Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
When you report that this happened over time, I would point to bad tires. They are probably not wearing round. I’ve said it here before, you could put a square tire and wheel on a balancer, off the car, and you could balance it perfectly, but you cannot balance out an out-of-round tire once it hits the road. I’ve had to drive up to three years with a vibration that a tire change cured INSTANTLY.

The only possible alternative is to find an old school shop that has a portable wheel balancer that balances on the vehicle. This gets all the rotating parts involved. But it may be hard to find. And would do little for an oval tire.

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 12-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #16
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Mine developed a shimmy at 60mph overnite. Car came in contact with nothing but pavement. I swapped sides with the front tires and noticed the wheel weights missing on one wheel. Drove it, with the shimmy still to get balanced. Drives like new again. Motivos with 20k miles.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
Ok,

Back from the garage, the issue is almost fixed. I specifically asked them to check on the struts mounts, which they did. They reported no noticeable issue, but re-tighten the bolts nonetheless. It must have worked out somehow, because the problem is almost completely gone! I barely feel a vibration anymore, took it for a 6 hours drive back/forth, finally enjoy my car the way I should.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers, and especially to SummitWhite11 for the help.

NICE! Glad you got that resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #18
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Have them replace the front tires under warranty and rebalance.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I've had a vibration around 65 MPH for about 4 months now. Sometimes it's worse, especially if I get on a highway soon after starting the car for the day. I've been to 2 different Discount Tire places for balancing and it helped slightly both times but vibration is still there.
The interesting thing is I also have the Nitto Motivos that others have mentioned here too. They have about 10,000 miles on them. I really think my vibration is a tire issue because the vibration really started after the car sat for about 3 weeks. The tires must have flat-spotted from the car sitting and I don't think the tires have recovered from that since then. I never hit a curb, pothole, or anything like that. I check my tire pressure often too.
I've never been impressed with the Motivos anyways. I remember the car swaying more in turns after I removed the Pirellis and installed the Motivos. Tire pressure was same. The sidewall stiffness is noticeably less on the Motivos (probably because they're an all-season tire compared to the Pirelli's Summer performance status).

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
I had the highway speed vibration on mine but this Sept I had to install new front tires and remove all tint to pass ny inspection (FU NYS Inspection $@^&$(@$@($) and to my delight no more vibration....

I had Pirelli P Zero Tires on front, now have Sumitomo
Old 12-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I've had a vibration around 65 MPH for about 4 months now. Sometimes it's worse, especially if I get on a highway soon after starting the car for the day. I've been to 2 different Discount Tire places for balancing and it helped slightly both times but vibration is still there.
The interesting thing is I also have the Nitto Motivos that others have mentioned here too. They have about 10,000 miles on them. I really think my vibration is a tire issue because the vibration really started after the car sat for about 3 weeks. The tires must have flat-spotted from the car sitting and I don't think the tires have recovered from that since then. I never hit a curb, pothole, or anything like that. I check my tire pressure often too.
I've never been impressed with the Motivos anyways. I remember the car swaying more in turns after I removed the Pirellis and installed the Motivos. Tire pressure was same. The sidewall stiffness is noticeably less on the Motivos (probably because they're an all-season tire compared to the Pirelli's Summer performance status).
The one time I had an impossible to fix vibration (no improvement when road force balanced) it turned out to be a defective tire. Flat spotting is not a thing on modern tires that are made right. BTW, where were your Nitto tires made? I am trying to stay away from Chinese made tires because Chinese manufacturers lie, cheat, and steal. Right now my Camaro has BFGs made in the USA.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e+COMP-2+A%2FS
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering wheel, vibration