Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
5th Track Weekend in my 1LE w/CTS-V Brakes

I ran my 5th track weekend in my 1LE this past weekend at Gingerman raceway in South Haven, MI. I am still wiped out so I will post the bullet points.
  • I ran a new PB in the 1LE of 1:44.41 That is faster than a ZL1 and GT500 Automobile Magazine test with a pro hot shoe and we are all on the same tires!
  1. Me: 1LE: 1:44.41
  2. 2012 ZL1: 1:44.53
  3. 2013 GT500: 1.45.21
It is not as fast as the 1:42.05 Mark Stielow laid down in a ZL1 during a Hot Rod Magazine test....but I will best that at a later time!

Current Performance Mods:
  • Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
  • Pedders 220032 and 220033 Sport Ryder Springs
  • Pedders Rear Camber bolts
  • CTS-V 6-piston front calipers, 2 Piece rotors. OEM Brembo/Ferodo Brake Pads, Stop-Tech 660 Brake Fluid. DIY Brake ducts.
  • 285/30/20 and 305/30/20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G2 Tires.
  • -1.6 front Camber, -0.6 rear Camber
  • Removed my strut tower brace
All of the above has been added/changed since I ran the car stock last year to the 1:47.34 bone stock last summer

Brakes: Worked as expected..I was able to brake later as expected. Wish the 1LE came stock with these!
Tires: I just wanted to fit the 305 out back to try it.
Alignment: I changed the rear alignment from -1.3 I ran last year after the spring install to the -.6 to stand them up a bit and try to get a little more rotation from the back. I was very happy with how they wore and was getting even temps across the tire.

I wore/rounded the outer edge of the left front tire. Gingerman is very hard on tires and brakes. Because I wanted even wear and didnt want to cut my weekend short I swapped front rims and ran the tires backwards part of the second day. It worked

Did the 305 cause the car to push more or do I need more camber (or both) ???? I am sure the 305 induces under-steer, but I had the same issues with the front tire outer edges last year....I am going to try an run -2.0 at the next event and see what happens.

Rear Diff: one of my biggest issues is the rear diff opening up on track and spinning the inside rear tire. Once the tire starts to spin the clutches in the diff cannot grab it until you lift. When having fun or a "battle" on track I didn't want to lift and have a friend tag me mid-corner so I would stay in it once it broke loose and leave a single black streak and a smoke screen so he could see I didn't have traction. Some native Americans came out of the woods as they thought I needed help.......Nope just a Torsen Helical diff sooner than later! I will get his in car video later.

Other Highlights:
  • Cold tires bad...(see video and pictures)
  • Todd Naperalski had the Total Performance Racing (TPR) #39 GTS Camaro SS there doing some testing. I went out behind him once......Yeah, mmmmm the car weighs 3425 with driver, it's on race rubber, has real areo, real suspension....I was there about a 1/4 lap before he was gone. I believe he said he has run 1:36s there.

Little spin on track

Playing on the wet track:

1LE vs 6.0L (swapped) C5 on race tires.

Video from Vette before he past me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=7qYSQpSh7Hk

Video from my car after:

I will post more videos later,
Matt
Attached Images

Last edited by Dropspeed; 05-07-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
SWEEEEET!!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
That spin gave me flashbacks to the season opener. Glad nothing seemed to break. Quick question for you though, I have not played with my alignment yet, but what is the factory front camber and what are we able to push and pull our way to?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
That spin gave me flashbacks to the season opener. Glad nothing seemed to break. Quick question for you though, I have not played with my alignment yet, but what is the factory front camber and what are we able to push and pull our way to?
My May 2013 built car front camber was a -1.0 at delivery....Yours should be the same. I heard the early cars had less, but nothing to support that other than hearsay. When still stock I had mine at -1.3/-1.4 and there appeared to be more adjustment available.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
It was nice to meet and talk with you Sunday. Sorry I couldn't of stuck around longer, as something unexpected came up.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
It was nice to meet and talk with you Sunday. Sorry I couldn't of stuck around longer, as something unexpected came up.
You too, I was going to offer you a ride after lunch (and the car wash) but you were gone.

Your car looked great.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Matt, that's quite impressive especially considering the few mods you've done. Simply awesome, congrats!

I've been bitten by cold tires before as well, I found it nearly impossible to drive a Viper on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in temps below 55 degrees. KRich nearly blew chunks as my passenger when I spun at Buttonwillow during a session in the 40s, LOL.

I've yet to feel the need for a brake upgrade, it may be that I don't have enough experience to know what I'm missing or that my driving style doesn't seem to need them. Thank goodness, as I'm way beyond my mod budget already, LOL. I've taken classes at Ron Fellows, and they preach slow in fast out, so my style is easier than some on brakes. I've been avoiding threshold braking to preserve the tires and brakes and I tend to be smoother and turn faster laps that way. That said, I'll be running Hoosiers this weekend for the first time, and with my aero I may soon find my brakes' limitations. I'm running stock brakes with stainless lines, Motul 600 fluid and Hawk HP+ pads.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
I ran this setup at Sebring this weekend with the Hawk DTC-30 and HP Plus in the back. I swapped my Pads back to the hawk ceramics and could not believe that after one track day the pads have half of there life gone!! I am thinking I need some cooling!!! I tend to brake very late and she is a big girl!!!!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
......I tend to brake very late and she is a big girl!!!!
Now that's funny
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Congrats on the PB! Glad your "off" wasn't too bad. Good thing you had your new JDP tow hook!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Hey Matt. What app is that on your phone? I might want to download that before my next track day.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Awesome, what you couldn't do with a little more power and a better diff. About that diff Amazon is having a sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Torsen-Differe...n+differential

Also nice to see you were able to make good use of those new brakes and your tow hook. Way to represent! Pedders did have a specific rear sway bar for the 1LE. A shame they are not still around.

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-15-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Matt, thats an awesome laptime man, crazy fast. Why in the world did u take the strut bar off!?!? U thinking less stiff more grip?

Now about that tow hook.... Where do I get one and send pocs of it mounted. You got a rear one?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Matt, thats an awesome laptime man, crazy fast. Why in the world did u take the strut bar off!?!? U thinking less stiff more grip?

Now about that tow hook.... Where do I get one and send pocs of it mounted. You got a rear one?

JDP Motorsports sells a tow hook, mounts to the bumper support...