Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Inferno Orange SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
3rd gear grind ? Only 3000km

Just bought a new ls3 with 6spd manual been waiting for the engine an transmission to break in, been 3000km every gear really seemed to smooth out except 3rd it feels like it catches or even possible a grind. Should I wait long flush the fluid and hope it smooths out or bring the car into the dealer and bring up the problem. THe thing that bothers me is I really havnt been overly hard on the car yet and I have actually never ground third gear...
Inferno Orange SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I have the same problem. But my problem is with 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and reverse. It may sound bad, but other's have reported the same issues.

2nd Gear - Mine doesnt like to go into second at slower speeds. It has popped out of gear on me a total of 3 times since May when I bought it.

3rd Gear - It doesnt like to go into 3rd smooth, you can always hear a "grind" or "scratching" noise, feeling like you are forcing it into that gear.

5th Gear - 5th is similiar to third, doesnt really bother me that much, besides that its almost impossible to match the RPMs with the gear in order to keep it from "bucking".

Reverse - Reverse is like 2nd, I find myself sometimes throwing it into reverse, taking it out, and then throwing it back into reverse to ensure it is completely in gear.

The only problem is, these issues aren't consistent. Yesterday the transmission shifted like butter in every gear. Somedays it is smooth, somedays its terrible.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Inferno Orange SS

Yah i noticed that to, its only about 60% of the time.. I can drive around all night and not noticed it at high or low rpms.. Then another day seems like no matter how slow or fast i shift or how long i hold the clutch in it hits that little snag on the way into 3rd, just a little friction that really shouldnt be there after 3000kms on a new transmission. Im thinking im gonna get the dealer to dump the transmission fluid when they do the oil, record that i reported the problem and see if its smooths out over the next little bit if not im going back i getting the issue fixed.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno Orange SS View Post
Yah i noticed that to, its only about 60% of the time.. I can drive around all night and not noticed it at high or low rpms.. Then another day seems like no matter how slow or fast i shift or how long i hold the clutch in it hits that little snag on the way into 3rd, just a little friction that really shouldnt be there after 3000kms on a new transmission. Im thinking im gonna get the dealer to dump the transmission fluid when they do the oil, record that i reported the problem and see if its smooths out over the next little bit if not im going back i getting the issue fixed.
I know a few people up here have had clutch replacements, as well as master cylinder replacements, and have changed the transmission fluid which has solved the problem. The first step would be to make sure the dealer KNOWS there is a problem, and take it from there. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
hummerman

Drives: 2010 2SS
I have this exact same issue with 3rd only.
Low rpms no issue. High rpms no issue. mid rpms has a issue.

Warrenty will cover it either way so im going to keep driving mine for a bit and take it in to get all little things i have found looked at end of season before i store it.
This is my small list of issues.

-Leather pulls out from under seat release if you havent noticed.
-Sun roof rattles like its going to explode if you have only one window open i highway.
-Passenger door drops a bit when you open door ( needs to be adjusted forsure)
-Drivers seat belt dosent retract very well.
-And the issue mentioned above of 3rd gear grind.
hummerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Inferno Orange SS

Yah mine is the same high rpm seems ok low rpm and slow shift it's alright 50% of the time but mid rpm and a regular shift seems like everytime it's grabbing something just a little snag.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Mine shifted noticeable smoother after I changed the fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax.
http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-tr...ion-fluid.html

Then I have noticed it get even smoother as a few more thousand miles have accumulated. I have driven a few much higher mileage Camaros and Corvettes and they shifted like butter. So I'm thinking the synchros work better after they have wore in a few thousand miles.

Sometimes on high RPM shifting issues, you are fanning the clutch too fast and it's really not dissengaged all the way when you grab the gear. Try a high RPM shift and deliberately make sure the clutch is all the way in, then a quick gear change, quick but not a yank, and if it still is giving an issue maybe something needs to be looked at. The first step would be to bleed any air out, dealers have a tool to do that. After that, mechanical issues with the clutch or synchros need to be addressed.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Inferno Orange SS

Will the dealer have an issue with requesting a different transmission fluid to be put in as far as warranty issues ? Also which fluid does the m6 call for gm syncro mesh ? Because I know being a Honda guy that is what we switch to when our transmission start acting up seems pretty good, but I agree royal purple has some very good products. I'm going to let the dealer know about the problem flush the fluid replace and try a few thousand more kms see if it smooths out. Thanks for the input much appreciated everyone.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Yep, former Honda guy here too - I switched to GM synchromesh and I thought that was awesome for our trannies. It's a major surprise that my SS is also notchy as hell and has grinded once.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Inferno Orange SS

