they can be had for under $250. I'm not swaying you from any other product just giving you some options.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #66
Anaconda

I appreciate the responses very much. Also would lowering the car affect the longevity of the stock bushings anywhere in particular in any way?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #67
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I would contact Justice Pete on your suspension geometry questions. It really boils down to what you are going to use the car for. I can say on the ZL1 there is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch drop avail in the front, and about 1 inch in the rear, that is as far as I would go. Not sure about your application, but you want to make sure the Lower Control arms are lower at the ball joint end, than at the body pick up point.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #68
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Cool. I may end up going with yours. Now I have to wait for the Black Friday deals to see if they'll be on special. I'd rather have the springs installed once the track pack goes on to cut down on labor and get it aligned and be done with it.
That is a good idea. On both counts.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #69
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:

I have the BMR 1" installed for over a year actually. What do you mean by trimming the bumpstops? I'll be swapping my shocks this weekend so this would be a good time to do this. Do you have any pics or a link?
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #70
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I have the BMR 1" installed for over a year actually. What do you mean by trimming the bumpstops? I'll be swapping my shocks this weekend so this would be a good time to do this. Do you have any pics or a link?
It means you actually cut the bumpstop with a razor blade etc. With a shorter spring you are reducing the travel of the strut so when you trim the bumpstop you are adding a little more back to the stroke. So when you hit a big bump you will hit the bumpstop and it will be harsh. Cut it and get a little more length so it isn't harsh over big bumps. Hope this helps.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote