Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #869
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
WHO is going to be the wonderful person who will truly summarize the last 35 pages of text and give us the finalized scoop on what is and is not truly necessary for the L99 and LS3 motors with fuse pulling?

Summary Scoop:

Procedure for LS3:

Procedure for L99:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #870
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
WHO is going to be the wonderful person who will truly summarize the last 35 pages of text and give us the finalized scoop on what is and is not truly necessary for the L99 and LS3 motors with fuse pulling?

Summary Scoop:

Procedure for LS3:

Procedure for L99:

I think you just volunteered!

j/k
Honeslty we need either someone in the know at GM to tell us...or a tuner who has experimented/tested and logged both cars to see what is going on with the tables and what effect a battery reset or fuse pull has on the tables.

BTW the other day I got gas on base "93 Octane"(gotta quit doing that)..next morning I thought I heard some slight detonation..BAM...went to dog mode. Which is fine...but if it doesn't go back to the high octane table once "good" fuel is onboard without a reset...that sucks.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..

Last edited by HIGHOCTANE; 04-02-2010 at 01:01 PM.
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #871
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrusco103 View Post
after putting the fuses back in the morning my camaro sounds a bit louder and feels a little more powerful but mine never felt slow to begin with. Thanks for this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post

Summary Scoop:

Procedure for LS3: Pull the #5 and #20 fuses if your car was built before December 2009 and you had low Octane fuel put in.

Procedure for L99: Pull the #5 and #20 fuses if your car was built before December 2009 and you had low Octane fuel put in.
The problem is that I don't know where and how the battery cable pull for the LS3 came from. I'll summarize it in my opinion.

Above in blue.

Not sure of the cut-off for build dates as far as when they were corrected at the factory, OR if a flash was sent out for the early builds, but I know for a fact that anything after Nov. has no need for a fuse pull.

Let me get with the powers that be to get a confirmation.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #872
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
BTW the other day I got gas on base "93 Octane"(gotta quit doing that)..next morning I thought I heard some slight detonation..BAM...went to dog mode. Which is fine...but if it doesn't go back to the high octane table once "good" fuel is onboard without a reset...that sucks.
Uhh? You're SUPPOSED to put 93 in.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #873
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Uhh? You're SUPPOSED to put 93 in.
LOL...I see how that could be confusing...I mean I need to quit getting gas on base...twice I've gotten gas on base and both times it went into dog mode.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #874
ace2777

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Orange
can anyone explain how i pulled the fuses, felt the power, car sat for a few days and it was back to its old "slower" ways with the same tank of shell 93 ??????????
i pulled the fuses again last night and it felt good this morning. all i can say is............

W T F ?????????????

VORTECH V3 SI SUPERCHARGER
JRE UPGRADE KIT
AMERICAN RACING HEADERS
SOLO MACH-X CAT BACK EXHAUST
JRE CUSTOM TUNE
EIBACH PRO SPRINGS AND SWAYS
CATCH CAN
604 RWHP / 547 TQ
ace2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #875
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The car will go to high octane tables after the fuse is pulled and will run like a rocket. IF it detects detonation though it will drop to lower tables. So the station your are getting gas from may have bad gas.

Find a different station. Run tank low 2 times to make sure all bad gas gone. Do fuse pull if car stays running great then it was bad gas.

Also the car will slow down a tad after the intial fuse pull depending on air temps and humitidy. It will pull a little timming for that stuff.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #876
ace2777

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
The car will go to high octane tables after the fuse is pulled and will run like a rocket. IF it detects detonation though it will drop to lower tables. So the station your are getting gas from may have bad gas.

Find a different station. Run tank low 2 times to make sure all bad gas gone. Do fuse pull if car stays running great then it was bad gas.

Also the car will slow down a tad after the intial fuse pull depending on air temps and humitidy. It will pull a little timming for that stuff.
thanks,
filled up from a different shell station today so I'll see how it goes.

VORTECH V3 SI SUPERCHARGER
JRE UPGRADE KIT
AMERICAN RACING HEADERS
SOLO MACH-X CAT BACK EXHAUST
JRE CUSTOM TUNE
EIBACH PRO SPRINGS AND SWAYS
CATCH CAN
604 RWHP / 547 TQ
ace2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #877
NSCRFN3

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Let me get with the powers that be to get a confirmation.
I can't believe that after 35 pages no powers to be have chimed in here. I have a LS3 12/1 build date. Twice now mine has switched to low low octane table. Dealer checked it says everything is up to date. But they say it's not a LS3 problem only L99. There is NO doubt to me that my car is not switching back. Or something else is going on then. Each time I have suspected slugishness I did the 5/20 and she woke up again. WTF? If that's the case I haven't found true 93 octane anywhere yet in 5 fill ups. I may try to get a response through the web site.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #878
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
LOL...I see how that could be confusing...I mean I need to quit getting gas on base...twice I've gotten gas on base and both times it went into dog mode.
, ok, I read it again. Goes to show, you see what you want. lmao

Makes perfect sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2777 View Post
can anyone explain how i pulled the fuses, felt the power, car sat for a few days and it was back to its old "slower" ways with the same tank of shell 93 ??????????
i pulled the fuses again last night and it felt good this morning. all i can say is............

W T F ?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCRFN3 View Post
I can't believe that after 35 pages no powers to be have chimed in here. I have a LS3 12/1 build date. Twice now mine has switched to low low octane table. Dealer checked it says everything is up to date. But they say it's not a LS3 problem only L99. There is NO doubt to me that my car is not switching back. Or something else is going on then. Each time I have suspected slugishness I did the 5/20 and she woke up again. WTF? If that's the case I haven't found true 93 octane anywhere yet in 5 fill ups. I may try to get a response through the web site.
I think it was glossed over. I also think there are some that think this is BS.

I've asked anyone who thinks it's BS to please refute my evidence. Got no takers. It may very well be that they can't, or won't fix the old ones since anyone who knew they had the problem can just pull fuses. I have NO DOUBT that there are a few thousand people out there who don't even know they have a problem.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #879
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Has anyone actually datalogged a car before and after to verify that (a) the timing before the reset was messed up, and (b) the reset fixed it? Seat-of-the pants anecdotes and stopwatch 0-60 timing are not going to get GM to do anything at the corporate level.
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #880
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ28 View Post
Has anyone actually datalogged a car before and after to verify that (a) the timing before the reset was messed up, and (b) the reset fixed it? Seat-of-the pants anecdotes and stopwatch 0-60 timing are not going to get GM to do anything at the corporate level.
GM verified to me that it was an issue in an e-mail. My dealer called me after my fuse pull to bring me in to set it back up. GM called my dealer to let them know. When the dealer called me, they had already heard that my car was 'Fixed' so they asked me what I did and I was told by the service manager that the fuse pull was basically doing the same thing. Resetting to defaults. So yes, GM aknowledged that they were aware and that there was a problem. After they came down to Alabama to look at Scotts car, they knew.

Problem is that, though I KNOW that they are self correcting now, but I don't know, and can't get ferification, that they have corrected the earlier cars that had the problem.

So while 'Seat of the pants' and 0-60 stopwatch methods may not have been enough, my issue here, coupled with the evidence they gathered when they came down here and looked at Scotts car, were enough to get them on it.

I can't give my source of contact I had within GM, but I can tell you that he made it happen as far as getting it looked at and giving it attention. My car would have been fixed less than a week later had I not discovered the fuse pull. It was coming to a head.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #881
Frojas3440
Yogi

Drives: Cyber Gray 2SS/RS
Camaro5 is a godsend. Amazing what a couple of fuse pulls will do to the car!!! Wow!!!!
Frojas3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #882
PQ
Booooosted.

From what I can tell, with the info I have been able to gather, the early builds will still have to do this when they run low grade gas. Maybe all of them. It's hard to get the solid info.