Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
striker1le

Drives: '17 M6 ZL1
Warm starting issues after engine was replaced. Dealer doesn't really care anymore

I have a 2013 1le and just got my engine replaced at 71.5k miles. It was caused by bad oil pressure pump that failed twice this year (serviced at Momentum Chevrolet, San Jose) , they didn't check the internals from what I read from their work order and when it failed for the 3rd time, I decided to take it to another dealership which was Boardwalk, Redwood city. And after inspecting the internal, the verdict was to replace the engine. Fortunately this was all covered under warranty because they proved it was because of the bad oil pressure pump that was replaced earlier that caused engine damage over time.

After my new engine was put in, I drove the car out of the dealership and was invited immediately with CEL reduced engine power stabilitrak issue. So drove it back and was told that evening that the crank sensor did not "re-learn" the program and now they said it was fixed. I pick up the car, drove home, everything is fine. I try starting again and I hear an unusually long crank a couple times with a *clang* sound right before the engine fires up. Third time onwards, there is little to no crank and engine does not start. I try my luck in the morning with a cold start and voila, it fired up so I take it back right away to the dealership.
They checked and said it was a bad crank position sensor that came with the new engine and that needed to be replaced and everything is good to go now.

Here is the issue, I pick up the car again, drive around, everything is fine. But the car still has issue starting up when hot but not as bad as the crank sensor failure. It still has the strained crank and produces the *clang* sound when I crank it hot. I've attached a video below. Tune up the volume to hear that metal like clangs after I crank and before the engine actually fires up.

https://i.imgur.com/gyMZhwu.mp4

I've dropped the car again at the dealership, talked to the technician about the sound that he was able to hear it too. But a day later, I hear that they are not able to find anything wrong with the engine that could be causing the sound and everything seems to be fine.
Also the battery indicator shows my battery is good. Stays around 14v when running.
I sent the technician the link to the post that discusses something similar but minus the weird sound I get.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199
I got a reply saying it was neither of them.

I've opened a case with GM care stating an incomplete service done on the vehicle and the dealership doesn't want to work on the car because according to them they can't find anything wrong and have other cars to work on and that they don't get paid for inspecting the vehicle

So I don't know if the technician even verified the probable causes that was in the link.

Anyone here experienced something similar to this ? Or have fixes to it ?
Should I take my car to another dealership ? Abel chevy is about an hour drive from where I am. Please help

Last edited by striker1le; 12-06-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: grammar
striker1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if i heard an older car making this noise i would suggest a shim between the starter and block,sounds like excessive contact between starter gear and flywheel.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Bummer! Stop going from dealer to dealer. Get the name and email for the service manager and general manager. Start a written paper trail. Make mention of any club or forum that you are a member of. When you email the service manager, always cc the GM. Each Chevy dealer is part of a GM district. Tell them that you want a decision from “district” or you will go to them directly. They hate that and it shows that you know the business. Don’t threaten, just be matter of fact. The GM district manager can compensate the dealer for any additional labor. I have gotten “out of warranty” parts and labor covered many times by not accepting their initial decision. Remember, the monthly bread and butter for most dealers is service revenue, not sales.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
Bummer! Stop going from dealer to dealer. Get the name and email for the service manager and general manager. Start a written paper trail. Make mention of any club or forum that you are a member of. When you email the service manager, always cc the GM. Each Chevy dealer is part of a GM district. Tell them that you want a decision from “district” or you will go to them directly. They hate that and it shows that you know the business. Don’t threaten, just be matter of fact. The GM district manager can compensate the dealer for any additional labor. I have gotten “out of warranty” parts and labor covered many times by not accepting their initial decision. Remember, the monthly bread and butter for most dealers is service revenue, not sales.
Good luck!

How do I get information on the General Manager, I asked my service guy and he was only able to give the Service manager's info. He didn't know about the General Manager.

Btw I got some update, it seems like they've opened a TAC case and I have the tac reference# with me. As per TAC's advise, they performed some inspection with oil filter housing, oil pressure and it was normal. So they were advised to tear down the engine to inspect rockers and valve springs.

