Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Looking for a new shifter

I have an aftermarket hurst right now and pretty much hate it, even with the good bushings. Feels like I have to break through a wall when I get on it and try to shift fast. I feel like if i go with less throw reduction it would help that leverage wise. Kinda thinking I might go with a zl1 shifter. I bought the car with the hurst so never got to see how the stock shifter felt but I drove a friend's c6 corvette with a stock shifter and I felt great compared to the hurst. That smooth and easy shift with a slightly shorter throw is what I'm looking for. I've obviously heard and read great things about the mgw but being after market with a shorter throw than the stock ss and zl1 I feel it might be a little more notchy or clicky. Any suggestions?
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Subscribed for the info and discussion.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've heard it said a million times that bar none the best shifter for our cars is the ZL1 shifter also used in the 1LE and Z/28. I love mine. That being said I have to believe that there is something better in the aftermarket.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Dbunch9

My only problem is, I'm a small Guy and not very strong so I really gotta rip back the hurst for the 1-2 shift. It's hard so I feel it slows me down more than if I had an effortless but longer shift. I have no doubt the mgw is great, but I'm afraid I'll spend 400 bucks on it and although it's very direct, itll be clunky and I'll have to fight through each clunk of each gear
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
My only problem is, I'm a small Guy and not very strong so I really gotta rip back the hurst for the 1-2 shift. It's hard so I feel it slows me down more than if I had an effortless but longer shift. I have no doubt the mgw is great, but I'm afraid I'll spend 400 bucks on it and although it's very direct, itll be clunky and I'll have to fight through each clunk of each gear
I'll openly admit that my stock shifter (1LE) prefers I drive in "Gorilla Mode". When I try to shift soft it'll make me miss a gear. I'm happy with it but I've never tried any of the aftermarket shifters. Most say the Hurst sucks. Maybe try changing/upgrading the bushings first.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I've heard it said a million times that bar none the best shifter for our cars is the ZL1 shifter also used in the 1LE and Z/28. I love mine. That being said I have to believe that there is something better in the aftermarket.

Funny I thought I read that the 1le, zl1 and z28 all used Hurst short through shifters .

And from my reading this is the shifter you all want . https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/camaros/81
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Dbunch9

Yeah I've read that too. I also read they stopped having hurst make them after 2012 but I don't know how accurate that is. I really wish I could take a camaro around the block with both shifters in it lol
Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Firefighter

My understanding is that it's a different shifter from the Hurst. Also there's two different Hurst shifters too. The stock one which it's pretty much considered dismal and the aftermarket Hurst which is supposedly better. Still the ZL1 is supposedly better.

I'm not saying the MGW isn't better than the ZL1. I probably should have said the best stock shifter.

Given they are both about $350 of i was to pick I'd probably do the MGW.

Saying that, I doubt I'd drop my ZL1 for an MGW. I have a bunch of other things to buy for this car before I'd upgrade the shifter.

Also the ZL1 style shifter just looks great. I wonder if the MGW will take a ZL1 knob. I doubt it's weighted though...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Funny I thought I read that the 1le, zl1 and z28 all used Hurst short through shifters .

And from my reading this is the shifter you all want . https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/camaros/81
Have you driven a ZL1 shifter to compare to the MGW? Curious what your impression is.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Dbunch9

I haven't driven either, only my aftermarket hurst. That's why I'm in such a pickle lol going off what I've read
Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #11
Dbunch9

Quote:
I'll openly admit that my stock shifter (1LE) prefers I drive in "Gorilla Mode". When I try to shift soft it'll make me miss a gear. I'm happy with it but I've never tried any of the aftermarket shifters. Most say the Hurst sucks. Maybe try changing/upgrading the bushings first.

Do you think maybe every shifter is gonna require gorilla mode? Lol maybe it's just how the trans is built?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 AM   #12
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
Do you think maybe every shifter is gonna require gorilla mode? Lol maybe it's just how the trans is built?
There have been a number of comlaits about the notchyness of this trans. I've always chalked it up to Race Car... lol You got to understand this car isn't going to shift like an import.

Traditionally an aftermarket shifter with a weighted knob helps immensely.

Maybe give MGW a call.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Have you driven a ZL1 shifter to compare to the MGW? Curious what your impression is.

No sorry I haven't .
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
No sorry I haven't .
I don't know how often guys with this shifter (ZL1) change them. Also IDK how often they let people drive their cars... lol

I was paying extra attention to my shifter today while driving. I'm not sure how much more I'd want.