Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
tdsikk

Drives: 2SSRS
Thanks cc-rider! I already have a 3 bar map sensor but I need to get the wideband sensor for the AFR. I'll take a look at that setup and PM you with any questions if you don't mind? Just to make sure I'm clear, the monitoring and data logging are used to make adjustments to the tune for better performance but after the tune is setup and good to go, are there variations to the boost or AFR that require monitoring so something doesn't damage the motor?
tdsikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
You can PM me whenever and I'll help.

The afr and boost are indeed used to dial in the tune (along with MANY other parameters). Once the tune is set, they are typically used to monitor to ensure things are right. But the honest truth is that they really aren't needed. I think they are there to add a "cool factor" to the car more than they serve otherwise. But nice to have....no doubt. Just be smart with it. Getting into boost on the street while staring at gauges rather than the road can lead to a disaster real quick. That's why I really like this dashcommand app with the kiwi. You can do a hit, then go back and look at via the data log. And it's relatively cheap compared to other data log systems.

Now if you want to go all out...buy the HP Tuner Pro system (still need the wideband) and then you have full blown access to your tune and datalogging. But it's $650.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
I like to be able to monitor boost, afr and any knock
I use a aeroforce scan gauge with wide band input from aem wide band and it's reads boost from my zr1 sensor. I can also "record" with the gauge when I do a run than replay to see what everything is doing
Will be going hp tuners in the future but for now this gets it done
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Sorry for the late reply, and lack of reply. My notifications are not coming in properly. Sometimes I get notification that someone has replied to a thread, sometimes I don't.

Anyway, like already stated, I also would never drive my FI car without at least a basic AFR gauge, boost for me is a must too, but that's just me.

OP you want an AFR gauge in your car, to see if your car is running too lean, too lean can mean bye bye to your engine. Thats just one reason you want an AFR gauge in your car's cockpit. Another is for data logging.

Things in my car happen so fast, I don't have time or the skill set to look at my gauges while WOT. It takes all I have to keep the car straight. Don't get me wrong, I can look quickly enough to see if its safe or not, for the most part anyway, but as for a good look at the actual AFR through the power band/gear, I just don't have the time or focus to watch it the whole time.I do data log all my important parameters, for later review. That will give my tuner everything he needs to know.

There are other programs and apps that let you data log and record it, but most tuners that use HPTuners like data logs from HPTuners, reason for that is its easy to transform the logs into a change in the tune. Most time its a matter of "copy" and "paste" or "paste special"....

There is a product that may suit you perfectly, it will keep you from damaging your car, and your tuner can set it up.

check this out. its more than just a AFR gauge. It will take the pressure off of you to watch the gauge or log your AFR. It will shut you down if you run too lean.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...failsafe-gauge

Like CC rider, feel free to pm me with any questions or issues you may have, I will be happy to help if I can.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #19
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Just to be clear, the AEM failsafe gauge has an output that can trigger something, it doesn't automatically shut down anything. It all depends on what you set it up to to do. Stock ECU doesn't offer many options on how to use a failsafe trigger.

A boost controller or aftermarket ECU adds some great options for a fail safe trigger.