Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Moe A

Drives: 13' Camaro ZL1
Intercooler pump not turning on after Afco HX install

Just finished installing Afco Dual Fan Hx, filled it through the top as much as i can with burping. i then turned the car on and the pump never turned on after the car warmed up but it did around 15 minutes in and kept going on and off for a bit then stopped, now it does not start at all, i emptied out the system and tried again cause i thought maybe it had too much air and then tried again with no success yet again. is it possible that i burnt it out? because it almost always had fluid going through it but it was making a fuzzy noise. No CEL, no blown fuse, unplugged the relay and tried manually switching it on without any success, checked the pump plug and i have tried everything that every IC pump thread on the forum suggested and since it did turn on briefly i doubt i messed up the wiring job to do with the Afco fans.
please help
Moe A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Moe A

and FYI if you're asking how i wired up the fans, i cut one of the white wires, specifically the one that is alone not the one next to the black wire, so please tell me if this is correct?
the Afco instructions were not clear at all about which one to cut. so i just copied their picture and i am not sure if i did the correct thing, keep in mind that it did turn on but just briefly.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Could be low on fluid or air in the system. I'd check that before diagnosing any circuits.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Moe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Could be low on fluid or air in the system. I'd check that before diagnosing any circuits.
Alright, but shouldn't it turn on? For at least a few seconds because it didn't at all, I filled water directly from the lower port on the supercharger, so the pump has water directly on top of it.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
JB'sZL1

Well, if your pump was dry you've answered your own question...as it is the lowest part of the system it should never be dry. Yes, the pump is probably fried.

Only a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water should be installed in the system.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Moe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Well, if your pump was dry you've answered your own question...as it is the lowest part of the system it should never be dry. Yes, the pump is probably fried.

Only a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water should be installed in the system.
As I've mentioned it was not dry it had water and I used a shop vac to vacuum seal the system today, but no success, i think the pump is fried but doesn't it have a built in sensor that prevents it from being fried?
Either way thank you for replying!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe A View Post
As I've mentioned it was not dry it had water and I used a shop vac to vacuum seal the system today, but no success, i think the pump is fried but doesn't it have a built in sensor that prevents it from being fried?
Either way thank you for replying!

Yes it should shut off if there is air in the system and no fluid is in the pump.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Moe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Yes it should shut off if there is air in the system and no fluid is in the pump.
Exactly what I thought and it did at first but now I'm getting nothing.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe A View Post
Exactly what I thought and it did at first but now I'm getting nothing.

At this point you have already wired the AFCO fans into the pump so I would just unplug the pump and put 12 volts to it to test.
Attached Images

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The pump circuit should be separate and isolated and is the trigger for the fans. if the fans are running you should see a constant high flow rate in the reservoir. I had the rotofab black tank.

I had ground issues with the relays with mine. I had to add a dedicated ground to the relays but this was a fan issue no a pump one. The pump always ran the fans were intermittent.

I am thinking pump issue, but you should be checking the voltage on the IC fuse in the engine bay and see if that is odd.
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #11
Moe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
The pump circuit should be separate and isolated and is the trigger for the fans. if the fans are running you should see a constant high flow rate in the reservoir. I had the rotofab black tank.

I had ground issues with the relays with mine. I had to add a dedicated ground to the relays but this was a fan issue no a pump one. The pump always ran the fans were intermittent.

I am thinking pump issue, but you should be checking the voltage on the IC fuse in the engine bay and see if that is odd.
Neither the pump or the fans are running, I gave up on diagnosing it so I'm taking it to a shop today and crossing my fingers the pump isn't fried and it's just a wiring issue, because it doesn't make sense since it has a safety switch to not fry itself.
Also I'm guessing you have the Afco hx with the fans? If so which power wire did you cut from the pump plug? As I feel like that might be causing an issue and I did it incorrectly, I cut the wire that is on its own not next to the ground black wire.
Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Moe A; 08-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #12
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I didn't cut in to the harness but went directly to the IC pump fuse NO3 and tapped off that as a trigger. That brings 12volts to the relays for the fans and keeps the actual pump isolated.
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Moe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
I didn't cut in to the harness but went directly to the IC pump fuse NO3 and tapped off that as a trigger. That brings 12volts to the relays for the fans and keeps the actual pump isolated.
I don't know why I didn't think of that.. much cleaner and no tampering with wires.
My fans are running all the time now, but my pump is not so I'm guessing the pump is fried or I tapped in the wrong wire?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
JB'sZL1

The fans on the Afco are designed to operate all the time unless you install a switch.