Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #127
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
So, I'm guessing that nobody is making led replacements yet for the back up lights?

If not i will purchase my own and make it. To all those who have done this mod which one is the best solution?

Thank you!
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #128
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Will those fit in there? the bulb size is 12184
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #129
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
Will those fit in there? the bulb size is 12184
Can't say for sure. I just found them listed on their website for. 2013 Camaro
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #130
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
They won't work unless you install a socket that will fit the back up lamp. Our bulbs are made into a socket that plugs directly into the harness.

I've been hoping that some company would eventually manufacture an LED with this base, but haven't found one yet.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #131
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
They won't work unless you install a socket that will fit the back up lamp. Our bulbs are made into a socket that plugs directly into the harness.

I've been hoping that some company would eventually manufacture an LED with this base, but haven't found one yet.
You are correct. The reverse light socket in 10'-13's won't accept a LED base.

To get a LED to fit into the reverse light socket you have to remove the LED base. Then separate the stock bulb from the bulb socket base, then line up the two LED prong wires with the holes in the bulb socket base and insert the LED into the bulb socket base (see OP and post#39 for pics)

Last edited by camguynj; 11-14-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #132
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Oh, LMAO! I guess one should check the thread out before posting!
Gotta love making myself look stupid!

Last edited by fhrex; 11-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
fhrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #133
CamOnlySS

Drives: Black 2010 SS 6spd
I know this is an old thread, but anyone still looking to do this, I'll give you a heads up that it's not as easy as it seems. The bulb after 7 years in that housing doesn't want to just pull out. I had to break the glass and grab the metal legs with vice grips to get them out... It's a pain in the ass, be prepared to fight it the whole way.
CamOnlySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #134
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlySS View Post
I know this is an old thread, but anyone still looking to do this, I'll give you a heads up that it's not as easy as it seems. The bulb after 7 years in that housing doesn't want to just pull out. I had to break the glass and grab the metal legs with vice grips to get them out... It's a pain in the ass, be prepared to fight it the whole way.
What LED did you replace the bulb with?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #135
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I want to see more info on this set up, it seems like you would get the most light possible to the rear and if the LEDs are tucked between the bumper cover and the diffuser, they should be almost invisible except under real close inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogge View Post
You may also want to try 'side emitting' led's. It's an LED flexible light strip, but the LED's show out of the side rather than the top. I put mine under the lip of my bumper. Just had to drill a small hole in the diffuser to run the wires through. I tapped in to the wires for back up lights. Can't even see the light strip when looking at the car. You have to lean over and look under the lip to even notice that there is a strip there. But when the back up lights are on.....

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #136
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
Got burnt out stock lamps at 145k miles. Doing this mod soon myself.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #137
bub

Was wondering how both the stock lamps could both be out simultaneously at 145k miles, but was also suspicious of an improper previous collision repair.

Well, I took the rear fascia off to see what the bulb situation was, and to my surprise, the harness and OEM bulbs were missing altogether! I am the second owner of this "project car", and I was aware that this car had been rear ended (rear fascia replaced) 4Q 2018 (date code of Oct 2018 noted on rear fascia paper part number tag).

The harness had been cobbled back together from the RR damage by some broke arse collision shop, but I was able to find one of the back-up lamp circuits (green + with black gnd) and splice in 2 new generic 194 bulb holder sockets from the local parts store. I figure the LED draw will be < or = to 1 regular bulb. I put 194 regular bulbs in there for now, but also figure those are low amp draws.

Thus, when my LED's show up, I can just plug them right in to the 194 sockets. Note that these sockets are not a direct fit into the GM lamp housing, but we came up with a way to secure them using the existing "posts" near the socket opening and a zip tie on each lamp. Heated and bent "posts" to make tie hooks. The sockets have a lip seal to keep out moisture and dirt.

Will try to post pics when I change out the cheap 194 bulbs I put in there for the 42 LED 194's I ordered off eBay to show what I did.

Also, housing is reflectorized inside. Someone earlier said it was not, just white inside. At least on this car (early build 2010) it is reflectorized inside.

Last edited by bub; 01-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #138
camguynj

I'll be very interested to see your results I thought of replacing the eom bulb with a LED but held off going thru all that's involved in getting to them as I wondered how much of an increase in light there would be given the size of the housing opening.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #139
Bill Fraley

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT 6-SPD
I just installed these in my 2010 today. No problem with fitment, exact fit, and they plugged in without modification. Very bright and I am happy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VTN24N..._lV-pCbBEXWNXZ

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk
Bill Fraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #140
bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I'll be very interested to see your results I thought of replacing the eom bulb with a LED but held off going thru all that's involved in getting to them as I wondered how much of an increase in light there would be given the size of the housing opening.

Good luck!
Worked great but didn't get any pics, as phone was dead while doing the install.

When you get the thing apart, it is interesting to see just how much larger the housing is than the relatively small opening in the fascia. Like a parts bin housing they pulled out for the Gen 5...