Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
Help identify this piston

This might be hard to see but only Pic I have. From the picture does this look like a oem replacement piston or is this a domed pistons?

Long story short new rebuild and making a knock. Pulled the heads to check it out. It's supposed to be an oem replacement but I sent the picture to another speed shop and he said it's a domed piston. It looks domed to me but I wanted an opinion before I raise hell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
WTF that is something.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Witt51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
WTF that is something.
Ya I don't know what to do about it I know that both speed shop and machine shop will just blame each other . The car was finished over a year ago and only 700 miles after rebuild. I've had some life issues happening so it went on the back burner and now I'm trying to get it fixed.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Those are not factory pistons, someone pulled a fast one and probably threw in something they had laying around to make some money. Sucks to have scum bags out there doing this stuff. Makes you want to kick someones ass. Those are some type of aftermarket small dome piston, what brand is anyones guess.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
Witt51

This entire build cost almost 9 k and they had the car for 9 months. I complained about issues and I was blown off cause they already got my money. I sent the oil off to Blackstone and waiting for results. Most likely I will be rebuilding this myself. No wonder why I noticed this shop reputation is going down hill and I've seen more and more complaints

Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Keep us updated to what happens.......
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Witt51

They will act dumb but I'm putting a nasty review on the speed shop and machine shop. Just talking to both shops about the knock they blamed each other and the speed shop said they can pull the motor again for me but I will pay for it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
Witt51

I will. I made a post about the speed shop and how I was treated before and someone called and told him about it. He brought it up to me when I talked to afterwards.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Witt51

I'm going to post this here. I put everything together on the engine. On startup I get this knock. After warmup it dies down quite a bit. I was told it was piston slap by the shop. Cam and lifters looked fine. The oil was sent off to Blackstone and found a little bit of lead but said it could be from fuel additives. Nothing else showed up. The engine has less than a thousand miles on it. This car has turned into a pain in the ass for the past few years. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a667d3f37f81/34129.mp4

Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
1st, yeah that is definitely not an oem piston! Take a look at my cam swap post a coiple down and you can see a stock one is flat on top.

As for your video..If it goes away when warm, it most likely IS piston slap. However, that sounds a lot louder than the piston slap I usually hear. Did the pistons physically feel loose in the bore when you had heads off? And was there a noticeable cross hatch in the cylinders still? Makes me wonder if they didn't just stick some random pistons in there and said good enough.
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Witt51

They felt tight and I checked cross batch on them. On one cylinder it looked slightly smooth on the one bore. I figured that was from the piston slap.

The noise gets a lot quieter but of course I can hear it but most people probably can't.
The heads are shaved by. 030. The cam is a custom grind from Brian tooley. I don't know if all that will matter when it comes to making noise. It had a good amount of carbon build up on heads but I cleaned that up and put a catch can. I was wondering if my gas wasn't high enough octane and detonating.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Knock could be in the tune, check measurements of pistons vs bore, view all the bearings. What oil and weight and how full? Valves make noise initially on startup with certain oil weights and higher fill levels. Could you be confusing that with piston slap? What was your oil pressure? You can also use a handheld or demand your tuner log knock sensor files while driving. What octane are you using vs what was it tuned for? There should be ZERO noticeable piston slap on a stock bore stock style piston build. Just tossing out theories since hands-on is the only way to know. And with that much oil I'd be looking at your valve seals.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Witt51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Knock could be in the tune, check measurements of pistons vs bore, view all the bearings. What oil and weight and how full? Valves make noise initially on startup with certain oil weights and higher fill levels. Could you be confusing that with piston slap? What was your oil pressure? You can also use a handheld or demand your tuner log knock sensor files while driving. What octane are you using vs what was it tuned for? There should be ZERO noticeable piston slap on a stock bore stock style piston build. Just tossing out theories since hands-on is the only way to know. And with that much oil I'd be looking at your valve seals.
I've talked to the tuner when I initially had the issue and he swore that the computer will adjust for knock and is set to a 14.7:1 a/f. I use the mobile 1 suggested oil and I've changed the oil level a few times to see if that's the issue also. My oil pressure is around 60 at startup and stays around 32 or so at normal Temps. At that time the noise is almost gone. Just loud enough that I can hear it but of course I'm focused on finding it. I also thought I've had a bad tank of gas and it's tuned for 93. I just recently added race gas to see if it helps but I'm not sure how long that takes to adjust. I had alot of oil in the intake manifold before I removed the heads. The speed shop said it was carbon build up that was causing detonation and since that I put on a catch can on. The seals were tested also when it was rebuilt. The builder also told me that with the headers, the cam and shaved heads it's going to be louder but before that my other builds were never that loud. I had the crank walk and everything was replaced. So everything was brand new

The machine shop had no answer to why those pistons were put in. They don't look stock or the oem replacements I asked for. I'm starting to feel like those pistons are the key to this. I was already running a 12:1 compression with stock pistons and the domed ones have me worried that compression is too much. I've thought about putting thicker head gasket in there. I don't know if this different piston would have a slap to it but doubt that.

Also like to add that this build was completed a year and a half ago. I started working to fix it but I was kind brushed off by the machine shop and speed shop. I then shortly had emergency back surgery and I'm just now starting to really recover from that. That's why it's taken so long to get back on it.

I did the disconnect the coils from each cylinder and no change at all. I probably need to do a leak down and compression test on it.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
Synner

Drives: cars
I understand emergency back surgery. 11 screws and steel rod in May, garage is filled with parts waiting to be installed and night stand covered in pills waiting to be taken that don't help. 2 injections today, another in 2 weeks.

Based on that I'd look at the tune, combustion volume, and piston rings. You don't get so much oil it causes knock unless they dorked up the rings or valve seals. Catch can has nothing to do with it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote