Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 05:53 AM   #57

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsOUT View Post
You don’t really have a choice. The assembly orientation is segregated by the cab style on the 1500’s.

Sure you have a choice. Don't buy whatever GM 1500 cab style is made in Mexico.

I would look at a US made Ford F150 for a light duty truck instead of a GM import.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #58
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
My 2016 1500 dual cab 4x4 Z71 was built in the US. The vin # was the first thing I looked at.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #59
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The most American made car in 2018 is the Chevrolet Corvette followed by the Volt. This includes not only manufacturing but domestic content in said vehicles by US suppliers (which most gloss over). Go buy both, the Volt as your daily driver and the 'Vette as your weekend toy. Problem solved.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #60
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
My 2016 1500 dual cab 4x4 Z71 was built in the US. The vin # was the first thing I looked at.
Unfortunately, you can't get a Denali in a double cab - and realistically, I only want a Crewcab for my family anyway. So, if I'm buying a GM half-ton crewcab, it's from Mexico. :(
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #61

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Yes, it can be confusing. Good that you looked. Usually we'll here that the "Silverado and Sierra are made in both the US and Mexico..." It can get hazy on which truck models exactly are non US. The '19s will be made in two US plants and one in Mexico. You need to do some accurate research to determine which will be which. I think things are getting shuffled around with the trucks, as the Oshawa plant will no longer be in the loop, so where certain models are made might be different than how they were for '18 and earlier....Not exactly sure.....This truck production should and could all be done in the US where they are all sold.

The Blazer is assembled only in Mexico. There is no US version of the Blazer.

This link shows another helpful VIN chart and info. https://uaw.org/uaw-made/

Last edited by 90503; 01-24-2019 at 09:31 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #62
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Last I checked we live in a global economy.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #63
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
I would rather buy US made, but I won't buy another Mexican made one. They just don't put them together well. I have fixed so many squeaks, rattles, misfit trim panels on Mexican Silverados including my own.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #64
NW-99SS

Quote:
And...

A Chinese knock-off is equivalent to the product it was reverse-engineered from by this logic.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I would rather buy US made, but I won't buy another Mexican made one. They just don't put them together well. I have fixed so many squeaks, rattles, misfit trim panels on Mexican Silverados including my own.
This I can understand as a valid concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
And...

A Chinese knock-off is equivalent to the product it was reverse-engineered from by this logic.
Incorrect. I'm not saying that copyrights, patents, trademarks etc. should be violated. Producing the Blazer in Mexico does none of these. I'm simply stating that we live in a global economy and to thrive in such we cannot be isolationists. You can't produce everything, some goods and services must be imported and there is nothing wrong with that.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #66
NW-99SS

Quote:
Incorrect. I'm not saying that copyrights, patents, trademarks etc. should be violated. Producing the Blazer in Mexico does none of these. I'm simply stating that we live in a global economy and to thrive in such we cannot be isolationists. You can't produce everything, some goods and services must be imported and there is nothing wrong with that.
Also incorrect...hence why there are proven discrepancies between the same product, assembled from the same materials/parts, but from two different factories located in different countries.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 01-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #67
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
This I can understand as a valid concern.

Wrong. Problem is we don't make shit here anymore. We have become a nation of consumers. Pick up anything around your home and try to find something with Made in USA on it. Everything comes from China cause they own us. Besides firearms, there ain't a whole lot American made any more. We can stand to be a helluva lot more isolationist than we are now. The policy of letting everyone in and we will have a wonderful time is a lot of our problem now.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #68
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
Wrong. Problem is we don't make shit here anymore. We have become a nation of consumers. Pick up anything around your home and try to find something with Made in USA on it. Everything comes from China cause they own us. Besides firearms, there ain't a whole lot American made any more. We can stand to be a helluva lot more isolationist than we are now. The policy of letting everyone in and we will have a wonderful time is a lot of our problem now.
Because nobody would buy it.

US workers want to be paid well for their labor... nothing wrong with that... but US consumers shop price to an almost ridiculous degree. So something has to give.

Keep wages low to keep the price competitive with foreign products and the companies are made out to be greedy bastards and everybody quits. Charge a high enough price to support more expensive labor and the companies are looked upon as greedy bastards and nobody buys the product.

So what are you going to do?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #69
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
It appears their are 2 folks here saying buy the vehicles assembled here in the US. Problem is, their profile picture show vehicles that were assembled in Canada. It cracks me up. Guess it’s a do as I say, not as I do for some.

I think for GM to continue to be successful they need profits and value returned to shareholders. The are doing this unfortunately by shifting some manufacturing outside our boarders to lower wage countries. They use the savings from doing that to cover the overhead and additional costs of doing it here in the US with overburdened taxes and with their current workforce. That is all they can do because the workforce won’t let them have a non-union workforce here in the US. It’s really that simple. I want the vehicles made here in the US but quite frankly our vehicles are over priced compared to much of the competition. It’s not only the workforce but the savings in CEO and management that put better value into some of the competition. If given the choice, I would rather see it go to Mexico instead of Canada as their is no savings when assembled up there. No offense to any neighbors up north, it’s just the competitive nature and environment we live in. While Wall Street has been good for many, it’s now also hurting many workers here in the US via outsourcing and reduction in competition.

Last edited by Realist; 01-25-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #70
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Blazer is built on the C1XX platform. Same as Acadia, XT5 and the new XT6. All the others will be built in Spring Hill, Tennessee. GM is pumping a lot of money into that campus. That campus includes the assembly plant building the vehicles I just mentioned and an engine plant that makes 4-cylinder and 8-cylinder engines.

Here's a clip from the linked article. The linked article is more about investment in the engine plant.

In addition to the new investment, GM is completing a previously announced $300 million investment at the complex for production of the all-new Cadillac XT6. Spring Hill will be adding more than 200 jobs for the all-new, three-row Cadillac crossover.
GM’s Spring Hill Manufacturing complex consists of a flexible vehicle assembly plant and an engine plant. On the vehicle side, the plant produces the GMC Acadia, Holden Acadia and Cadillac XT5. In addition, Cadillac just unveiled the all-new Cadillac XT6 and the plant will begin building the vehicle later this year. The engine plant builds four- and eight-cylinder engines.

The Spring Hill complex opened in 1990 and currently employs about 3,800 people.

https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...pringhill.html
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote