Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
SSInfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
My First AutoCross

So, I went to my first autocross this past weekend. It was a SCCA sanctioned event, and had a school for noobs like myself on Saturday. The school went over basics such as Autocross Launch and Stopping, Skid Pad, Decreasing radius corner and slalom.

I had a bunch of people say how impressed they were with the camaro (First one to be taken to our SCCA region). I held the skid pad pretty well as well as the slalom.

Sunday was the actual autocross. I was in the third group to go, arrived at 8:00 am and didn't get on the course until 1:30 pm, which kinda burned me a little... meh.. anyways..

The course that was set up was full of REALLY sharp turns, and one straight away that was maybe 75 yards. So, the higher horse power cars were at a disadvantage to the shorter wheel based vehicles and AWD's. The last part of the course was basically a figure eight that looped around onto itself then ended with a obtuse angle. And this is the section that I ran into my problems.

I found out the hard way that super sharp turns that loop you around 180 degrees aren't the strong point for this car. I was finding myself unable to see where the hell I was going. I walked the course five times that morning trying to memorize the turns that I knew were going to be a problem. Even after doing that, I found myself guessing where the next cones where.

My first run, I went "Off Course" and counted as a DNF. So that didn't start well. The second and third runs, I took a cone for a ride, that I never even saw. Those A pillars in the car make some nice blind spots. and the Fourth and final run I did another off course. I'm a little bummed... well okay, not a little, but a lot. I wanted to do well, and maybe make something out of this since it's the only thing around less than 700 miles, that I can "race" legally.

I took advice from other drivers saying always LOOK AHEAD, and that helped out a lot on the first sections of the course... but when I hit that figure eight, it all went out the window since I couldn't look ahead until I was already on the damn next corner.

Long story short, I finished 15th out of 19 in the novice class. I would have been 10th, but the cones that I ran over cost me 2+ seconds and bumped me a bit.

The times for the event ranged from 45 seconds (WRX STi) to 65 seconds. I ran a 56.00 + 2. I feel as if I let the other camaro owners down.

Anyone else run into this problem? Should I go to another event and hope the course isn't as hellish and has some corners that I can actually see around?! Any advice!?

I'll post pictures later in the week.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Nah, you did good... Imagine if a go-cart was allowed on the course, it would have cut those times in half, advantage go-cart.. But you wouldn't want to take a go-cart on a very long trip, would you, advantage Camaro.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
if this is your thing and you enjoy it,if it was me,i would run this course again and keep running it until i got the time you are looking for.then i would move on to somewhere else.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
2quick

Drives: none
its just going to take some practice. Driving a car and racing a car on a track are a whole lot different. Stay at it and hit as many events as you can. Those times will go down. Main thing is to make sure your having fun at it.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Yeah I agree you've gotta have fun. Did you have any of the more experienced drivers ride with you. That can help a lot. Looking ahead really is the most important thing for car placement and practice, practice, practice. I'm by no means a pro driver but I've gone a few times now and gotten better with each outing. Last time I got the FTD fastest time of the day out of 32. Nothing feels better than when you put a hurtin on some of the cars that are supposed to beat a "heavy muscle car." Thats what one of the import guys called me.