Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
I've never been against it, however, my car was ready for pickup well before I had the $ together for the protection and install, I plan to replace the front bumper anyways at this point, and when I do have it replaced and the car completely paint corrected it will get a wrap for sure.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
I just applied a ceramic coating to the paint and I'm done. It's only a camaro, Drive it then trade it.
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
10k Miles on mine and I have about 8 rock chips in the front fascia. Believe me quality paint protection like Xpel Ultimate is worth its weight in gold.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #18
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
First I'd be willing to bet I'm the cheapest person on here.

It gave me a pit in my stomach paying for the Xpel on mine. I wouldn't have ever considered it if it weren't for the black fifth gen I came from. By 70K miles my black front end had so many chips it looked like it was an intentional mosaic black.

Then while I was waiting for my ZL1 I saw another member was quoted $800 to fix a chip he got in his the first week.

Then finally the cost to replace the bumper once it's chipped and the new fresh bumper paint making it a requirement to have the full car refreshed so it matches.

Those things all factored in to my choice to bite the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Never had it and never needed it. I take good care of my car and it's garaged and driven on good roads. I really don't like the lines on clear bras either.

But that's just me and I know I'm the minority.

I probably don't keep my cars long enough either.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
My Camaro is a May-November pleasure/car show cruiser so I couldn't justify the cost. So far so good. I do have it in my daily driver.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
I had XPEL Ultimate installed on the front end, part of the hood, rockers, side mirrors, and lower rear panel for 1500. I would do it again in a heartbeat...
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Toons
Speed Racer

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Never had it and never needed it. I take good care of my car and it's garaged and driven on good roads. I really don't like the lines on clear bras either.

But that's just me and I know I'm the minority.

I probably don't keep my cars long enough either.
I think this sums it up, is the car disposable or it is a treasure? Make that call and then the decision to wrap/not wrap is easy.
Toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #23
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Everyone against paint protection is really kidding themselves if they think the front splitter isn't going to get peppered with paint chips over time. Talk to the Corvette guys and see how well their front splitters are holding up to rock chips. I know C7 owners that are on their 2nd and 3rd splitters already.

I can understand the objection to getting the whole front of the car protected but at least get the splitter covered. Don't kid yourself, even on good roads rocks will get thrown at the front of the car and the splitter will be the area that gets hit the most.
If it is too bad, I will buy another splitter

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #24
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
It's not just the rocks that you have to worry about. I had never used paint protection until I got my 2012 ZL1. I can tell you that a car up in front of me ran over what looked like a flattened hubcap and it smacked my driver side front bumper. Needless to say it cut so deep it looked like it went through the paint. So I waited about 6 months before I had it removed thinking I was going to have to paint the bumper. Well as soon as the tech peeled it off and there was no damage, not even a scuff. That made a believer out of me. I can also tell you the my 2012 ZL1 was like a vacuum cleaner in front. The splitter took a lot of abuse and it wasn't painted. Now when I boot my 2017 ZL1, that was the first thing that I did.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #25
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
Suntek for me when I bought my F-150, the front and high impact areas, Ceramic coated the rest.
Will do the same with the Camaro when it arrives.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
Doing Suntek front, partial fenders, mirrors, and lower pieces along with Suntek ceramic tint and Feynlab self-healing coating all for just over $2k.
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #27
jffarraro

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 Convertible ZL1
I have a Vert A10 HBM I took delivery of back in April - It has ~2000 miles on it now. I opted to get the whole thing filmed. I also had ceramic coat over 100% of the car, including wheels.

I guess the reason I opted to go so far is that I drive the car (not much as your guessing from the mileage) - and I'm not timid about taking it out if its raining, etc. I Plan on keeping the car a long time (7+ years). There is another reason to get it wrapped/coated - it makes keeping it clean LOTS easier. Because of the wrap and no fear of scratch with careful washing, I often use a rinse-less method - takes about 15 min. Plus no waxing. I paid a heavy price for it ($5000) - I also had the interior Alcantera in high handling areas (steering wheel, seat bottoms, door pulls) treated for stain resistance. Also had the top treated for enhanced water resistance.

I guess in my mind the strongest reason NOT to do any protection is your not emotionally attached to the car and its just something your going to run for a while and sell. Paint preservation is expensive to apply and it does not make any sense if you really don't care about preservation. There are more moderate, lower cost ways to go - only partial wrapping, only ceramic coating, etc. - I took mine directly over to the detailed when I took delivery - did not even stop for gas, did not let the dealership wash it...the paint was corrected and "frozen" under the wrap.

I don't worry about people leaning over or getting too close to the car where they might unitentionally scratch it, I don't worry about light rock strikes, I don't worry about buffing and waxing, I don't worry about brake dust (rinses right off with the ceramic coat on the wheels), I don't worry about scratching it when I wash it, I don't worry about bugs or birds (not even on the vert top since its been treated). I paid a lot - but I don't worry now - just my personality type I supposed. I wanted to enjoy the car, not worry over it.

John
jffarraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #28
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
This is the 3rd car I've had that has paint protection. I will not have another nice car without it. I hate rock chips and the piece of mind ppf offers is worth it to me. I've never spent $2k or $3k though. You have to be smart about it in my opinion. I don't wrap complete vehicles like some. Stick with the high impact areas and money will be saved. The ZL1 has more coverage than my C7 or Hellcat did though. With the way these rockers and splitter are nicely finished, I don't think they'll wear well as the miles stack up. I wanted this car protected even more than my previous ones. I did front bumper, splitter, rockers, partial heat extractor, area in front of rear wheel, and partial rear bumper behind rear wheel (slightly past rear side marker light). This coverage was under $2k.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote