Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
2010-2013 LED Reverse Light Upgrade

I need your help here. I use V-LEDs for all of my LED lighting. Their bulbs are bright and last a long time. I migrated many of them I purchased 5 years ago to my Camaro. I know one of our biggest gripes about this Camaro is switching from the halogen P13W reverse bulbs to something nice. Unfortunately, the only option is the Oracle kit which is $200. As nice as that is, who wants to pay this?

At the start of the summer, I asked V-LED why they do not have an LED for our reverse lights. They claimed there was low demand yet I see constant pining for it here. I told them, and they started making a prototype which I test-fitted for them. I am not allowed to post photos per my agreement with them. Unfortunately, it did not fit, but I told them what needed to change. It was really close. They want to make the bulb, but they still feel the volume would be too low to design the proper base. I am asking people here to contact V-LED and tell them you are interested. If more people ask about it, then we could see it made this year. We all know the replacement cost of the bulb already is $30 or more. Wouldn't you rather pay that into a nice replacement LED pair? The cost would likely be $70-80 a pair as that is what I paid for their DRL replacements.

www.vleds.com

Thank you for listening. I love this community. Do it for all of us! Good luck.
the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
a set of nice LED reverse lights for $100 would sell like crazy
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
I wrote to them. They wrote back that they have no plans to develop this bulb
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Most people don't reverse so fast that they need brighter than the sun LED reverse lights. That's why they don't sell.

Most of us are compentent enough to go slow in reverse because it's usually backing up 20 feet or so to get in or out of a driveway or parking place.

Backup lights are made to warn people behind you that you are going to back up.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
While I agree mostly with CamaroFred. I live in a place with a 40' curved driveway. When I'm backing up at night to leave, I pucker up because there's about a 3' drop-off into the culvert on each side. The stock lights on a 2013 are abysmal to say the least so LEDs of some sort, whether bulbs or light strip, are in the near future. I'm just not sure which way to go. Sure would have been nice if they had been designed a little better for ease of access.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
The last time I had the rear bumper off, I epoxied a mount for a 194 bulb socket to the back of the reverse lamp housing. Then wired up a 194 socket. Now I can use any cheap 194 LED bulb. I'm currently using some I had laying around. I did this so the color would match my license plate lights, but the side effect is that they're freaking bright.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
...Backup lights are made to warn people behind you that you are going to back up.
Backup lights in newer cars today, are used as "exit lighting", just like headlights, with a time limit you adjust in settings. In other words, a car that might look like it's backing up, is really parked with engine off.

They also help light up the surrounding areas in back up camera screens. Not all cameras have military grade night vision .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Backup lights in newer cars today, are used as "exit lighting", just like headlights, with a time limit you adjust in settings. In other words, a car that might look like it's backing up, is really parked with engine off.

They also help light up the surrounding areas in back up camera screens. Not all cameras have military grade night vision .
This is why we want the brighter bulbs. I got a reverse frame from VLED to supplement my camera. Wow, I could see so much further and clearer.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
https://www.phastekperformance.com/L...s-3003-000.htm
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
This is the exact reason I encourage everyone to push VLEDs. The Oracle set is nice, but $200 is excessive for this application. Even they should know better.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
the85darkknight

I purchased the only pair of bulbs I found on Amazon from iJDMToy. They have turned out to be quite nice, and I do recommend them as an alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust