Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Throttle controller update

I've really been enjoying my car over the past week and just felt the need to get on the forum and mention that a lot of that enjoyment comes from the throttle controller which has been heavily debated in the past. I'm now on summer season #3 with the mods in my sig and haven't had a single issue with it. I have been driving with it set to setting #9 and #7 most of the summer and it's a blast! In fact, I cannot turn it off without feeling like my car is a sluggish P.O.S. unless I mash the pedal to the floor. And even then, it doesn't respond as quick or feel the same no matter what the nay-sayers claim.

I don't care if people are going to hate on this post as they typically do. I know people have had legit issues with the controller but it seems to stem from a certain mix of mods not playing nice with the controller. This was a very in-expensive addition to my car and like I said, I can't live without it now. Sure, you can get a similar feel with other true power mods, but I don't want to throw any more $$ into my car.

Thanks for listening. Enjoy the rest of the season everyone!

J
Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
If you don't want the drama, sometimes it's best just not to post about it. As long as your happy that's all that really matters.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Don't sweat the drama, just be thick skinned, however......

9! Holy crap... I set mine on 3-5 and it tries to kill me! But I do have 3:91 gears and a bit more HP than norm. There probably isn't a mod/device that has more mixed opinions and criticism than the VTC. Most likely because it's a fun factor rather than a HP factor and it doesn't mix well with some after market TB's.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I love mine!
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
What does a throttle controller cost? I ported throttle body isn't very expensive, and will make for very quick throttle response, and potentially some additional flow and power. Just some counterpoint for the discussion.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
What does a throttle controller cost? I ported throttle body isn't very expensive, and will make for very quick throttle response, and potentially some additional flow and power. Just some counterpoint for the discussion.
$179, you can pick up used ones for $100. The VTC has much quicker response on the highest setting so it really boils down to personal preference. There is absolutely no viable argument for one over the other.

I like to set it to zero for putting around town, everything is smooth as glass. When you turn it up, $hit gets real.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Ported throttle body has nothing on the VTC. We've had ours for over 3 years as well. Best mod for the money, easy.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Ported throttle body has nothing on the VTC. We've had ours for over 3 years as well. Best mod for the money, easy.
Have you seen the new one?
Old 08-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Right - but a ported throttle body, just as a VTC, has a profound effect on the throttle response. For a very similar price, there is a good counter-point that a ported throttle body will also give a consumer the response they're looking for, with the added benefit of potentially a few additional ponies. The VTC is adjustable, which is nice. Not bashing, just offering a differing option that accomplishes the same goals for the same cost.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Right - but a ported throttle body, just as a VTC, has a profound effect on the throttle response. For a very similar price, there is a good counter-point that a ported throttle body will also give a consumer the response they're looking for, with the added benefit of potentially a few additional ponies. The VTC is adjustable, which is nice. Not bashing, just offering a differing option that accomplishes the same goals for the same cost.
I don't think anyone thinks that's bashing. Very good points. I will tell you this. Bo White and I worked extensively with two (or three, I can't remember now) TB's and two VTC's to find out that they do no not work well together. That's not the case for everyone, but it seemed to be a very common occurrence.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Next month will be 3yrs since I installed mine. Can't imagine not having it. I have a PTB (installed before the VTC) and run SP5 all the time and never had a single problem. I think the vast majority of problems are due to 1) improper install calibration 2) changing SP settings while driving especially with auto trans
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Next month will be 3yrs since I installed mine. Can't imagine not having it. I have a PTB (installed before the VTC) and run SP5 all the time and never had a single problem. I think the vast majority of problems are due to 1) improper install calibration 2) changing SP settings while driving especially with auto trans
We tried everything. Wasn't a big deal. The VTC is just FUN! I want one of the new ones. Ahmed will swap it out for $129 (which is fair) but I'm not gonna bother.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
seems to be a roll of the dice... when it works right everybody seems to like it. but lots of people been having problems... sometimes take awhile to show up.

Any preference on which throttle body to buy???

Last edited by maddoggyusa; 08-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Weve gotten some good feedback on the JMS Pedalmax. Anyone using it on here?

gabe
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
I had both VTC and PTB and never had issues. however, the VTC was messing with us when it came time to Dyno tuning on NAWZ... thats the only reason i ditched it.

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote