Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Traction Control and Launch Control with Whipple

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question and my search skills leave a lot to be desired, so I will ask here. I have noticed since my recent installation of the Whipple supercharger and the drop in outside ambient temperatures, my car spins the tires at will. I have never used the launch control, even before the supercharger install, but I am familiar with how it works. Will it work with the Whipple? The reason I ask is, even though my traction control light flashes when the tires spin, it does nothing, that I can tell, to prevent them from spinning. So, I'm afraid if I were to use the launch control, the results would be the same. Any input would be appreciated.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Hmmm...
Interesting querry.
I would assume that it would as the TC activates the brakes in the event of loss of traction.
Have you checked the tread on your rear tires?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Hmmm...
Interesting querry.
I would assume that it would as the TC activates the brakes in the event of loss of traction.
Have you checked the tread on your rear tires?
Tires are new (Eagle F1s (suck in the cold, I know)) and supercharger is a recent addition. Its like the TC activates but has not affect. I'd hate to attempt a launch with launch control and break something.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Traction control won't do anything in the cold when your making power. Around this time last year with 30-40 degree days when I still had my camaro I could spin em at will at 70mph on the highway with all the nannies enabled. I even have a video LOL.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Dum question, but I have a new Whipple as well. When spinning the tires at 70mph are you punching all the way down to the floor. I have been kinda leary about punching it all the way at high speeds
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Traction control won't do anything in the cold when your making power. Around this time last year with 30-40 degree days when I still had my camaro I could spin em at will at 70mph on the highway with all the nannies enabled. I even have a video LOL.
Good to know. I'll be more cautious now. I haven't really done any WOT runs, but leaving the line, even slightly hard, will result in spinning the tires in first and second. I'm sure my tire pressure is too high and the temperature is too low, but I thought the TC would help a little.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Dum question, but I have a new Whipple as well. When spinning the tires at 70mph are you punching all the way down to the floor. I have been kinda leary about punching it all the way at high speeds
On the highway it was more of a WOT run, but I'd say 3/4 throttle would break loose.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
Good to know. I'll be more cautious now. I haven't really done any WOT runs, but leaving the line, even slightly hard, will result in spinning the tires in first and second. I'm sure my tire pressure is too high and the temperature is too low, but I thought the TC would help a little.
Well you make a lot of down low torque with the whipple. Stock my daily driver CTS-V will spin the PS2s all day in 1st and 2nd when the temps drop below 45. I have snows on it now but you have to be very gentle with the loud pedal as I saw T/C kick on when going WOT in the V even nearing 60mph. It certaintly helps and keeps you on the straight and narrow but if you just keep your foot in it your gonna keep spinning.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
TC works in my car if I leave it on but on only seems to work in 2nd and up. I probably just over power it in first. This is on warm days. My car gets stored by end of sept normally.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
eviltech72

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS package
Hmmm, would be interested in your findings.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
TC pulls timing/power to try to control. It can only do so much. When adding 200+hp it can't pull enough to stop spinning. So it "works" but it can't do enough to actually be effective. Same with launch control, it will try to lower power but even pulling power you probably make more than stock.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Well, thank you all for your input. I guess I will have to try the launch control myself. However, I will probably wait until it warms up a bit.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Is your tune totally custom or built off the Whipple tune. I remember a post awhile back where the tuner was building off the Whipple tune and traction control was disabled in the tune. My tune had TC disabled too, but I don't remember if my light would flash or not.
Found it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...que+management
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
rjsmith1973

Drives: Aqua Blue 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
TC pulls timing/power to try to control. It can only do so much. When adding 200+hp it can't pull enough to stop spinning. So it "works" but it can't do enough to actually be effective. Same with launch control, it will try to lower power but even pulling power you probably make more than stock.
It will pull power and brake to the point you'll feel like you've hit a wall, then after that regains traction you'll lurch forward (if your foot is still on the throttle) as the power comes back on full. Rinse repeat. Not a fun experience.
rjsmith1973 is offline   Reply With Quote