Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #1
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Angry Shouldn't Be This Difficult...

So I've decided to finally install a Boss BVB9364RC using an Alpine Perfect Fit KTX-CMO installation kit. I know that the kit was designed for another head unit but I got the boss for free so I decided to try this before dropping $400+. I have installed a few after market sound systems previously and this is by far the hardest install I've ever done. The main cable coming with the interface is HUGE. It has so mush wire that it does not fit behind the stereo and for the past few hours I've been trying to stuff it this way and that.

At this point im frustrated and contemplating letting someone install it as there must be some special trick to this.

I can confirm both units work as when its plugged up for a few seconds everything works and then it goes dark. while it's dark the hazards still function but AC buttons are dead. I found that the unit has to be plugged in following a certain order did that same thing. even tried redoing everything with the battery off so I know it's in "sleep mode" and same thing. IDK if it's defective or not but it's very frustrating.

a few months ago I did an install in a 2009 Ford Expedition which included a multi amp rack and 3 subs. It was SIMPLE compared to this.

If someone reads this and understands what im saying please help. Id rather do this myself then pay someone more than what the radio cost me smh...pictures will follow.

2012 Camaro LS nothing fancy.
Attached Images

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
You should be able to stuff all the cable in the opening above the radio. That is where I put all of mine. As for the radio not staying on it sounds like it’s going in to protect mode. Maybe something shorting out with all the wires being squished together.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
You should be able to stuff all the cable in the opening above the radio. That is where I put all of mine. As for the radio not staying on it sounds like it’s going in to protect mode. Maybe something shorting out with all the wires being squished together.
Thanks for the reply. My last unsuccessful attempt included this. slowly stuffed the cable at the top still could not get the radio to sit in the space though if I remove the cable and just sit it in the space it fits perfectly.

so to just test it while it was on I had the radio playing and realized only 1 speaker is playing. went through the setting and did a sweep. sure enough everything it set correctly in the middle so now there's another issue I have to completely rewire the speaker wires SMH. im 100 sure I have each wire correctly.

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Old 10-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

doing a mock fitment and it fits perfectly, but all cables had to be moved out of the way. there is 0 clearance for any of these thick cables. im debating if I can knock out that wall in the back and stuff it back there? I want to say I saw someone do that but can't find the info to save my life smh...
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Army of Wuzzy

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
doing a mock fitment and it fits perfectly, but all cables had to be moved out of the way. there is 0 clearance for any of these thick cables. im debating if I can knock out that wall in the back and stuff it back there? I want to say I saw someone do that but can't find the info to save my life smh...
You can cut out some of the rear side structure to fit the wiring. I had to do that for my iDatalink

"If you aren't first, you're last"
-Ricky Bobby
Army of Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
You can cut it out as long as you still have the support you need to hold the radio in place.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You have to go either up and zip tie the cables up there or you can cut and widen the opening on the bottom and you can jam it down there. You may also be able to snake it towards the glovebox side.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #8
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Smile *Update*

So as an update I've decided to have Boss send me a different head unit (BV9358B) and I ordered the PAC interface. Just received it today and did the HVAC button switch. Went easier than I thought it would, hope I did it right.

Y do some of my pics come out upside down?

What is the GM20CAM plug for?
Attached Images

Last edited by Oneflyenyceguy; 10-23-2020 at 12:06 AM. Reason: much needed correction.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
Cheap Guy

^^^That plug is to use your stock camera if you have one.

Good move on the PAC kit. Just be careful with the circuit board. It’s easy to pull the connectors loose.

Hint - try to route the chime module into the glove box so you can adjust it if it’s too loud or soft.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 10-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
^^^That plug is to use your stock camera if you have one.

Good move on the PAC kit. Just be careful with the circuit board. It’s easy to pull the connectors loose.

Hint - try to route the chime module into the glove box so you can adjust it if it’s too loud or soft.
Ok just waiting for the post office to drop off the radio and I can complete this. Expected delivery is by 8PM smh

Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Angry

So I finally get the radio delivered and took my time writing up each connection tightly to the interface. As I go to plug everything into the dash I notice the HVAC connection is missing. I had a friend of mine who is also an installer help with routing the previous bundle of cables behind the dash and I have no idea what happened to it. I attempted to just connect the big harness to my big plug and see if the radio would even work....nothing no power. I dont know why this is so hard.

Now I might have to pay someone to take the dash down to find that cable and figure out why the radio will not power on.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

So this morning in my frustration I decided to again look for the hvac cable and I found it. Apparently my friend tucked it WAY under the dashboard. The PAC interface works but my ac will not get cold. The compressor turns on just wont get cold previously had no issues. Does the kit have to learn something? The radio still will not power on will try to give it straight 12v power and see from there.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

*update

Upon further inspection I found out why the radio is giving power and possible sound issues. Just ordered another harness. Still no idea why the ac will not get cold. Blower works though...
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #14
Cheap Guy

I was kind of warning you that the HVAC connection to the circuit board is kind of delicate. I accidentally pulled the connector off the main circuit board after the harness got caught in the little opening on the dash and had to order a new one from PAC. Might want to check to see if all the soldered connections are ok.
Attached Images

Tags
difficult, hard, radio, scosche dash kit