Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #29
itsanlfx

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Based on all of your descriptions on when the sound is present and when it goes away, my guess is that others are right on it being a heat shield making contact with exhaust components.

It is definitely not a motor mount... that would make a clunking sound and you would feel it when you accelerate. A simple way to check the motor mounts is to put the car in drive with the hood open and have someone watch you engine. With your foot on the brake, rev the engine to 1500-2000 rpms. The engine will lift about 2-3 inches up on the drivers side due to the rotation of the engine.

Also, like qcman said, pop the hood to listen as well. You might find a pulley going bad or pinpoint the culprit visually if it happens to be under the hood.

Let us know when you find it. And if you don't, just turn up the radio a little louder so it doesnt bother you.
Appreciate your input guys.
I'll see what I can find out, might blindly go ahead with an exhaust / heatshield repair.
Will let you guys know fam
itsanlfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #30
itsanlfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Had the same noise myself on my 2012 - dealer traced it to the heatshield on the cat - replaced the entire assembly - poof! sound gone. They used cheap rivets
Hey buddy,
You mind telling me how much that costed and whether or not you mean just the heat shield assembly or the actual "header cat pipe " also?
Appreciate it fam
Old 05-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #31
Shan

Drives: 2013 ls Camaro
Had the situation it drove me crazy but a lot of people said It sounds normal so I finally had a chance to hear someone else Camaro it sounded the same! Lol but afterwards once it warms up it does get a lil quieter
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #32
itsanlfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Had the situation it drove me crazy but a lot of people said It sounds normal so I finally had a chance to hear someone else Camaro it sounded the same! Lol but afterwards once it warms up it does get a lil quieter
Sounds okay until it's warmed up actually, it doesn't do it on cold start except rarely.
Yeah it's pretty annoying and I can't believe there's no solution or just a generally buzz about it.
Drive and enjoy bud
Old 05-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
itsanlfx

Fellas!
Anyone who has had the same problem as me like Shan, it's the damned heat shield!
Drive it for 100km till I figured that straight highway driving is the best trigger. Guys came out the dealership with stethoscopes and I held it in brake and ebrake (can't be too safe) in drive with an open hood. They then took it in and figured out the passenger side cat pipe heatshield was the source and bent it out of contact with I'm guessing another heatshield?
Anyways, HEATSHIELD HEATSHIELD HEATSHIELD.
check out my video posted at the beginning of the thread, follow through to my YouTube channel and watch the other video. If your sound matches and your case scenario too, here you guys go.

Huge thanks to all who have been with me throughout the thread. And if you advised heatshield, right on

Tags
borla, camaro, lfx, problem, rattle