Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
v6john and/or Other Injen users...

Hi guys,

Hopefully Scrming or other Injen CAI users can chime in on this. Today two of my Friends from the STI club came to visit me. One of them came to check out my Camaro... eitherway, we talked outside for about 4 hours... about cars and such.. and I talked to them about me getting the Injen CAI. Here's the kicker... they told me "NO NO NO".. "you'll lose Torque unless you tune".

Is that true guys? I looked on the Dyno you guys posted on Injen, there doesn't seem to be torque loss. They said they had experience with upgrading their CAI, they loose torque but GAIN horsepower. Their STI's are hella quick... for those who haven't been in one, TORQUE monsters... but they said you lose the "NAIL YOU INTO YOUR SEAT" torque...

So I ask you guys... Is this true? Did you notice this difference? If you think they are right... then would getting Exhausts, headers, and a tune fix this issue?

Sorry for all the questions... but I was REALLY ready to pull the trigger on the Injen... and this new info is setting me back.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Here is your proof to the contrary. Scrming's injen vs stock dyno.
Attached Images

ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
I highly doubt you can improve anything with any cai other than one that can draw cooler air compared to the stock box. The rest of the ingredients seem fruitless on this motor.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
First you can't compare 2 entirely different cars. Different engineering and displacement and ECMs between the Subaru and Camaro. Now is it true that a tune will help your car after installing the Injen CAI......yes, but that is true for any CAI upgrade you do. Each CAI will create a different a/f mixture and you want to make sure you are using the best ratio, so a tune helps you do that.

Is it true that you will lose power when you install the Injen...........no, none of the independent dynos have experienced this.

I am not saying your friends are full of crap, but I just want to point out, you are talking about 2 cars who couldn't be more different in design, weight and engines.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Send this graph to youre friend.

Plus totally different engines.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Yeah ROD, I told them that I SWORE i saw a dyno graph that showed NO dipping into the Torque... but they said "Dynos arent accurate". I didn't really DEBATE with them, because they have been into cars a lot longer than I have. But, I believe Dynos have to be accurate to a certain extent... the numbers might influx, but the Ratios should stay the same more or less.

Also, thanks for not bashing my friends, appreciate it LOL... But yeah, I agree with you guys. Different engine reacts different. But what about FEELING the Nailing? You guys with Injens, does it FEEL torquey? do you FEEL you lose torque? Toss away the numbers for a sec, I want to know the feeling =P
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Yeah ROD, I told them that I SWORE i saw a dyno graph that showed NO dipping into the Torque... but they said "Dynos arent accurate". I didn't really DEBATE with them, because they have been into cars a lot longer than I have. But, I believe Dynos have to be accurate to a certain extent... the numbers might influx, but the Ratios should stay the same more or less.

Also, thanks for not bashing my friends, appreciate it LOL... But yeah, I agree with you guys. Different engine reacts different. But what about FEELING the Nailing? You guys with Injens, does it FEEL torquey? do you FEEL you lose torque? Toss away the numbers for a sec, I want to know the feeling =P
What year are their STI's? Modded or stock? Have you raced them?
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
I've noticed that after I had the Injen installed it seems like there is more torque. When it was stock it was hard to get the tire to chirp from a dead stop when I floored it with TC on. Now I can get them to chirp no problem. I also added the Flowmaster axle back at the same time as the Injen so I'm not sure what just the Injen will do though.
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
What year are their STI's? Modded or stock? Have you raced them?
One is 2010, and the other is 2007 Limited Edition. 325HP on the Limited edition, and 305 on the 2010 i think. The 2010 isn't modded... only Sways and Strut tower. The 07 has Custom axleback, Lowered... no other mods... I would say very minimal Modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm4192 View Post
I've noticed that after I had the Injen installed it seems like there is more torque. When it was stock it was hard to get the tire to chirp from a dead stop when I floored it with TC on. Now I can get them to chirp no problem. I also added the Flowmaster axle back at the same time as the Injen so I'm not sure what just the Injen will do though.
I see... I'm pretty sure if you feel more torque, more of it would be coming from the Injen. But thanks for the info. I should really sit in a Camaro with an injen LOL...
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
And that is not even a fair comparison! That's my MODIFIED stock intake (air silencer removed and IAT relocation). So a true 100% stock vs the Injen would have shown even better results for the Injen!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
And that is not even a fair comparison! That's my MODIFIED stock intake (air silencer removed and IAT relocation). So a true 100% stock vs the Injen would have shown even better results for the Injen!
+1
Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
I did the FM AT at the same time i did my Injen. Definately felt better. maybe a combo of the two but certainly didn't lose anything. And my car does not have a tune.

The deal with it losing torque on their cars may be a valid concern for them. It isn't with your Camaro though.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I had a 01 subaru legacy GT that I put in a WRX engine and drive train ( yes this was tuned, kind of had too). I had an Injen intake on it and it surely did not decrease the torque. I then bought a Scion TC with the super charger in 06 and put an Injen intake on it which showed a decent increase in torque (not tuned). This was the reason I put one on my camaro. Your buddies don't know what they are missing !
Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

Drives: BLACK CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to MIDNIGHTANGEL Send a message via Yahoo to MIDNIGHTANGEL
You get more torque simple as that I just installed mine yesterday and now from a dead start my nose will dip upward before it wouldnt NOW ITS A GO! Its kool cuz it sounds like it Sucks up all the air in a ft diameter of the filter "SWUUUUP!"