Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
BMR strut tower brace

has anyone seen this new part number STB020 BMW tower brace? I cant really tell if it fits the ZL1 or not. Anyone with any insight? thanks in advance!
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
I'm getting ready to buy it myself and try. I exchanged e-mail with BMR and they offered to take it back if it doesn't, but on their website claim that it fits ZL1 6gen. Of course, I was hoping the same to see if anybody was already tried it.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
let us know the results. I checked online and found no pics of a ZL1 with a strut tower brace installed.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It certainly does fir the ZL1. The arc of the bar is about a 1/4" off the outer edge of the supercharger housing, but there are no fitment issues.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
BMR Suspension

Here are some pictures
Attached Images

BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
It certainly does fir the ZL1. The arc of the bar is about a 1/4" off the outer edge of the supercharger housing, but there are no fitment issues.
awesome! ordered today!!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
One inch by 2 inch stainless steel; wow, that must be heavy. I wonder how much that affects center of gravity and front/rear weight distribution...? Or is this a hollow tube? Weight's not shown on website.

I'd love to have one, but wouldn't aluminum work, too?

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
One inch by 2 inch stainless steel; wow, that must be heavy. I wonder how much that affects center of gravity and front/rear weight distribution...? Or is this a hollow tube? Weight's not shown on website.

I'd love to have one, but wouldn't aluminum work, too?

Tara
lets just say for conversation the whole piece weighs 15 pounds. as evenly distributed as it is, it would not effect anything and arguably the added stiffness in the front of the chassis would make up for any weight distribution disturbance.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Take a look at OEM-designed strut braces and in almost all cases (especially where an engineer was asked), they are SOLID pieces, generally steel in construction.

Why steel? Well, for one it's cost. However, and this is the other thing that bugs me about most aftermarket braces - Aluminum in this application has ZERO advantage of steel. Why?

Aluminum and steel have the same stiffness, given the same amount of weight. In other words, if you go to the hardware store and pick up a piece of 1" bar aluminum, you'll find that while it is much lighter than the same size piece of steel.... it's a great deal flimsier.

It will take the same amount of weight in aluminum (and thus a bigger bar) to provide the same amount of stiffness as the equivilant weight steel. Aluminum strut braces, floor bars, fender braces, and so on - would have to be unreasonably large to add any real stiffness.

So, yes, you absolutely should try to find a SOLID, steel-based brace whenever possible, or have one constructed for you.

Aluminum strut braces are okay, as long as they are bulky and solid with no hinge - they're better than nothing, but I'll take a steel version any day over the aluminum.

Excerpt fromhttp://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/09/getting-stiff-strut-bars-and-braces/
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
@BMR, will this clear a Whipple 2.9? Sad to see it doesnt support a maggie, as that made me halt my purchase as it could be a future buy for me.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
BMR - Is 1/4" enough clearance under the hardest acceleration and maximum motor torque travel and not hit the brace? Just asking. At rest, all looks good, just covering all of the bases.

Doesn't state the weight, but it states "tubing" which makes me believe that it's hollow. I rather have hollow as it's been proven that hollow is stronger than what most people give it credit. Being that it's square, this helps allot with strength vs round tubing. We use both types of tubing everyday in our manufacturing processes and I can tell you square is very strong.

From BMR site -
"Manufactured from 1-x2-inch stainless steel tubing"

Before ordering, just want to make sure my question on top is answered. Hate for it to hit under full acceleration....
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
BMR - Is 1/4" enough clearance under the hardest acceleration and maximum motor torque travel and not hit the brace? Just asking. At rest, all looks good, just covering all of the bases.

Doesn't state the weight, but it states "tubing" which makes me believe that it's hollow. I rather have hollow as it's been proven that hollow is stronger than what most people give it credit. Being that it's square, this helps allot with strength vs round tubing. We use both types of tubing everyday in our manufacturing processes and I can tell you square is very strong.

From BMR site -
"Manufactured from 1-x2-inch stainless steel tubing"

Before ordering, just want to make sure my question on top is answered. Hate for it to hit under full acceleration....
when i get mine ill take it apart and let you know because mine is going to powder coat so ill see what it is.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
FASTNUF

Sounds good! I' going to order anyway and I'm also going to change the color from natural to probably black. Trying to stay within my color scheme.
I did find on another vendor site that it's claimed to be 12lbs...so it's more than likely hollow tubing, which I'm fine with either way. I'm not worried about the construction, BMR builds good stuff....I was just double checking if it could hit under full acceleration or not.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
BMR Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
@BMR, will this clear a Whipple 2.9? Sad to see it doesnt support a maggie, as that made me halt my purchase as it could be a future buy for me.
Sorry, but no it does not clear the Whipple either.
BMR Tech is offline   Reply With Quote