Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Alright so I've got mine put in. Thanks GearHeadPeter. That DIY was a big help. I managed to have it all done in 10 minutes or so.

Before:

After:

Some extra:
Shout out to AAC for my DRL's and my halo's..!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Excellent, and they look great. Glad I could help.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
thanks!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #18
BUMBLE1

Drives: 2LT/RS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Once you take the black cap off of the headlight assembly you need to put your hand in and grasp the locking ring as shown in the first picture and turn it counter-clockwise. It is very tight and will twist, but you will have to put some muscle into it. If you have a large hand getting someone with a smaller hand would help a lot.

Once the ring is all the way counter-clockwise remove the bulb, but do not touch the lens as the oils in your hand will create hot spots on the bulb and burn it out faster.

Once the bulb is out of the headlight assembly remove the electrical plug on the ballast, that is the square thing the bulb is attached to. I did not remove the ground wire from the battery, but if you feel as you have to for your peace of mind then go for it. I changed the bulbs right after they were on numerous times and nothing happened.

Once the bulb is out you will see the locking ring as shown in pic two.

The ring comes off the base by pushing and then pulling the ring to one side as shown in pic three.

The removed locking is shown in pic four.

Holding the new D1S bulb put the locking ring back on and make sure it is turned to the Open position as it is marked on the ring. Reinsert the plug into the ballast, and again do not touch the bulb put it back into the headlight housing. Make sure the bulb is securely in place by ensuring the plug is facing straight down otherwise the beam will not be straight.

Twist the locking ring clockwise to lock it.

Do the other side. Hook up the negative battery cable if you disconnected it and turn on the headlights to make sure they light up.

If everything is Ok then put the black cap of the headlight assembly back on and congratulate yourself.

Get a beer or other appropriate beverage and enjoy your new lights.
I've been looking for this info for weeks, Thanks for posting.
BUMBLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Not a problem. I write documentation for my work, and it spills over to my building cars. Like building cars better.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
how in the hell did u remove the bulb. i have taken everything out but can not figure how to get the new bulb in. please help
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
BUMBLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
how in the hell did u remove the bulb. i have taken everything out but can not figure how to get the new bulb in. please help
I’m confused; did you get the old bulb out or not?
If you did the new one goes back in by reversing the order you took the old one out.
If not then take the black cap off of the back of the headlight assembly you need to put your hand in and grasp the locking ring turn it counter-clockwise. It is very tight and will twist, but you will have to put some muscle into it.

I had a hard time with it as well but GearHeadPeter showed me the light.
Start at the top of this post and you should have no problems, I didn’t think I could do it but I did.
The ring inside the headlight is very tight, if you can’t get the ring to twist I suggest you have someone do it or you will screw up the light.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Where are you guys getting the D1s bulbs at? I don't want to pay $200 for a pair but don't want Chinese crap either.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
BUMBLE1

Well I can tell you this, I have the Chinese crap and only payed $30.
I have not had any problems at all but if you feel $200 lights will work better have at it.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
bajamoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE1 View Post
Well I can tell you this, I have the Chinese crap and only payed $30.
I have not had any problems at all but if you feel $200 lights will work better have at it.
Re read what I wrote before you get all butt hurt. I said I don't want to pay $200 for a pair of lights.

I was more or less asking where people are buying them from. What website?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
Quote:
I’m confused; did you get the old bulb out or not?
If you did the new one goes back in by reversing the order you took the old one out.
If not then take the black cap off of the back of the headlight assembly you need to put your hand in and grasp the locking ring turn it counter-clockwise. It is very tight and will twist, but you will have to put some muscle into it.

I had a hard time with it as well but GearHeadPeter showed me the light.
Start at the top of this post and you should have no problems, I didn’t think I could do it but I did.
The ring inside the headlight is very tight, if you can’t get the ring to twist I suggest you have someone do it or you will screw up the light.
thanks for the response bro.
yeah i did get the old one out, but i went to auto parts store and they gave a different replacement bulb. so now im trying to figure out how and the hell does this bulb go in.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #26
BUMBLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
Re read what I wrote before you get all butt hurt. I said I don't want to pay $200 for a pair of lights.

I was more or less asking where people are buying them from. What website?
Look on E-Bay, and no I don't get butt hurt. I still have $170 in my pocket.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #27
BUMBLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
thanks for the response bro.
yeah i did get the old one out, but i went to auto parts store and they gave a different replacement bulb. so now im trying to figure out how and the hell does this bulb go in.
Look on E-Bay, most auto parts stores don't have a clue and E-Bay will be cheaper. I got my 8000K lights on E-Bay for $30.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
bajamoon

Quote:
Look on E-Bay, and no I don't get butt hurt. I still have $170 in my pocket.

Thanks. I have seen them all over eBay but just hesitant. I will buy from a seller with good feedback.