Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Are ZL1 Wheels Really this Fragile?

So I have 2400 miles on my 2018 ZL1 and just the other day I noticed a vibration that seemed to come out of nowhere. Couldn't see anything obvious so I took it into the dealer to see what they could find. Turns out that my right-rear wheel is bent! No visible damage, can only see it when is spins on the wheel balancer.

Thinking back I to about when I first noticed it I recalled hitting some damage on the interstate. That must have been what did it but didn't think anything of it. I have driven my 2011 SS with Z/28 suspension and ZL1 wheels over much of the same kind of damage over the years and never had any kind of damage like that.

Anyone else had their wheels get bent on typical road damage?

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Not on a ZL1..but in atrocious land (Michigan) its not uncommon. My Wifes Hyundai picked up a similar bad vibration out of nowhere at highway speed. My guess was a pot hole had knocked a weight off. Nope, bent the wheel. No visible damage, i had to call and double check they told me the correct wheel. Sure enough, it is, not lip bent..whole wheel bent. Its not just Camaro wheels. Its anything that gets hit at the right angle under the right conditions.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Also worthy of note:

Rims with low profile tires are far more susceptible to rim damage than standard tires, particularly with potholes. Put some 4"/5" of sidewall on those rims and they'll take a lot more beating.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
z06 wheels are just as bad, absolute junk
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedraider View Post
z06 wheels are just as bad, absolute junk
Its funny you should mention this. The service advisor at the dealership told me he had another customer with a bent wheel on a z06. Although he thought he had hit a curb.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Desert Drifter

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Top quality forged wheels are $2000 each, so not an attractive solution either. Now if I could just figure out why my rear tires wear so fast....
Desert Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
.... Now if I could just figure out why my rear tires wear so fast....
Are you sure you really want to hear the answer?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
They are pretty strong, so if its bent you must have hit something pretty good
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Buzzmanb12

Drives: '17 ZL1
You can bend a rim by spinning the tires and getting a little sideways and letting off the gas, when it regains traction the car will snap back straight with the wheel still a bit sideways and put all the load into the side of the rim causing it to warp...
Buzzmanb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12 View Post
You can bend a rim by spinning the tires and getting a little sideways and letting off the gas, when it regains traction the car will snap back straight with the wheel still a bit sideways and put all the load into the side of the rim causing it to warp...

This all seems pretty pathetic to me. Shouldn’t have to wrap a car in cotton to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #11
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
This is not true, for a OEM wheel. It takes a significant impact to bend an OE wheel. The lower profile tires have less sidewall and thus stiffer, and can not cushion the load as well as a larger sidewall tires. Rubber and air are flexible and can absorb shock, as they have an affect of the overall suspension of the car. Due to this, the wheel is somewhat protected by the forgiveness of the tire.

To bend a wheel radially, you must compress the tire to the point that it can apply enough load radially to the wheel to bend it or make it untrue. To bend a wheel axially, it takes a significant side load or combination side and radial load that will deform the wheel pass its yield strength of the material. This takes a significant impact, and will not be generated solely from the friction of the tire and the road surface.. even when the traction is instantaneously applied.

Most cast wheels are not strong in material alone, that is why they are overly thick to be strong enough for OEM applications. The lighter weight wheels are thinner but use higher strength materials to create the same load rating or higher.

My guess is you hit a something hard while driving. I have been to some dynos that will use strap through the wheels to secure them to the dyno, due to low clearances. Then the straps are ratcheted down in obscure angles pulling only from the spoke of the wheel. This doesnt even cause structural damage to the wheels.

Typically potholes and other significant obstacles, as well as curbs are the most common causes of bent wheels.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
VADERZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Indiana interstate potholes have taken out 2 wheels on my Alfa, 1 VW wheel and 1 ZL1. Local shop does the repair for me, all except one Alfa wheel that was beyond repair.
VADERZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
Not true!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
If you don't mind the ride and grip trade-off, setting your tires to a slightly higher pressure can help prevent a rim from impact bends, as the tire provides a little more resistance at higher pressures.