Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Base MSRP of Laguna SECA BOSS = 48k
Base MSRP of ZL1 = 55k

I dont see why they cant be compared.

It sure as hell wouldnt make sense to compare the BOSS to an SS. 14k difference vs 7k. Double the difference.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Fixed. (They both run 12.3s...)
ZL1 ran a 12.1 in the motor trend article to the BOSS at 12.4.

12.1 is faster than motor trend has ever run with a GT500. Last time I seen motor trend got a 12.3 @ 115 with a 2011 GT500.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
The Boss isn't supercharged though, whereas the ZL1 is. I see where you sit on the matter though, and trust me, I'm a Camaro guy at heart. However, credit has to be given where it's due. The Boss is a hell of a N/A performer for the price in comparison to the ZL1 in straight line performance.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
I guess the mustang fan bois are ignoring the fact a professional driver (independent) basically said the Boss Laguna Seca is technologically behind the competition. Even though the Camaro has a hp advantage, their straighline performance is very close, which goes to show what superior engineering the ZL1 has on a road coarse vs Ford's very own statement that the Boss 302 Leguna Seca is the best turn key track car they have to offer. It got it's ugly rear end handed to it by a 4000+lb monster.
And I guess the Camaro fan boi in you thinks that 10mph in straight line speed is close. Mid corner speed on the ZL1 is very impressive and speaks volumes to the amount of development of the car. Nobody is denying the ZL1 is better than the Boss LS so there is no need to come into the thread with the attitude of "OMG Mustang fan boiz think....", and looking at the fact there is only a 8k price difference, and its got all the luxury features the Boss lacks + better track capability, and the ability to get driven every day without beating you up. Between those two, it would definitely be the car I would buy, no doubt about it...

Sincerely,
Mustang Fan Boi
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Base MSRP of ZL1 = 55k

It sure as hell wouldnt make sense to compare the BOSS to an SS. 14k difference vs 7k. Double the difference.
^^this. i saw alot of comments about the article and most of them were you cant compare them the price is different it should be compared to the SS which is obsured in price difference.

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
and no im not dissing on the Boss LS it is a very stout n/a car im just commenting off the comments of other people on the article

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Base MSRP of ZL1 = 55k

I'd love to know where you can buy a 2012 Boss Laguna Seca for 48k
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
And I guess the Camaro fan boi in you thinks that 10mph in straight line speed is close. Mid corner speed on the ZL1 is very impressive and speaks volumes to the amount of development of the car. Nobody is denying the ZL1 is better than the Boss LS so there is no need to come into the thread with the attitude of "OMG Mustang fan boiz think....", and looking at the fact there is only a 8k price difference, and its got all the luxury features the Boss lacks + better track capability, and the ability to get driven every day without beating you up. Between those two, it would definitely be the car I would buy, no doubt about it...

Sincerely,
Mustang Fan Boi
Dear Mustang Fan Boi,

Prior to this test, (and many more to follow) numerous Ford and Chevy forums have discussed this very topic Boss LS vs ZL1. Mustang Fans in general have defended their Mustang icon as being a better track car than the Zl1, due to it's lighter weight, supposed higher then reported engine hp, and a being purposely built track car. It lost and that makes me happy.

Sincerely,

Camaro Fan Boi
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #37
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Dear Mustang Fan Boi,

Prior to this test, (and many more to follow) numerous Ford and Chevy forums have discussed this very topic Boss LS vs ZL1. Mustang Fans in general have defended their Mustang icon as being a better track car than the Zl1, due to it's lighter weight, supposed higher then reported engine hp, and a being purposely built track car. It lost and that makes me happy.

Sincerely,

Camaro Fan Boi
lol I don't know why anyone would say the Boss would be faster than the ZL1 when it's not even faster than the current GT500.

Back on topic, 2.45 seconds on a 2.2 mile track is HUGE!!!! I can't wait to see more tests of it.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
There is no need to compare the Laguna Seca Boss to the SS. Compare the Standard Boss 302 Non Laguna Seca version which is $40,310 and it would still outperform the SS.

I don't pay attention the MSRP's so much.

Is the ZL1 not the HIGHEST LEVEL Camaro? YES, IT IS. IS THE BOSS THE HIGHEST LEVEL MUSTANG? NOOO!!!!!. Apples to Bananas.

Compare the New ZL1 to the new GT500. End of story.

I am sure if the Boss was Supercharged, it would do a little more than what it did and most likely will be a different story.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
There is no need to compare the Laguna Seca Boss to the SS. Compare the Standard Boss 302 Non Laguna Seca version which is $40,310 and it would still outperform the SS.

Is the ZL1 not the HIGHEST LEVEL Camaro? YES, IT IS. IS THE BOSS THE HIGHEST LEVEL MUSTANG? NOOO!!!!!. Apples to Bananas.

I am sure if the Boss was Supercharged, it would do a little more than what it did and most likely will be a different story.
Even with a blower, I don't think it would beat the ZL1 based on the fact the Camaro still carries a lot more speed through the turns and brakes a lot better too. The only place the Boss would make up a bit of a deficit would be on the straightaway and I don't think it could make up over 2 seconds, just because it would have issues putting the power down in the corner before it. Plus, now we're comparing a modified car vs. stock car anyways, and that's a ricer argument I do wonder though, why not compare it to the current GT500? It's faster than Boss.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:
Not sure what world you are from.

What does a 580HP ZL1 and a 412HP Mustang GT have in common? They run 12's....

Just in all good fun. I mean look at what I ran. I have no room to talk
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:

Not to be a debby downer but remember -- Chevy has to worry about touching on Corvette performance territory. Ford doesn't.

Yes, different people buy camaros and corvettes, but how can you make a camaro faster than a z06 for less money.... See where I'm going? Like I have said before... stock vs stock is just stupid argument. You're arguing who has the better car that some mexican built in Mongolia.

Mod for mod is where it's at because YOU build the car. The car runs good because of YOU. See where I'm going with this. I don't think the LSA can even touch the GT500 when it comes to modding, but maybe it'll surprise us.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Even with a blower, I don't think it would beat the ZL1 based on the fact the Camaro still carries a lot more speed through the turns and brakes a lot better too. The only place the Boss would make up a bit of a deficit would be on the straightaway and I don't think it could make up over 2 seconds, just because it would have issues putting the power down in the corner before it. Plus, now we're comparing a modified car vs. stock car anyways, and that's a ricer argument I do wonder though, why not compare it to the current GT500? It's faster than Boss.

People here don't like to compare the GT500 to anything.

The Boss is faster around the ring than the current 2011/2012 5.4L GT500. That's saying something with having over a 100+ HP deficit. Now, add some power, shave off some time when hitting those straight-aways, it will make a difference.

IMHO - Magazine testers are not doing the ZL1 justice.

That car should run high 11's on street tires, and bottom 11's/high 10's with a Slick.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote