Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
This is kinda spam at the moment because we don't know what the zl1 will do. We can however use the cts-v for a very good benchmark for it. The zl1 will most likely be a mid to low 12 second car trapping around 115. Hopefully it will be much better than that. As far as gt500 vs zl-1, right now on paper the odds are stacked against the zl1 due to the gt500 weighing only 3750lbs and the zl1 will most likely be over 4000lbs.
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I didn't realize GM had made any performance claims for the ZL1 yet? I must have missed that.

Sorry, Rez....but this is one of my least favorite threads in this section so far...bold claims to make with absolutely no ammunition...

You think they tested against the GT500 and put all this work into the ZL1 just to be "close" to the GT500? Noooooo.....expect it to be a very very sad snake...
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
One thing that bother me a tad. Chevy showed the car a little too soon and tipped thier hand. Ford moves FAST, not like GM. They can get the few HP they need to surpass a ZL1 by Jan 2012. They can test against a CTS-V and say OK, we need lets say 25hp and 30lbs of TQ to take the ZL1, and get it done by the time the ZL1 ships.
-Bobby
Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Please read the chat transcript on this same forum.

Did someone expect that the only things that people post on this forum is "yay" or "yippee" or some dumb-ass smiley? Geez - so much for the lack of intellectual conversation.

Here's the link for those people who only like to read "yay" or "yippee" type posts:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128453
Thanks for the recap, but I was there and read that transcript like a dozen times. I suppose I'd rather some "yippee" posts rather than crap on someone elses lawn, lol. I thought my intial post was relevant. You asked about reviewers and I provided examples of how objective some are not and that they hardly try to show what these cars are capable of. JMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Al Oppenheiser:
I fully expect the competition to be in our Rear view mirror! I feel that to push the Camaro performance and technology to the limits is right and necessary, because at GM we don't just want to compete, we want to Win!
Wednesday February 9, 2011 3:09 Al Oppenheiser
3:09

"yay".. "yippee"..
And I don't read where someone from GM says there's going to be a spanking, as you put. Furthermore, I believe Mr. O commented on the respect he had for the other cars in the segment in the GTG video.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #19
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Sorry, Rez....but this is one of my least favorite threads in this section so far...bold claims to make with absolutely no ammunition...

You think they tested against the GT500 and put all this work into the ZL1 just to be "close" to the GT500? Noooooo.....expect it to be a very very sad snake...
yes but my point is, non-GM drivers won't get the same performance numbers. GM has always managed to get better numbers than non-GM drivers - eg. GM's CTS-V claims have not been matched by other car reviewers. So following that pattern, the ZL-1 may not be as good as the creators think in other driver's hands.

Another perfect example is the 2010 Camaro SS. You would think that it would spank a 300HP Mustang GT right? Wrong! There were many categories it lost and it lost to something with 100HP less. Based on your logic that's impossible - and yet the 2010 Camaro SS is a perfect example.

No doubt that when GM drivers tested the 2010 Camaro SS - it beat the 300HP Mustang GT handedly in their own tests. They created the 2010 Camaro SS to beat the 300HP Mustang GT.

I am making a prediction that history will repeat itself: the ZL-1 will be very close to the GT500, but not better nor worse than.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #20
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks for the recap, but I was there and read that transcript like a dozen times. I suppose I'd rather some "yippee" posts rather than crap on someone elses lawn, lol. I thought my intial post was relevant. You asked about reviewers and I provided examples of how objective some are not and that they hardly try to show what these cars are capable of. JMHO.
Although I quoted you, I wasn't actually specifically talking *about* you, but about some other posters (who shall remain nameless) who have nothing better to do than reply with a sarcastic smiley or something similar.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #21
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
One thing that bother me a tad. Chevy showed the car a little too soon and tipped thier hand. Ford moves FAST, not like GM. They can get the few HP they need to surpass a ZL1 by Jan 2012. They can test against a CTS-V and say OK, we need lets say 25hp and 30lbs of TQ to take the ZL1, and get it done by the time the ZL1 ships.
-Bobby
I thought about that the other day too, the ZL1 at Chicago wasn't even finished but they still rolled it out early. I know that the announcement of a new ZL1 and even a special model every six months will keep the buzz alive but GM shouldn't panic at the sales slump over the winter, its natural. They should have held off until the summer and had a completed product ready for review...

