Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are planning to dyno test the V6 CAI this late this coming week. While we've had good success with the V8 intake, we do realize the V6 is a "different animal" as one member stated it. We do have a very popular and proven G8 V6 intake on the market which is a very similar application. Between our experience with it along with our V8 Camaro intake, we are extremely confident this system will give us great results.
+1 You have two in San Antonio anxiously waiting
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are planning to dyno test the V6 CAI this late this coming week. While we've had good success with the V8 intake, we do realize the V6 is a "different animal" as one member stated it. We do have a very popular and proven G8 V6 intake on the market which is a very similar application. Between our experience with it along with our V8 Camaro intake, we are extremely confident this system will give us great results.
I agree and had an extensive conversation with a gentleman who knows CAI's and more-so the ROTO FAB. I will wait to see what y'all come up with.. I am also confident in your product after all that I was told regarding all te different CAI's. I am anxious to see what the dyno results are for the V6 CAI from ROTO FAB.

[/QUOTE]You can't make comparisons between the v6 and v8 aftermarket products. There are 2 cylinders missing in the v6 you know?[/QUOTE]

#1. My "research" WAS on the V6 CAI, Injen versus Airaid
#2. I KNOW that ROTO FAB doesn't have a V6 CAI... I'm waiting for it..I also know that the gains and sound is diff between the V6 and V8...however I can be impressed by it even of it was made and bolted to a V8
#3. YOUR FREAKING KIDDING ME!? I had NO idea that the V8 had more cylinders than the V6 and that AM performance mods are different and produce different results! OH YEAH.. I forgot, I have a ****** and tits, there's no way in hell I would have known that.

Can you FEEL the sarcasm!?

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #17
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
Yep. Rotofab builds a impressive V8 CAI, but the V6 engine is a totally different animal. Injen CAI has been the only CAI for the V6 that has been impressive with positive HP gains. Please do a little research before you buy. Its better to be safe than sorry. Theres been alot of folks on here that have been disappointed with there V6 CAI's, but I have yet to meet anyone that has the Injen CAI say that they are not happy with it. Just saying.....
Appreciate your advice! . Gonna wait an see what the V6 ROTO FAB CAI produces... Injen is a close second...we'll see what ROTO FAB comes out with.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markal View Post
Airaid works great on V8s but, they had to redesign the tube for the V6 due to HP losses. I bought the Injen because it drops below the heat in the engine compartment....heat rises...most of the so called CAI's are high and close to the engine.....there has to be heat up there and therfore less oxygen. The Injen rides low in the fender well. Research what others are saying and pay attention to dyno's and actual runs. Injen has been proven over and over. Most considering CAI's have concerns with water flooding the Injen...so far as I know that's not been a problem with Injen CAI owners driving through storms or large puddles of water. My Injen CAI looks good, sounds good....I'm happy!
I agree with you that Injen has a better design for the CAI allowing cooler more oxygenated air in...but I was worried about the water issue. When it rains here in TX, it's virtual lakes everywhere.. And I plan on getting a drop kit... Which would bring that CAI closer to the ground. That is my only concern.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
#3. YOUR FREAKING KIDDING ME!? I had NO idea that the V8 had more cylinders than the V6 and that AM performance mods are different and produce different results! OH YEAH.. I forgot, I have a ****** and tits, there's no way in hell I would have known that.

Can you FEEL the sarcasm!?
My post was referring to common sense not if you are man or a woman, i don't judge people based on that...and yea I learned sarcasm first then English.

As for your concerns on how low it sits to the ground, scrming in Detroit hadn't had many issues up there in the silly weather that the Lakes had. I know there are a couple guys in the NE that use it on Camaros and other cars and haven't had any issues. They all also had the hydro shield on. The filter also sits way too deep inside the front bumper to be hit directly with water. Only way I see that happening is if you submerge your car in atleast 3-4 ft of water even after dropping your car. I doubt that will happen much.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable

Last edited by Blade; 06-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
My post was referring to common sense not if you are man or a woman, i don't judge people based on that...and yea I learned sarcasm first then English.

As for your concerns on how low it sits to the ground, scrming in Detroit hadn't had many issues up there in the silly weather that the Lakes had. I know there are a couple guys in the NE that use it on Camaros and other cars and haven't had any issues. They all also had the hydro shield on. The filter also sits way too deep inside the front bumper to be hit directly with water. Only way I see that happening is if you submerge your car in atleast 3-4 ft of water even after dropping your car. I doubt that will happen much.
I hear what you are saying about the resistance to water intake with the Injen..it still concerns me abit. Doesn't take much water sucking into that CAI and your engine is practically toast. I appreciate all the input.