But the engine tear down is not performed yet because I was told it would take atleast a couple weeks to get the car looked at because of the holidays and I should be ok to drive the car till then so I have the car with me now.

Is this the normal routine for my case like you've mentioned above involving the service manager or should I try to escalate it parallely outside their tac case. I've already let the dealer have my car for more than a month now. So the next time, I drop at the dealership, I want them to work on the car right away than letting it sit in the lot. please advise.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #5
rshelar

That’s b.s. Everyone knows who the GM is unless they just started yesterday. The GM is the head honcho and reports directly to the owner and is often related in some way.
Have you checked their website for management contacts? You can also go to their BBB profile for this info.
Are they offering a rental car?

Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Start sound is definitely NOT normal. Possibly could be starter not shimmed properly as redcoats1976 mentioned. Quick way to tell is to lay down on the ground along side behind the rear of the passenger side front wheel well (that’s pretty much where the starter is) and have some start it. You should be able to hear that noise if it’s coming from the starter.

Very concerning is how many miles were on the car when the first pump failed! Was is around 70k miles? Are you the original owner?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
hubris140

Drives: 2017 Z06/Z07
Quote:
Good luck!

How does one go about tracking down a GM district manager? I have a similar issue with an unresponsive dealer and am unsure how to proceed.
hubris140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
rshelar

https://www.chevrolet.com/contact/call-us

Follow the process. You want the email of the right person and start a written string. If you don’t write well, get some help.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
striker1le

Quote:
That’s b.s. Everyone knows who the GM is unless they just started yesterday. The GM is the head honcho and reports directly to the owner and is often related in some way.
Have you checked their website for management contacts? You can also go to their BBB profile for this info.
Are they offering a rental car?

Ok. I will have to request this information from GM's customer rep. I couldn't find any information on their website or bbb profile.
They offered rental car when the original work(engine replacement) was done and that too after 2 weeks because they couldn't decide who to bill (GM or GMPP). And no rental during the next three times I went.
Now I have my car with me because as I said earlier, they're not ready to look at my car until they get a decision from the TAC case. So it would be just sitting in the lot if I didn't pick it up.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Start sound is definitely NOT normal. Possibly could be starter not shimmed properly as redcoats1976 mentioned. Quick way to tell is to lay down on the ground along side behind the rear of the passenger side front wheel well (that’s pretty much where the starter is) and have some start it. You should be able to hear that noise if it’s coming from the starter.

Very concerning is how many miles were on the car when the first pump failed! Was is around 70k miles? Are you the original owner?
Yes, I will have that looked. My service advisor said, the technician took a look and it wasn't the starter.
First pump failed at around 66k miles. Yes, I'm the original owner
Old 12-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Excessive gap between the starter and the flywheel is not what I would be worried about. That drag sounds awful. These cars drag somewhat straight off of the showroom floor, but that is excessive. Do you have headers on this car?

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1le View Post
Yes, I will have that looked. My service advisor said, the technician took a look and it wasn't the starter.
First pump failed at around 66k miles. Yes, I'm the original owner
Wow VERY disconcerting to hear that your pump failed at 66k mi! There are lots of threads on failed oil pumps, but from the ones I've seen all but a few failed with way less miles than yours. In fact I think yours has the most mileage I've seen with a reported failure. Can we assume your car was never cammed nor had the timing chained replaced ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Excessive gap between the starter and the flywheel is not what I would be worried about. That drag sounds awful. These cars drag somewhat straight off of the showroom floor, but that is excessive. Do you have headers on this car?
The car is stock.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
striker1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Wow VERY disconcerting to hear that your pump failed at 66k mi! There are lots of threads on failed oil pumps, but from the ones I've seen all but a few failed with way less miles than yours. In fact I think yours has the most mileage I've seen with a reported failure. Can we assume your car was never cammed nor had the timing chained replaced ?
Yes, after I read up on this issue, it was shocking to see a lot of people facing it way ahead. I think I was fortunate there

And you're right, the car is stock.