You are right though, Ford does move fast.. the 2007 GT500 was originally built to compete with the inevitable 5th Gen Camaro Z28 (now the ZL1 I guess)
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #22
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Well, I take that back... the Camaro is in the best position to sustain interest in the US sport coupe market so if it gets people moving I guess its cool... As a Ford fan, I am absolutely ecstatic that they showed early... Ford won't move their chess pieces until GM does.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #23
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
-Bobby
And that's exactly why I believe the released HP specs are conservative. Why give the competition almost a year heads up? I think the reality is that nobody but GM knows what the target for the final power and weight numbers for this vehicle will be, and that includes Ford.

I still expect more HP than the CTS-V's current 556, unless they can somehow avoid the gas guzzler tax at the the estimated 550 HP number.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #24
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Who would be willing to pay the gas guzzler tax for a significant HP increase over the 550 announced?

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I thought about that the other day too, the ZL1 at Chicago wasn't even finished but they still rolled it out early. I know that the announcement of a new ZL1 and even a special model every six months will keep the buzz alive but GM shouldn't panic at the sales slump over the winter, its natural. They should have held off until the summer and had a completed product ready for review...

You are right though, Ford does move fast.. the 2007 GT500 was originally built to compete with the inevitable 5th Gen Camaro Z28 (now the ZL1 I guess)
I think they were just trying to show us fanatics that they are listening and to "Keep the Faith". Having a convertible come out is great and all, but CAMARO is so much about performance that I think they knew the community needed to see, officially, that something is in the works. I think a lot of people are making a little too much of what they've read and heard (me included), but though we have some details, we still don't know how it all works together. We have next generation MR shocks and EPS; these are the generation after the current Y-bodies and CTS-Vs! (well - no EPS on CTS-V or 'Vette for that matter I think...). My point is, that though we've been given points of referrence, we don't know the specifics and to really make an opinion either way is too early at this point. It's no doubt Ford moves quickly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Well, I take that back... the Camaro is in the best position to sustain interest in the US sport coupe market so if it gets people moving I guess its cool... As a Ford fan, I am absolutely ecstatic that they showed early... Ford won't move their chess pieces until GM does.
It'll be just as easy for GM to bump power as it will for Ford. It's not like they don't have the same validation GM has to face. I'll give on it having a stout 8.8" rear, but the tranny still has the same maximum loads (I don't recall what they are off the top of my head though). My point is, that each can make minor changes (like both did with the diesels recently). It's a GREAT time to be a car guy. Who'd have really thought we'd be discussing nearly 600 horse' factory CAMAROs and Mustangs?!!! It's only going to get more interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Who would be willing to pay the gas guzzler tax for a significant HP increase over the 550 announced?
I WOULD!!! We have the best chance at overcoming that, though. With the EPS, like that one the Shelby, some parasitic losses will be reduced, and what I believe to be probably slightly less restrictive intake and exhaust systems (in comparison to the LSA in the CTS-V), I think there could be a chance we could eek buy. I don't care if it doesn't though - that's just be icing on the cake

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
-Bobby
If you think the ZL1's final HP rating is gonna be 550hp, you are sorely mistaken.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The original post assumes very close performance to the GT500; so close that a tester could fudge the results to go one way or the other. Even if the GT500 wins in some categories, I'm convinced that the ZL1 will tend to win more overall reviews.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The original post assumes very close performance to the GT500; so close that a tester could fudge the results to go one way or the other. Even if the GT500 wins in some categories, I'm convinced that the ZL1 will tend to win more overall reviews.
I might give the GT500 an advantage in acceleration, but I really don't know about handling. Like everyone else - I have nothing to go by on that other than a gut feeling. What I DO know is, with the SC in CAMARO, finally, it will be super-easy to make more power on the cheap

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"