Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
iScottyyyyyyyyy

Drives: 2011
How to properly prep engine cover for painting? need tips please!

Last edited by iScottyyyyyyyyy; 03-02-2021 at 05:49 AM.
iScottyyyyyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Use dish detergent, scrub with a toothbrush. Let dry really good. If you sand it, I did not, the texture will end up uneven, unless you are REALLY good at it!. Wash with alcohol, let dry. Prime and paint. I used regular Krylon. It doesn't get hot enough under the hood to cause a problem. Had mine painted for over a year, in AZ heat, and it looks like new. I masked it and used Yellow and Silver. masking is a bitch with all the corners and crevices.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
so no sanding at all? thats what i was wondering because its already a rough surface to start. no sanding between coats either?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
First step is to de-wax and de-grease!!! Make it super clean in ALL the nooks and cranies. From hear on you'll get allot of different answers. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

I did no sanding, and Keep RT is right. Some use degreaser, I used dish soap. Whichever you use, do it right. Better than getting fish-eyes and having to do it again, and again! I would have sanded to make it smooth and shiny, but wasn't interested in going to all that work. So far, no chips and no fading. I did 3 coats, and no clear coat.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
camaroitalia

can u post a pic for me please
Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
can u post a pic for me please
I have tried, repeatedly, to post pictures to this site, and have never been sucessful. Sorry about that! I am not a computer geek, and just haven't been able to get it done. The center part is yellow, and the outer parts are silver. Masked off the bow-tie circle, so it is still black. Looks just like the ones you can buy for $150-$200. Cost me $15. Good luck. If you mess it up, no big deal, just use brake cleaner and the paint comes right off...Just wash it right after so it doesn't get to the plastic cover.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottyyyyyyyyy View Post
sounds good! ill probably put in 1 clear coat jussssssssssst to be safe! thank you!
if you are going to use silver, like I did, you might find that the clear coat changes the coloring. Maybe try a small sample on another piece of plastic to see if you like it.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
camaroitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
I have tried, repeatedly, to post pictures to this site, and have never been sucessful. Sorry about that! I am not a computer geek, and just haven't been able to get it done. The center part is yellow, and the outer parts are silver. Masked off the bow-tie circle, so it is still black. Looks just like the ones you can buy for $150-$200. Cost me $15. Good luck. If you mess it up, no big deal, just use brake cleaner and the paint comes right off...Just wash it right after so it doesn't get to the plastic cover.
ok thanks anyway man. i may give this a shot this week...
Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Clear coat is for more than just shine. It usually is used as a protectent. I'd do no less than 2 coats. Even though it is under the hood there will be petroleum byproducts and other " ROAD CRAP" that base coats aren't meant to handle. Clear coats also enhance the color of the base paint. On this one the orange is the first color laid down. Then I used "fine line" tape to mask off the narrow orange boarder and blue for the larger orange area. Then black over the orange. Two coats of each color. Then ever so lightly went over with 1200 grit on the boarders to smooth them out. Then the clear. smooths it right out. Best of luck.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
Clear coat is for more than just shine. It usually is used as a protectent. I'd do no less than 2 coats. Even though it is under the hood there will be petroleum byproducts and other " ROAD CRAP" that base coats aren't meant to handle. Clear coats also enhance the color of the base paint. On this one the orange is the first color laid down. Then I used "fine line" tape to mask off the narrow orange boarder and blue for the larger orange area. Then black over the orange. Two coats of each color. Then ever so lightly went over with 1200 grit on the boarders to smooth them out. Then the clear. smooths it right out. Best of luck.
Looks real nice
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
I did no sanding, and Keep RT is right. Some use degreaser, I used dish soap. Whichever you use, do it right. Better than getting fish-eyes and having to do it again, and again! I would have sanded to make it smooth and shiny, but wasn't interested in going to all that work. So far, no chips and no fading. I did 3 coats, and no clear coat.
this. I used Dawn to wash it, and Krylon for Plastic, and no primer.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
You might want to buy a can of adhesion promoter too, because paint doesn't always stick well to plastic. You apply that after you've cleaned and wiped down with alcohol, before you apply primer.
Mine turned out well
Attached Images

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Fast Eddie 76

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro 2LT RS
I just did mine too. No sanding, just proper degreasing and washing with rubbing alcohol at the start. And I found that using an adhesion promoter before applying the first coat of primer helped as well. In total, 2 coats of adhesion promoter, 3 coats of primer, four coats of paint and four coats of clear.
Attached Images