Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
jlsat3

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Its 2020 now, What is best android head unit for PAC in 2013 2SS

Hello,
I just had a rental car with Android Auto. Now I want to update my 2013 2SS stock radio (no navigation) with an aftermarket that has google maps and other cool things.

Going to go with the PAC.
Want a head unit that is compatible with heated seats, AC controls, Steering Wheel controls, all vehicle settings in the stock radio, and my stock back up camera. XM is nice, but not necessary. I don't want to lose anything.

Prefer android and touch screen.

Haven't done an aftermarket radio in 30 years. So I don't know much about them.

Is there a difference with the head units being a car stereo or an android computer?

Would be nice to have a powerful android computer where I can put a SIM card in and it would have its own internet data...or possibly phone number. No tethering needed, but I can still manage to have the phone.

What about video playing and apps? Android Auto limits you to certain apps, but an android tablet/computer would be cool where you could have internet, record video from cameras, add a big memory card, and just have all your normal phone apps.

Looking for recommendations and advice.

Thanks!
jlsat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
cfosceola

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Take a look at the Cam1 Idatalink with maestro kit for install, if you are techy you will like it. There are a few android stereos that go with it. Search on crutchfield.
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #3
jlsat3

Cool. I am a techie. Probably go with the maestro.

Any recommendations on the head unit? I want a short one so I can pack the wires easily.

I also have the Boston on my speakers. Anything special I need to do?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 AM   #4
cfosceola

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsat3 View Post
Cool. I am a techie. Probably go with the maestro.

Any recommendations on the head unit? I want a short one so I can pack the wires easily.

I also have the Boston on my speakers. Anything special I need to do?
If you go on crutchfield search for radios that feature the idatalink, from there you can pick one based on features and brand of your preference. I wont lie but there are a lot of wires that will look overwhelming but they will fit with no problem. It is a pretty easy DIY, you will get detailed instructions from crutchfield if you order from them.
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
jlsat3

Went with the CAM1, idatalink maestro RR, and a Kenwood Excelon DMX960S. Got most everything working: steering controls, vehicle information, gauges, XM, Onstar.

Its pretty cool.

A couple of questions and things I haven't figured out.
1) I connected the GPS antenna. Do I really need that? Was thinking that the phone would take care of that.

2) The microphone. Is there a way to use the existing one that came with the car? I like to be minimal and get rid the the stubby one that's now on top of my steering wheel shroud. I have no idea how to tap into this and connect it to the radio. Maybe it already is? I don't know, but I connected the Kenwood one anyways.

3) Is there an adapter for the XM antenna so I can plug it directly into the XM tuner? Again, want to get rid of redundancy. I think I found it as it was one of the few connectors that don't have a home with this replacement radio system. However, after the connector housing, the coax pin plug doesn't engage far enough into the receptacle.

4) Apply car play works wireless and wired. Android auto only works wired (moto g7). Maybe I need a more expensive phone.
>It sucks that you cannot connect them both at the same time and just switch between them. I have an apple work phone and a android personal phone.
>It also sucks that when these apps are engaged it eliminates the option to stream bluetooth with the other phone. It works sometimes, but needs a weird sequence of connecting bluetooth and phones.
>It double sucks that when bluetooth is disconnected, you cannot have both phones connected at the same time. Basically if I am doing carplay or android auto with one phone, I cannot take a handsfree call with the other.

5) Screen mirroring does't work. Can't figure it out with my Moto G7. This was the biggest reason I bought the unit.

6) Can you make it so that when you push the camera view button on the radio, it will show the rear view camera? Would be cool to watch behind me sometimes when I am driving.

Any advice or workaround would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
B112

Drives: 2014 camaro 1lt convertible
I just did mine, I know a couple answers.

A couple of questions and things I haven't figured out.
1) I connected the GPS antenna. Do I really need that? Was thinking that the phone would take care of that. .
Needed for Android auto

2) The microphone. Is there a way to use the existing one that came with the car? I like to be minimal and get rid the the stubby one that's now on top of my steering wheel shroud. I have no idea how to tap into this and connect it to the radio. Maybe it already is? I don't know, but I connected the Kenwood one anyways..

You need the Kenwood one.

3) Is there an adapter for the XM antenna so I can plug it directly into the XM tuner? Again, want to get rid of redundancy. I think I found it as it was one of the few connectors that don't have a home with this replacement radio system. However, after the connector housing, the coax pin plug doesn't engage far enough into the receptacle.

Call crutchfield and ask for adapter piece, I used 1 for a Rav 4 Chevy might have one.

4) Apply car play works wireless and wired. Android auto only works wired (moto g7). Maybe I need a more expensive phone.
>It sucks that you cannot connect them both at the same time and just switch between them. I have an apple work phone and a android personal phone.
>It also sucks that when these apps are engaged it eliminates the option to stream bluetooth with the other phone. It works sometimes, but needs a weird sequence of connecting bluetooth and phones.
>It double sucks that when bluetooth is disconnected, you cannot have both phones connected at the same time. Basically if I am doing carplay or android auto with one phone, I cannot take a handsfree call with the other.

5) Screen mirroring does't work. Can't figure it out with my Moto G7. This was the biggest reason I bought the unit.

Thinking both of these are your phone check Android version info.

6) Can you make it so that when you push the camera view button on the radio, it will show the rear view camera? Would be cool to watch behind me sometimes when I am driving.

Not w. Factory cam. It gets power from reverse light. If you go from reverse to drive it will stay on for a min but then go off. My front cam is always on. It's hard wired into power off stereo (had power on cam RCA). No ground was needed. Just drop camera in hood latch and double side tape.

Last edited by B112; 03-26-2020 at 09:08 PM.
B112 is offline   Reply With Quote