So, in essence what your saying is that I am lacking of common sense? If anything I am weighing all options before making a solid purchase on one or the other, rather than impulsively buying whatever makes my cookie tickle...sounds like common sense to me..just sayin.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #21
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
All this female anatomy and car talk is turning me on... I'm going to go watch Gone in 60 Seconds... lol
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #22
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Good choice!

Roto - Fab not only has a first class product, but their customer service is the best!

I've got one on my SS and I it!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #23
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Personally, I live right by the river here in NJ, and when it rains it's not uncommon to well...have that river pass right through town, basically.

We get some pretty crazy rain here too. That all said, even without a hydro filter, the injen on my Cobalt SS doesn't suck a drop...and it's lower than where my camaro's injen filter sits by a couple inches, and realistically is less protected too. The sound is great (even on the 4 banger, the injen deepened the exhaust note and made a great "sucking" sound with every stomp of the pedal) and the performance is noticeable.

Still, I can definitely understand your concerns on the matter, and in the end if the rotofab can live up to it's claims, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even if it doesn't pull off what the Injen does, you'll have peace of mind. Besides, it's not likely you'd notice just an extra couple horsepower anyhow.

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #24
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfkotaro View Post
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Personally, I live right by the river here in NJ, and when it rains it's not uncommon to well...have that river pass right through town, basically.

We get some pretty crazy rain here too. That all said, even without a hydro filter, the injen on my Cobalt SS doesn't suck a drop...and it's lower than where my camaro's injen filter sits by a couple inches, and realistically is less protected too. The sound is great (even on the 4 banger, the injen deepened the exhaust note and made a great "sucking" sound with every stomp of the pedal) and the performance is noticeable.

Still, I can definitely understand your concerns on the matter, and in the end if the rotofab can live up to it's claims, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even if it doesn't pull off what the Injen does, you'll have peace of mind. Besides, it's not likely you'd notice just an extra couple horsepower anyhow.
I think you hit the nail on the head.. The peace of mind certainly outweighs the fractional difference in gains between the two CAI's. Although, without jumping the gun..we gotta see what ROTO FAB is able to produce with their V6 CAI. Like you, when it rains here my front drive turns into a river fit for white water rafting! I'm not knocking the Injen, it's an incredible piece of engineering. My baby brother has one on his Celica and it's pretty amazing. I just want to cross all my T's and dot all my i's before taking the peverbial "suck air" choice.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #25
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
All this female anatomy and car talk is turning me on... I'm going to go watch Gone in 60 Seconds... lol
LOL! Great movie! You have to excuse all my feminine banter.. (TMI, I know), but I think the PMS is in 6th gear right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #26
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
The actual filter sits at the height of the bottom of your door opening. In order to submerge the filter in water you have to also take the risk of allowing water in your car. Yeah, the door gasket is designed to prevent this but do you really want to test it? I live in Southeastern Louisiana rain is often bad here also just like our neighbor to west gets. Not a concern with water getting in. I have checked twice just out of curiosity and had no evidence of water hitting the hydroshield.

I think you are correct waiting to see the Roto-Fab product. But i wouldn't make a decision based on fear of water getting into the Injen.

Would be kinda silly of someone to drive their car into that deep of water whether they have a CAI or not.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
Pumpkin1LT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankind View Post
The actual filter sits at the height of the bottom of your door opening. In order to submerge the filter in water you have to also take the risk of allowing water in your car. Yeah, the door gasket is designed to prevent this but do you really want to test it? I live in Southeastern Louisiana rain is often bad here also just like our neighbor to west gets. Not a concern with water getting in. I have checked twice just out of curiosity and had no evidence of water hitting the hydroshield.

I think you are correct waiting to see the Roto-Fab product. But i wouldn't make a decision based on fear of water getting into the Injen.

Would be kinda silly of someone to drive their car into that deep of water whether they have a CAI or not.
gotcha! I'm hearing that more and more from owners with the Injen CAI..points all well taken.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post

rather than impulsively buying whatever makes my cookie tickle...
This, has me laughing so hard, this is my fourth try at typing this response!!

Oh, 6th is technically a double overdrive, so that would mean your PMS is slowing down has it can't lay down full power, but rather get better mileage.

Yeah, I know

Anyway, although I'm sure Roto-Fab will bring a quality product to market, as we all know, whatever they post as gains will need to be taken with a grain of salt. Someone will have to throw it on a car and a dyno and show the world that it does indeed work, even if it doesn't produce advertised gains. Just giving the v6 world another option that works will be worth tons IMHO> Hopefully, Jannetty will get one for their test!

As far as the Injen sucking up water, not happening. I've driven through some craptastic weather, raining hard enough that visibility was the hood! Not a drop. I don't even worry about it in the rain anymore, I do slow down for large puddles, as anyone with common sense would, but otherwise, it's as if any other intake is on the car.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what Roto-Fab comes out with. Also, after some of your previous remarks, lol, I can;t wait to see what you put out (pun intended)