Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
bowtie22

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
V6 Camaro

Hi everyone, I'm a new member to the camaro5 forum. I'm interested in buying a new 2011 V6 Camaro. I am aware that the SS Camaro V8 is a faster and more powerful powerplant. However, at the present moment, I like the V6. As a result, I would like to know whether the 3.6L Direct Injection engine is reliable? I heard from various individuals that I ought to stay away from the V6 because it has had various mechanical issues, primarily the bearings. I'm wondering if any current V6 owners have experienced similar or other issues with this particular vehicle. Finally, what are the pros and cons between the manual and automatic transmissions of the V6 Camaro? (Personally, I'm leaning towards the manual 6 speed). Furthermore, are they (transmissions) mechanically sound or are they problematic? I'll be looking forward to hearing your views and concerns about the V6 Camaro. Your input would be deeply appreciated. Cheers!
bowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Iv had m
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I've had mine for awile. Mine runs great no prob so far and I also have the 6speed. All I've got to say is this is a very fun car to drive. I haven't heard alot of prob with the motor.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Only have about 9k on my Camaro so far, but it's never given me any issues what so ever. Some people have had an issue where the Manual 6speed doesn't like to go into 2nd, but personally I've never had the problem. Love my car. Only "common mechanical" problem I know of involves the timing chain, but they remedied that in the later 2010's so the 2011 would be fine. That, and to the best of my knowledge, the timing chain was only ever a problem for those who went more than 5k miles between oil changes and\or weren't using a quality full synthetic like Mobil 1.

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Mcnamee

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy & '87 Monte SS
Ive got 8000 km on my car and no problems, except for my steering wheel controls didn't work because the coil went lol but problems like that can happen with any car, was just a bad part.

I am a apprentice tech at a gm dealer and we have had 0 Camaro's come in with major problems like chains, transmissions, bearings etc, and we have one of the top dealers in the area, so I figure we would have seen one by now, I'd go with the manual personally, Ive driven both and the v6 is much more responsive to the stick, Ive had the manual have an issue once shifting at high rpms, but I haven't had it happen since. Just test drive both, also if you are planning to modify at all, the manual shares the same rear end as the ss manual so you have a lot more gear options over the auto.

I love the car though, I wish I could have afforded the v8 but this v6 is no dog, still very fun car to drive!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
yellowlightning2009

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I got 17,000km on mine and not a hitch with it yet loves the car, wanted the ss too but wanted more than a new car so bought a new yamaha grizzly 550 fi the same month as the camaro ahaha
yellowlightning2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnamee View Post
Ive got 8000 km on my car and no problems, except for my steering wheel controls didn't work because the coil went lol but problems like that can happen with any car, was just a bad part.

I am a apprentice tech at a gm dealer and we have had 0 Camaro's come in with major problems like chains, transmissions, bearings etc, and we have one of the top dealers in the area, so I figure we would have seen one by now, I'd go with the manual personally, Ive driven both and the v6 is much more responsive to the stick, Ive had the manual have an issue once shifting at high rpms, but I haven't had it happen since. Just test drive both, also if you are planning to modify at all, the manual shares the same rear end as the ss manual so you have a lot more gear options over the auto.

I love the car though, I wish I could have afforded the v8 but this v6 is no dog, still very fun car to drive!
totally agree with this post.
Have fun test driving, and pick what works for you.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
no camaros in the shop here either...one v8 came in..the customer complained of the car shaking a bit at idle....anyone know a 6.2L v8 that doesnt shake at idle? its a beast waiting to be unleashed...idiot....other than stupid people...not one problem camaro...just routine maintenence...which it seems most are choosing to do themselves or at other shops (me included)

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
BTW..the only way id get rid of my camaro is if i could trade even keel for a Lambo or Ferrari...so since that isnt happening...my car isnt going anywhere!

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The LLT is a proven engine used by Cadillac in it's CTS and others. If you do a google you will find that the engine has a great weight to torque ratio and there really are very few problems. I have a V6 coupe and have ordered a V6 vert also. The performance is really on par with my 69 V8 SS vert when stock.
I love the V8 but the V6 gives me everything I want in this car !
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
I've had mine since June of last year, now have a bit over 8600 trouble-free miles. The V6 has more than enough power for me, and the M6 transmission is great too.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The V8s have had far more trouble than the V6s. Of course, that could be because there simply are more V8s than V6s currently...mine hasn't had any mechanical issues at all.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Just shy of 15,000 miles, daily driver. Had since August and had no issues except for wanting to take the long way home at night!
6 spd manual..
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
21K trouble free miles. Methinks someone tried to scare you into a V8. These are great engines.