Yup, I am really hoping this transmission smooths out or Im going to be quite disappointed with this car, I never expected an amazing feel from a Camaro but having a grind on a brand new transmission is really hurting my feelings about the car, you buy a 6speed because you want that feeling of control and enjoyment but everytime you pull though the gears you regret the purchase... not good, ill stay positive tho and hope for the best outcome.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno Orange SS View Post
Will the dealer have an issue with requesting a different transmission fluid to be put in as far as warranty issues ? Also which fluid does the m6 call for gm syncro mesh ? Because I know being a Honda guy that is what we switch to when our transmission start acting up seems pretty good, but I agree royal purple has some very good products. I'm going to let the dealer know about the problem flush the fluid replace and try a few thousand more kms see if it smooths out. Thanks for the input much appreciated everyone.

You'll get different reactions from different dealers, just going to have to ask and see what they say. I did mine myself on jackstands. You'll need a small hand pump from an auto parts store. Or you can use a funnel and long hose from above.

If your Service Manager is a performance enthusiasts and has been hanging around Corvettes, Camaros, GTOs, Vipers... they'll know the synthetic stuff like the Royal Purple is better. If they are a stick in the mud, they'll probably just say - nope we have to use this GM part # stuff.
You will find it highly recommended on some of the Corvette web sites.

I've had several Corvettes that I switched the M6 trans over to synthetic, and they all shifted better. Just have to be carefull which stuff to get, it needs to be specifically for the type of synchronizers the trans has. I know the Royal Purple Synchromax is. On RP's web site, it shows which applications it is for and the Tremec is one of them. I believe it lists Corvette, which is the same trans. It is just not technically the exact stuff listed in the owner's manual, but in my opinion - better.

If the dealer won't put it in, I'd just find a shop that you trust to put it up on hoist. It's an easy fluid change, just a drain plug and a fill plug. The fill plug is a little tough to reach. 4 qts. I found some RP Synchromax at a Napa store near me. Pricey, but worth it. About $17 a qt.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Inferno Orange SS

Well I had the transmission oil changed and continued driving, and to no surprise the transmission is still grinding into 3rd gear. Tomorrow is the big day bringing the car in going to get them to bleed the clutch and check out anything else they can to solve the problem. I will give it one more chance before i demand a new transmission... I just a little concerned about the ware on the 3rd gear syncros now after all that bad shifting.. I dont want to say ok the problem is solved after having taken so much life off the syncros.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
LS3 SS

There is two things I have come to the conclusion of that are pretty accurate with the TR-6060 in my opinion :

1. There is a RPM "Sweet spot" for some of the gears, mainly third. I tried letting the RPM's fall in different places (wasnt looking at the tachometer though, just listening to the sound of the engine), and at lower rpms, it would go into third "rough". At higher rpms with a slight delay(take it out of second, push in the clutch, wait about a second, go to third), it's almost as if the rpm's and delay open that "shiftgate" up to allow it to go into third smoothly.

2. The longer you drive the car, the smoother the transmission shifts. One day I drove all the way to another city and back, roughly 60 miles of driving. By the time I got back to the other city, and did a few stops, the transmission felt totally different from when I first started it up.

Given, with a brand new car, and such a stoutly built Tremec tranny, you "shouldn't" have to worry about stuff like this, but it's good to know that it eventually can be solved.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
grizzly44

Drives: Victory Red 2SS LS3
Well I'll add my two cents. My 2SS LS3 started grinding while going into third back in July. It had 3500 miles on it then. I'm a former GM transmission tech, and currently an ASE master tech working at a Honda dealer. The grind (in my car) is coming from a failing third gear blocking ring/ speed gear. Driving normally, all gears shift beautiful. When driven aggressively, the 2-3 up-shift (or 4-3 downshift) provokes the grind. I drove the car with the dealer's trans tech and he confirmed the failed parts I suspected before I told him my feelings. Monday morning I dropped it off and the trans is on the ground waiting for a jig used to tear down the trans. It's killing me being on the other side of the fence. I always do my own work... Hopefully it will be done by the weekend, I'll post the results of the rebuild. BTW, the clutch has always felt perfect.
grizzly44 is offline   Reply With Quote